• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS stories/experiences

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I know there is a marine thread for funny stories and experiences and wanted to start a Navy thread. OCS is looming ahead of me so to take away some of the stress (or maybe to add some more) I was hoping some of you more experienced bubbas could add some funny or informative stories from your days at Navy OCS.

ok.....GO!:D

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Sorry, joboy. If we were to share our funny stories with you now, then it would ruin the surprise. Besides, until you go through OCS, you won't know/understand why most of them are funny. Don't get too stressed out about OCS right now. Just remember that a lot of people make it through every year. It's survivable.

snake020

Contributor
And remember a few people don't make it through each year. Stress out hard so you don't become one.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
And remember a few people don't make it through each year. Stress out hard so you don't become one.

I'll buy that, though I saw a lot more people have problems because they were too stressed than ones who were too chill. The stress will come naturally (trust me, you'll have plenty of it). Just make sure that you get in shape for OCS and be as prepared as you can going in. If you need any advice on that side, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Thanks everyone. I just remembered there being a marine thread, but I guess the marine that started it was already post-OCS and looking to share funny stories?

Anyway, I plan to be READY for OCS. I am just SO psyched to get there and at the same time, very afraid. The only reason I can forsee my not making it through is medical (something weird I never knew I had or something). I KNOW I want to be a Naval officer and Aviator and I'm READY for the journey to begin. If only my professors realized this and stopped assigning so many projects and homeworks! :icon_rage

Josh

I guess I'll revive this after OCS...

I'll buy that, though I saw a lot more people have problems because they were too stressed than ones who were too chill. The stress will come naturally (trust me, you'll have plenty of it). Just make sure that you get in shape for OCS and be as prepared as you can going in. If you need any advice on that side, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Well here's a story that doesn't spoil any surprises, unless you have a roommate like I had.

This guy was a bit of a heffer. He was on the NUPOC program back in the day before BDCP was fashionable, so he was getting cash all through college so that he would go to OCS and then go to nuke power school and onto subs. I guess after four years of living the cush lifestyle, OCS was a bit much for him. My roommate decided one night that he was going to leave, and he did. Just walked out of the room without waking me or the other two guys in the room and drove off. He came back a few days later and was placed in GTX or whatever the hell that company is called now. I guess after he tried to cut his wrists with a plastic spoon he was found NPQ and sent home. Didn't have to pay back the tens of thousands of dollars he was given during his time in school.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Well here's a story that doesn't spoil any surprises, unless you have a roommate like I had.

This guy was a bit of a heffer. He was on the NUPOC program back in the day before BDCP was fashionable, so he was getting cash all through college so that he would go to OCS and then go to nuke power school and onto subs. I guess after four years of living the cush lifestyle, OCS was a bit much for him. My roommate decided one night that he was going to leave, and he did. Just walked out of the room without waking me or the other two guys in the room and drove off. He came back a few days later and was placed in GTX or whatever the hell that company is called now. I guess after he tried to cut his wrists with a plastic spoon he was found NPQ and sent home. Didn't have to pay back the tens of thousands of dollars he was given during his time in school.

Wow, I had more of the "funny" or "motivating" stories in mind...this one is kind of depressing/weird. :eek:

BackOrdered

Contributor

:(

tailspin

Waaaaay back before you were born I showed up for OCS in wingtips and 3 piece suit, which gives you some idea how long ago it was. Wanted to show them, I guess, that if I wasn't an officer yet at least I was a gentleman. They coulda cared less, of course. It poured rain, I got soaked. When we were issued uniforms the suit went in a cardboard box and I didn't see it for 16 weeks. When I did, it almost crawled out under its own power. Closed in the dark and stored in a warm place it grew mold of so many species they maybe have one now called Neurospora Naviocs. Moral? Wear jeans. You'll get yelled at for being a scumbag, but then if you wear a suit they'd yell at you for being a dandy. Look at it this way, the process is designed to do exactly the same thing a POW camp does (with many of the same techniques): find out who is smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious (see above.) Where you go from OCS depends on it. You'll find some more morals to such stories at http://tailspinstales.blogspot.com.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
the process is designed to do exactly the same thing a POW camp does (with many of the same techniques).

I'd always heard that this was how OCS was structured. Glad someone could confirm this. Great site btw. I have a lot of reading to do..:D

tailspin

The Navy Way

I'd always heard that this was how OCS was structured. Glad someone could confirm this. Great site btw. I have a lot of reading to do..:D

Don't worry, they'll teach you everything you need to know. Boning up before you go probably won't really help much. Being in very good physical shape will help. No, better than that. Really good shape.

Single best piece of advise I can give you is keep your sense of humor. The guy that did the best in my OCS class was an enlisted guy that had been there, done that, seen it all before. His biggest problem was not smirking.

Let it roll off. Use the PT as an outlet. Work hard at the academics. It'll come like a fire-hose, but nothing like you'll see later.

But don't sweat the small stuff.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The guy that did the best in my OCS class was an enlisted guy that had been there, done that, seen it all before. His biggest problem was not smirking.
I was an Army Reserve Drill Sargent in my pre-AOCS life. I had this same problem....I was always mentally comparing the Gunny's techniques to the ones I used while teaching Army basic training. It resulted in smirks and chuckles that the Gunny did not appreciate...........

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Where you go from OCS depends on it.

Not any more, tailspin. Everybody in OCS knows exactly where they're going afterward (at least what community). As far as any kind of reputation following you...I wouldn't count on it for a few reasons:

A. Your primary contact in OCS is a Marine without too many other ties to the Navy.

B. The Naval officers you encounter at OCS are (generally) on their way out and more concerned with counting down the days until their seperation than what kind of officers are going through the pipeline.

C. If you're an aviator (especially pilot), there was not a single pilot (staff) at OCS when I was there. For a pilot LT to go to OCS would be career suicide.

Ironnads

Some chick showed up while I was a candio that gave us all a laugh. On day 1 she stepped out of the infamous OCS van wearing a suit and heels. She easily weighed 250 lbs. On the in PRT she could not do a single push up and we almost killed her on the run which she did not finish. Needless to say she didn't make it.
One day during PT a DCO class came out to run a few laps. Some DCO homo DOR'd after one lap. So our DI put us on our faces and made us push while this guy was sulking on a bench. As we went down we yelled "COULDN'T HACK IT", up, "HAD TO PACK IT", down, "GOTTA GO", up, "DCO". Moral of the story.........don't be the dumbass that shows up unprepared.