• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

exNavyOffRec

I talked to the OCM for SWO and Supply and they said that I do not qualify for a waiver. I turned 32 last year, so no luck as far as SWO and Supply goes. I came into the navy when I was already "old" and had to work really hard to get a degree despite being on sea duty for 4.5 years. Do you know what the FY14 quota is for INTEL?

The FY14 quotas won't be out until late this year, this FY was the first year that the quotas were out before Feb. in general it is between 20-50 and of those 60% are supposed to be given to those with tech degrees.

Jon Jones

I have done some initial searching on my own, but I cannot find the selection board dates for this year at all. I know that Intel and IW selection board meets in October. I was going to apply for SWO/NFO but I won't get my package in on time...waiting on a medical waiver unfortunately. So, besides Intel and IW, what boards are meeting in October?

And with my specs, do I have a shot at getting picked up for Intel/IW if I applied? It is something I would be interested in still.
  • OAR: 60
  • GPA: 3.25 (BS in Public Relations - which is actually rooted pretty heavily in research and analysis although I'm sure this will be seen as a weak link in my application)
  • LOR from two professors; one college advisor; two employers
  • I have not taken anything above college algebra in college
Wishing I had done a hard science or math-based major now that my career goals have shifted toward the navy. Probably would have enjoyed that way more also.

Thanks in advance.

-Jon

exNavyOffRec

I have done some initial searching on my own, but I cannot find the selection board dates for this year at all. I know that Intel and IW selection board meets in October. I was going to apply for SWO/NFO but I won't get my package in on time...waiting on a medical waiver unfortunately. So, besides Intel and IW, what boards are meeting in October?

And with my specs, do I have a shot at getting picked up for Intel/IW if I applied? It is something I would be interested in still.
  • OAR: 60
  • GPA: 3.25 (BS in Public Relations - which is actually rooted pretty heavily in research and analysis although I'm sure this will be seen as a weak link in my application)
  • LOR from two professors; one college advisor; two employers
  • I have not taken anything above college algebra in college
Wishing I had done a hard science or math-based major now that my career goals have shifted toward the navy. Probably would have enjoyed that way more also.

Thanks in advance.

-Jon

Your best bet is probably SWO, with IW having calc and physics essentially required it becomes a very remote chance, Intel is slanted to picking 60% tech degrees.

Lions

I just heard a rumor about the Oct. board being moved to Aug. The new package deadline is July 17. I was hoping I could get some confirmation on that. Thanks

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
I just heard a rumor about the Oct. board being moved to Aug. The new package deadline is July 17. I was hoping I could get some confirmation on that. Thanks

Heard the same thing from my recruiter yesterday... currently scrambling to get my LORs from contacts I told had months to write, not weeks. On the other hand, I'm grateful we'll know the results much sooner than anticipated!

Tenzo82

Heard the same thing from my recruiter yesterday... currently scrambling to get my LORs from contacts I told had months to write, not weeks. On the other hand, I'm grateful we'll know the results much sooner than anticipated!
Let us know as soon as you find out mate!!! I need two more interview than I am done.

SodiumLeak

The FY14 quotas won't be out until late this year, this FY was the first year that the quotas were out before Feb. in general it is between 20-50 and of those 60% are supposed to be given to those with tech degrees.
Greetings sir, I was wondering how you think I look on paper for the board if I submit this year. OCS left me a bit hurt in 2012 with a package and another. I opted to apply for LDO, but wasn't selected, and I am applying again this year. Please shed light.

IW/IP/INTEL
CTN1
3.75 GPA
IDW/AW
MS Information Assurance.
BS Education
AS Computer Systems
ACE, Net+, Sec+, ECSA, LPT, CEH
1 JCOM
4 Nams
1 MOVSM
1 Floc
Ranked MP, MP, Transfer MP (command reorg/uic swap/new guy of 3 moving(1EP/1MP/1P) ), P (new guy), EP Transfer, MP
OAR - TBD (last time to up it over 50)
+10 yrs

exNavyOffRec

Greetings sir, I was wondering how you think I look on paper for the board if I submit this year. OCS left me a bit hurt in 2012 with a package and another. I opted to apply for LDO, but wasn't selected, and I am applying again this year. Please shed light.

