• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Chow Hall Procedures

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Do they do this at Marine PLC?

Not when I went through Juniors this summer.

But, you will have plenty of encouragement from your staff to finish your meals in a timely manner. It is hard at first, but you're stomach expands and you learn what to grab and what to leave behind.

About the third day I only chose a fork for my utensil, bad decision. I still fondly remember having my Platoon Sergeant and 2-3 other SI's screaming in my ear and pounding on the table ordering to finish the little bit of pudding I had on my tray. I can only imagine how hilarious I looked trying to scrape pudding out of the little section of my tray with the tip of my fork whilst screaming "Aye Aye, Staff Sergeant" and "Aye Aye, Gunnery Sergeant" at the top of my lungs. This went on for a good 3-5 minutes before I was ordered to just go.

After that I always got at least a fork and a spoon, never got pudding again, and always finished everything on my tray.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
hahaha I'm sure there will be. A little off topic..sorry, but does anyone know what the deal might be with the O-course during the winter?

We saw indoor high ropes equipment but I never saw it set up or used. It definitely did not look like it could provide anything like the real experience so hopefully they let you do it outside.

The everyday suckiness of OCS will probably not change too much with the changes, at least based on what I was told before I left. It sounds like they're mostly dialing down the intensity of certain parts. Either way it really doesn't matter, gouge on websites is pointless when you get to OCS. Just get in shape and study the big 3, that's the only gouge you need.

niktam

The O course that was set up towards the end of my Candi-O phase as per my DI went along the lines that it had so many weather/wind/rain restrictions that it was pretty much only going to be seen by classes that had perfect conditions, and in his opinion was a waste of time and money, because if all candidates couldn't use it, what was the point.

jtmedli

pilot
The O course that was set up towards the end of my Candi-O phase as per my DI went along the lines that it had so many weather/wind/rain restrictions that it was pretty much only going to be seen by classes that had perfect conditions, and in his opinion was a waste of time and money, because if all candidates couldn't use it, what was the point.

My class didn't get to do it. I didn't really care but some of the OCs were bummed about it. I'm in 05-11 BTW. We start Candi-O when we go back after Christmas.

The everyday suckiness of OCS will probably not change too much with the changes, at least based on what I was told before I left. It sounds like they're mostly dialing down the intensity of certain parts. Either way it really doesn't matter, gouge on websites is pointless when you get to OCS. Just get in shape and study the big 3, that's the only gouge you need.

This much is true. INDOC week will suck, be able to run something better than just a good-low (or whatever the minimum crap is) on your PFA, and know the Big 3 before you get there because that's clutch for pretty much every inspection you're going to do. If you can handle that, then you'll probably be just fine.

jtmedli

pilot
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being completely disgusting, how bad is the food?

Sometimes it's a 1. Other times, it's a 10. You'll eat lots of potatoes (in various forms) and rice. Overall, the chow is pretty good and it gets a lot better once you can start getting peanut butter and yogurt.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Sometimes it's a 1. Other times, it's a 10. You'll eat lots of potatoes (in various forms) and rice. Overall, the chow is pretty good and it gets a lot better once you can start getting peanut butter and yogurt.

And most days you'll be so hungry you won't care. Its amazing the things you'll start eating when thats all you have. I used to hate onion rings and blue cheese anything, and now I eat them (not all the time) with no problem. There are plenty of other examples as well.

Also French toast sticks for breakfast, cheeseburger wednesday, and your first pizza day are all pretty epic.

Oh god. I've been trying not to post as my handle is my name and all...but damn....french toast stick days are amazing. Best day of the 4 day cycle (french toast sticks -> pancakes -> french toast -> awful waffles -> repeat).

Overall, the food is a 1 rating, ignoring the awful waffles and the mushroom quiche. Good stuff. But as my 05-11 buddy stated, lots of potatoes.

They just changed around the mess hall, though. Hopefully it's not such a confused mess by the time the new classes come in.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
The best way to improve the waffles and pancakes is putting peanut butter on them or fruit(especially when there is still pineapple left). And if you're at the scullery and you see someone that didn't finish their french toast sticks, it is totally legit to grab them and shove them in your face or pocket.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The best way to improve the waffles and pancakes is putting peanut butter on them or fruit(especially when there is still pineapple left). And if you're at the scullery and you see someone that didn't finish their french toast sticks, it is totally legit to grab them and shove them in your face or pocket.

Lobster

Unless of course there is too much sand in your pockets to make it worth while...

You haven't gotten pegged yet by a DI or Chief for using your real name here yet? For shame! They used to be so much more vigilant! ;)

First (and would be only aside from this post) posting since admittance into OCS, so the lack of pain on my part is understandable. There have been a few people in the classes I've been in (and a CandiO or two) who have found me out, though.