• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

egiv

I applied to the August IDC board for Intel and IW, in that order. Here are my stats:

BA, History from Lake Forest College, MA, International Relations from Syracuse
GPA: 3.8
OAR: 54

My recruiter said the board will meet in mid-August and we should hear back in mid-September. Anyone know when those who get selected at this board would actually be looking at going to OCS?

exNavyOffRec

I applied to the August IDC board for Intel and IW, in that order. Here are my stats:

BA, History from Lake Forest College, MA, International Relations from Syracuse
GPA: 3.8
OAR: 54

My recruiter said the board will meet in mid-August and we should hear back in mid-September. Anyone know when those who get selected at this board would actually be looking at going to OCS?

The board is remote, so once the applications are burned on the CD they are sent to the board members, generally it takes just a few weeks.

When you go depends on what you put for date available and who is ahead of you, there are already people that are FY 14 selects that have OCS dates, the bad thing is that decreases the number of spots still available.

If you are a no go for this round have you thought about SWO? your stats are much better suited for that designator based on the new program authorization.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
The board is remote, so once the applications are burned on the CD they are sent to the board members, generally it takes just a few weeks.

When are materials finalized and sent to board members? My OR is scheduling an interview for me that he says can be added to my kit after the submission date because it is not a required item (I already know that my app is pro-board in CIRIMS at this point). Trying to figure out that schedule so my sheets get uploaded in time.

egiv

Thanks for your response, NavyOffRec. I've thought about SWO, but intelligence is really my goal; if I have to go at it again, it's definitely a possibility (although I'll be 27 in Oct so I might be pushing it).

So, would selectees willing to go immediately be looking at leaving before the end of the year or could they be waiting 5-6 months? Just trying to get an idea, because I was offered a decent job (which I would leave if selected) and I'm deciding whether or not to accept it to cover myself on the back end.

exNavyOffRec

When are materials finalized and sent to board members? My OR is scheduling an interview for me that he says can be added to my kit after the submission date because it is not a required item (I already know that my app is pro-board in CIRIMS at this point). Trying to figure out that schedule so my sheets get uploaded in time.

Everything has a place in the application, once submitted that is it, everything is uploaded in CIRIMS, to upload another piece to the application it has to be rejected added, then rescanned, NRC has told NRD's over and over again, once the application is submitted no more.

Looking at the date when the applications closed they are probably already or about to be scanned in, and to be honest unless you have worked for this person for a while the interview isn't going to do much good.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for your response, NavyOffRec. I've thought about SWO, but intelligence is really my goal; if I have to go at it again, it's definitely a possibility (although I'll be 27 in Oct so I might be pushing it).

So, would selectees willing to go immediately be looking at leaving before the end of the year or could they be waiting 5-6 months? Just trying to get an idea, because I was offered a decent job (which I would leave if selected) and I'm deciding whether or not to accept it to cover myself on the back end.

Just depends on who is in front of you.

How long has your OR been and OR and what rank is he?

egiv

Just depends on who is in front of you.

How long has your OR been and OR and what rank is he?

She is a Lieutenant, I'm not sure how long she has been doing it, although she seems young. Extremely helpful, responsive and organized, I've been impressed and happy to be working with her.

exNavyOffRec

She is a Lieutenant, I'm not sure how long she has been doing it, although she seems young. Extremely helpful, responsive and organized, I've been impressed and happy to be working with her.

I was wondering because IW doesn't match up with your background and wasn't sure if it was a "hail mary" shot or something else.

CTFly1

I've posted my stats elsewhere as well. I won't be submitting until the December boards, but I'm currently putting my package together so I figured I'd join in the discussion.