IW/IP/INTEL
CTN1
3.75 GPA
IDW/AW
MS Information Assurance.
BS Education
AS Computer Systems
ACE, Net+, Sec+, ECSA, LPT, CEH
1 JCOM
4 Nams
1 MOVSM
1 Floc
Ranked MP, MP, Transfer MP (command reorg/uic swap/new guy of 3 moving(1EP/1MP/1P) ), P (new guy), EP Transfer, MP
OAR - TBD (last time to up it over 50)
+10 yrs

IDC is hard to say, it is more about identifying those that have low chance, the variable you have is you are AD in an IDC field and that will help because they prefer tech degrees, and yours is Education, it would help you more if you had a year of calc and physics.

What did you apply for last time? Given how competitive IDC is I would ask what have you done to improve your application from last time.

SodiumLeak

IDC is hard to say, it is more about identifying those that have low chance, the variable you have is you are AD in an IDC field and that will help because they prefer tech degrees, and yours is Education, it would help you more if you had a year of calc and physics.

What did you apply for last time? Given how competitive IDC is I would ask what have you done to improve your application from last time.

MS Information Assurance is a very technical degree. Are they overlooking that and going straight to the BS?

zeutheir

I'm glad to hear this board is happening (I only recently found the draft schedule a couple days ago). Also, I noticed this board convenes at the same time as a SNA/NFO/SWO board this fall. OR has mentioned Intel to me, but I didn't think I was competitive since I don't have a technical degree. Is it possible to put a package together to submit for consideration as Intel/NFO/SWO (in that order)? This site has been a tremendous help, but I definitely feel like I've got more to soak in.

I have B.A.s in Philosophy and Political Science and a minor in French with a 3.66 undergraduate GPA. I also have a law degree, but no I don't want to go JAG. I'm 26. No prior service.
My ATSB was 6/5/6 with a 57 OAR.
I've got a lot of community involvement and leadership on my resume (President of a couple major things in law school, Editor of a student newspaper there). Employment record is solid with great reviews, etc.
I guess I need to look into letters. I thought I was going to give my reference forms to employers and a professor, but apparently everyone gets them from officers? I don't know any personally, so is that what interviews are for? Sorry, this is like a dumb question.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks so much for the information gathered on these forums. It has already been a great help.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought I was going to give my reference forms to employers and a professor, but apparently everyone gets them from officers? I don't know any personally, so is that what interviews are for?
Common misconception; that Refs from Officers are preferred, the higher ranking... the better. That applies ONLY if the letter writer knows you well, and is familiar with your capabilities, personality, work/study habits, and importantly, leadership experience/potential. Anyone who has been in a supervisory position over you i.e., Teacher/Professor, work Supervisor/Manager, Scout Leader, immediate superior as in a Volunteer Program etc., is just as... or more valid as an Ref from a senior military Officer who you've only met once (if ever), and is in no position to evaluate your accomplishments and leadership potential.

Believe me, the boards read tons of Refs before/during deliberations, and can spot immediately, those standard "fill-in-the-blanks" form letters from military Officers. Same goes for Politicians such as CongressCritters, Mayors, and such (unless they are quite familiar with you). Even then, with Pols running at a ~10% approval rating, I'd avoid them like the plague!:eek:
Sorry, this is like a dumb question.
No, actually it's an insightful question, and should help clear up this misconception for other applicant's Ref letters.:)
Caveat: IMHO!
BzB

exNavyOffRec

I'm glad to hear this board is happening (I only recently found the draft schedule a couple days ago). Also, I noticed this board convenes at the same time as a SNA/NFO/SWO board this fall. OR has mentioned Intel to me, but I didn't think I was competitive since I don't have a technical degree. Is it possible to put a package together to submit for consideration as Intel/NFO/SWO (in that order)? This site has been a tremendous help, but I definitely feel like I've got more to soak in.

I have B.A.s in Philosophy and Political Science and a minor in French with a 3.66 undergraduate GPA. I also have a law degree, but no I don't want to go JAG. I'm 26. No prior service.
My ATSB was 6/5/6 with a 57 OAR.
I've got a lot of community involvement and leadership on my resume (President of a couple major things in law school, Editor of a student newspaper there). Employment record is solid with great reviews, etc.
I guess I need to look into letters. I thought I was going to give my reference forms to employers and a professor, but apparently everyone gets them from officers? I don't know any personally, so is that what interviews are for? Sorry, this is like a dumb question.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks so much for the information gathered on these forums. It has already been a great help.

You could, but even for those with tech degrees the selection rate is low for Intel as they get so many people that apply so just don't count on it.

How close are you to 27?