• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS length and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I found the best thing to do was to wear a white athletic sock under the black boot socks. The corpsman recommended we do this because it would keep our feet cooler and draw the moisture away so we wouldn't get blisters. It definitely worked for me!

harveyryanj

A bit of advice...

I attended Bulldog in the summer of 2003... Two words to heed regarding humping in general: Thorlo & Compeed! OCS humps are not as difficult as some humps I have had the "pleasure" of going on, but they are not easy on the feet. Proper foot care consists of many things, however, preventing blisters, or caring for blisters is crucial to maintain sanity at OCS. Thorlo boot socks are not cheap, but are well worth the investment. I took six pair with me, and supplemented them with Compeed Band-Aids. I had no trouble with blisters at all by utilizing the combination of the two. As aforementioned, Thorlos are not cheap (approximately $10 per pair), and Compeed Band-Aids are not that cheap either, but both are well worth the expense. Trust me, your feet will thank you later! ;)

Cortney

Hey everyone! I'm hoping to go to OCS next summer (10 wks) and was told by a Lt Col that it requires a lot of upper body strength...more than just being able to tackle the flexed arm hang. I can hold my own with pushups and the flexed arm hang, but definitely don't consider myself that strong. Can anyone give me some ideas for adequately increasing my upper body strength for OCS? Thanks!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
trongod46 said:
what is the deal with the "bridge" that some people have made comments on?

sorry, it's something that has to be experienced to understand. mere words cannot describes one's feelings about the bridge.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Just search "bridge" in the OCS forum and you'll get more than a few hits that will help enlighten you. It's nothing more than a switchback pedestrian bridge over the train tracks on the way to (and from) the chow hall. It's de-motivating ability can't be understated and can only be experienced. It sounds stupid, but when you've crossed it a few times you'll get it. There's some pictures floating around here of it.

Crowbar

None
Cortney said:
Hey everyone! I'm hoping to go to OCS next summer (10 wks) and was told by a Lt Col that it requires a lot of upper body strength...more than just being able to tackle the flexed arm hang. I can hold my own with pushups and the flexed arm hang, but definitely don't consider myself that strong. Can anyone give me some ideas for adequately increasing my upper body strength for OCS? Thanks!

I would agree with this statement. The O Course (and thusly the E course and the CRT) require large amounts of upper body strength. There will also be times during the LRC you need to climb up/over something. Rope climbs, cargo net climbs, blah blah blah, you need to have upper body strength. Start by practicing rope climbs (make sure you learn the right way to do it). If you want advice on lifting programs, ask. There are plenty of us who can point you in the right direction. Otherwise I won't bore you with workout details. But if you don't lift, I highly recommend you start.

Anyway, OCS is physically brutal but it's not impossible. Good luck.

d_bossart

For blisters I would recommend the Blister Guard boot socks with Teflon. They are socks that have Teflon woven into the toe and heel (Teflon helps eliminate friction). You can buy the boot sock and the liner sock off of "The Sock Company" web site. There not cheap, but they are worth it. The best way to prevent blisters is to run in your boots before OCS so you can toughen your feet up before you go (get bad blisters and then let them heal).

Cortney

Crowbar - Thanks! I'd definitely appreciate some ideas for lifting programs. I don't really know the best way to go about building strength other than just hittin up all the machines at the gym...so anything would be helpful. :)

trongod46

pilot
well i saw some pics of the bridge, i see your point could get a bit annoying, but, when i was at paris island, 2nd Bat. was across the parade deck so every dang weekend you had to listen and hear a graduation and seeing people getting out of there, that is demoralizing@

KSUFLY

pilot
I have a quick question. I asked my recruiter yesterday if we'll have to run in boots at Navy OCS and he said, "no." Do you not have to run in boots during the hump?

Clux4

Banned
trongod46 said:
what is the deal with the "bridge" that some people have made comments on?

The bridge is an experience of its own. It is so wonderful we look forward to the end of the day when we know we do not have a trip until next morning. It is such a torture you count how many steps it takes to cross it. One other thing, you will count how many more times you have to get on it when you start getting close to the end of your stay.

Clux4

Banned
KSUFLY said:
I have a quick question. I asked my recruiter yesterday if we'll have to run in boots at Navy OCS and he said, "no." Do you not have to run in boots during the hump?

We run in boots all the time. I will not necessarily say we run in boots when we hump, but there will be a fair amount of running you may need to do. Such as (Staff - "AT&T") (Cand.s reply - "Reach out and touch someone")

KBayDog

trongod46 said:
well i saw some pics of the bridge, i see your point could get a bit annoying, but, when i was at paris island, 2nd Bat. was across the parade deck so every dang weekend you had to listen and hear a graduation and seeing people getting out of there, that is demoralizing@

I, too, was 2ndBn PISC (Golf 2014, grad. Jan '97), but I found the weekly graduations to be motivating as hell (especially when all the "Suzies" were in on Thurs and Fridays ;) ).

Trust me, the Bridge SUCKS. At 2ndBn, you had to march maybe a block for chow. At OCS, you have to march...then route step up and over the bridge...then march a few kilometers a day just to get chow!!!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
the bridge SUCKS!!!! route step with a stomach full of chow blows. And that 5.7 was a cake walk for you in second Plt., but being the the last candidate at the end of the company in 3rd, we RAN those 5.7 the whole way. lol, it's all good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.