Designators Listed: SNA/SNFO/IW
Age 27
5 Years AD (CTI1)
3.9 GPA - BS Lib Arts
3.9 GPA - AA Persian Farsi
4.0 GPA - 2 trimesters of Pashto language studies (1 more semester to receiving AA degree in Pashto)
Evals - MP (only observed eval from graduating group at A school) EP, EP, EP, MP (First E6 eval)
ASTB - 6/7/7
OAR - 56
ACT - 29
JCOM/NAM/AAM
Afghanistan SPECWAR IA (Filled E8 billet as a frocked E5)
Deployed on 2 LANTFLT combatants
A lot of volunteer/tutoring hours (Wounded Warrior Project, Habitat for Humanity, Etc.)
Div/Dept fitness leader, Muster PO, Squad Leader, Class Leader, ALPO, Lead Operator, NCOIC (Afghanistan)

CTFly1

Oh right... forgot to mention...
LORs - 2x O-6 (both former CO's), O-5 (classmate for 13 months in language school), O-4 (Ops Officer at previous command)
one of the O-6's is an Aviator, as are the O-5 and O-4
Interviews - 2x O-6, 2x O-5

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Everything has a place in the application, once submitted that is it, everything is uploaded in CIRIMS, to upload another piece to the application it has to be rejected added, then rescanned, NRC has told NRD's over and over again, once the application is submitted no more.

Looking at the date when the applications closed they are probably already or about to be scanned in, and to be honest unless you have worked for this person for a while the interview isn't going to do much good.

Thanks for the gouge, it did seem strange that I could add materials right up to the board date like that but my OR has been pretty insistent about it working that way. We only really started looking for someone right at the deadline, assuming that more flexible deadline. Of course, part of that was driven by the board moving up by two months with only a few weeks' notice before the new deadline (true for all of us, of course). If my packet is confirmed in CIRIMS and accepted by the community manager, that sounds pretty much set as you suggest.

Guess it is good to know that lacking an interview isn't a major downside - I've never worked in a military setting or with current/former personnel, so it would have been a blind date. Will still do it if we get one set up, though, in case I don't make it this time and need to submit again!

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the gouge, it did seem strange that I could add materials right up to the board date like that but my OR has been pretty insistent about it working that way. We only really started looking for someone right at the deadline, assuming that more flexible deadline. Of course, part of that was driven by the board moving up by two months with only a few weeks' notice before the new deadline (true for all of us, of course). If my packet is confirmed in CIRIMS and accepted by the community manager, that sounds pretty much set as you suggest.

Guess it is good to know that lacking an interview isn't a major downside - I've never worked in a military setting or with current/former personnel, so it would have been a blind date. Will still do it if we get one set up, though, in case I don't make it this time and need to submit again!

A heads up IDC has a very very very low rate of picking people that have been a non select before for IDC, essentially IDC is a one shot deal which is unlike SWO/Pilot/NFO

CTFly1

A heads up IDC has a very very very low rate of picking people that have been a non select before for IDC, essentially IDC is a one shot deal which is unlike SWO/Pilot/NFO

I am debating about what to apply for on the December 2nd boards. I am definitely doing SNA/SNFO as my first and second choices. For my third designator I am between IW and SWO. I would rather do IW, but I know SWO has higher acceptance rates. I also know that my application stats (listed previously in this thread) that I fit more with SWO (non-technical major/lacking calc), but I also have 5 years of experience working in the IW world and have strong language proficiency in 3 languages (Farsi, Dari, Pashto). Based on your experience, what sort of recommendation would you have?

exNavyOffRec

I am debating about what to apply for on the December 2nd boards. I am definitely doing SNA/SNFO as my first and second choices. For my third designator I am between IW and SWO. I would rather do IW, but I know SWO has higher acceptance rates. I also know that my application stats (listed previously in this thread) that I fit more with SWO (non-technical major/lacking calc), but I also have 5 years of experience working in the IW world and have strong language proficiency in 3 languages (Farsi, Dari, Pashto). Based on your experience, what sort of recommendation would you have?

I think you have a strong shot at SNA or SNFO but for the third I would say SWO, none of the IW candidates I had that were picked up spoke any foreign language, but they did have tech degrees, the IW candidates that I saw submitted from my NRD that spoke foreign languages had non tech degrees and were not picked up.