• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Status FY 13

john kalafatis

pro-rec IW
If the goals don't go up who knows.

I will tell you what happened before when the IDC made selections and didn't pay attention to what NRC said about billets, they selected several for IP, overselected is a better term, then they figured they would roll the others to the next FY, but the goals went to nothing, so they rolled them again, nearly 2 years later these guys are now about to go to OCS.

When I look at the situation I see Deja Vu.

Is it a because there are a shortage of billets after these folks finish their initial training? Are any of the IDC pro-recs from FY 12 getting into OCS before FY-13?

exNavyOffRec

Is it a because there are a shortage of billets after these folks finish their initial training? Are any of the IDC pro-recs from FY 12 getting into OCS before FY-13?

It is due to the board not listening to NRC who gets the info from NPC, most of those that were listed as FY12 were done so when no more billets existed for FY12, those in the best position are those on active duty, since they had to have everything done prior to submission they are top on the list to go to OCS.

DeepSeaNess

PRO-BOARD EOD/SWO-ED
NavyOffRec,
The FY13 boards for EOD "selection process already started" do you happen to know the deadline for package submission to be considered for FY 13 accessions? NPC says August, but if this is true I am surprised the selection process has already started.
NavyOffRec,
I will be submitting as an AD applicant. Perhaps off topic for this forum, but how much does a selection board scrutinize your preferred designators? Does putting a selection as secondary decrease your chances of being picked up for either choices?

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,
I will be submitting as an AD applicant. Perhaps off topic for this forum, but how much does a selection board scrutinize your preferred designators? Does putting a selection as secondary decrease your chances of being picked up for either choices?

The only designator that "seems" to do this is Supply, but they are closed for FY13

SN0610

pilot
NavyOffRec,
Does this mean all the SNA slots could be filled at the next (July) Board or will they most likely be filled over the course of the next few boards?

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
Identified means people that have signed paperwork, or had paperwork issued, or been board selected.

Identified does not mean they have met goal, but they are on track.

The Navy always has more pilots than NFO's, generally you see a goal for NFO about 25% if pilot, now what you said is correct and that is part of the reason NFO is so low, people switch at OCS.
Is "board selected" the same as pro rec'd? Many people are pro rec'd for both SNA and NFO, so I wonder how that affects the numbers.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Identified means people that have signed paperwork, or had paperwork issued, or been board selected.

Identified does not mean they have met goal, but they are on track.

The Navy always has more pilots than NFO's, generally you see a goal for NFO about 25% if pilot, now what you said is correct and that is part of the reason NFO is so low, people switch at OCS.

I may be biased as an SNA select, but why would anyone, besides medical reasons, switch from SNA to SNFO?

BackOrdered

Contributor
I may be biased as an SNA select, but why would anyone, besides medical reasons, switch from SNA to SNFO?

I honest don't get the question asked and assume it is rhetorical.

SNFO, on paper, may just appeal more to the person, but why would you need someone else to tell you that?

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I honest don't get the question asked and assume it is rhetorical.

SNFO, on paper, may just appeal more to the person, but why would you need someone else to tell you that?

I asked because in OCS you aren't really exposed, to my knowledge, to the working side of your designation (i.e you become an officer, not a student naval aviator). If someone was going to switch because of preference, I would think that would usually occur sometime in API or Primary where they are exposed to the differences between the two and are in the aviation environment.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I asked because in OCS you aren't really exposed, to my knowledge, to the working side of your designation (i.e you become an officer, not a student naval aviator). If someone was going to switch because of preference, I would think that would usually occur sometime in API or Primary where they are exposed to the differences between the two and are in the aviation environment.

SNA is a calling in and of itself. Personally being a pilot, much like riding a motocycle, is something I would try, but not do for a living. I can see someone deciding they don't want to be a SNA long before Primary or API, but still wanting to be involved in Aviation as a NFO. Your question sounded as if such a notion/mindset was farfetched.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
SNA is a calling in and of itself. Personally being a pilot, much like riding a motocycle, is something I would try, but not do for a living. I can see someone deciding they don't want to be a SNA long before Primary or API, but still wanting to be involved in Aviation as a NFO. Your question sounded as if such a notion/mindset was farfetched.

I understand where you are coming from. The post I quoted with my original statement was speaking of SNAs re designating to NFOs while at OCS for non-medical reasons. As you said, if I changed my mind, I'd be way more likely to re designate either before or after OCS, but not while I'm getting the crap kicked out of me at it. Aviation would be the last thing on my mind.

Rik

NavOffRec,
Are you able to give any insight as to why there would be a board held even though that particular community doesn't have any quotas? I am aware that they can possibly pick for the next fiscal year, but then that would mean that they have quotas of some sort... Also, are the numbers posted accurate? Meaning that last year, there were 7 available spots open for a community but they ended up selecting 9. Thank you for your time.