• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Chow Hall Procedures

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
First (and would be only aside from this post) posting since admittance into OCS, so the lack of pain on my part is understandable. There have been a few people in the classes I've been in (and a CandiO or two) who have found me out, though.

Don't worry. I had Lazers sniffed out the day he came in.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Don't worry. I had Lazers sniffed out the day he came in.

I hope that is not the case for me. I will be happy to help out my shipmates but I don't want anymore attention on me except for what is needed. In fact, I plan on being so low key that at the graduation ceremony my DI and Class Chief are like, "Who the F is this guy!" ... ;)

Well that is my plan albeit an unrealistic one...

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
words words...
Well that is my plan albeit an unrealistic one...
Not impossible, just something you'll probably change your mind about. IMO the time to seek positive attention from Class Team is around the 2 week mark and onward if you want to test your leadership ability. Of course that's DOCT (dependent on class team) but if you've shown yourself as locked on and taking care of business, you generally get picked for good positions (i.e. not 1st LT).

BIG disclaimer...
Seeking attention of any sort from Class Team is dangerous in that anything good or bad you do is amplified (typically the bad more than the good). So just because you want to step up to the plate doesn't mean you should.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Being a recent OCS graduate, everything that has been posted here is correct. Except anyone going through OCS now, will have it easier. They changed many of the rules. Some of them include:
DI's now have to stay a certain distance away from candidates
No yelling in the chow hall
Candio's can't yell at OC's and can't use knife hands.

Also, don't be worried about chow hall procedures. They take some getting used to. But once you're past the first 2 weeks, it becomes second nature. Once you have them down, it's harder not to laugh at the person across from you than actually doing the procedures. Oh, and don't make eye contact with the DI's in the shark tank.

OCS sounds so lame now, although they had the "no yelling" in the chow hall rule back when i went through a few years ago it wasn't followed very often.

are candios not allowed to yell at indocs? the candios that yelled at OC's after the first two weeks were generally toolbags anyhow.

jtmedli

pilot
...are candios not allowed to yell at indocs? the candios that yelled at OC's after the first two weeks were generally toolbags anyhow.

Nope. I agree with the second part of what you said. The rule now is to use a "command voice" which is a bit subjective.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
A friend of mine from 05-15, said you can talk in the chow hall now. Not sure whether I heard him wrong?

torpedotor

Talking in the chow hall is a privilege that your class is generally granted as senior officer candidates (starting week 7), but like many privileges, it can be taken away if it is abused (i.e., talking gets too loud, people are laughing and joking around).

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Talking in the chow hall is a privilege that your class is generally granted as senior officer candidates (starting week 7), but like many privileges, it can be taken away if it is abused (i.e., talking gets too loud, people are laughing and joking around).

Well that doesnt sound likr itll make the last dinner before CandiO phase as fun anymore. ;)

Whitefoot

None
A friend of mine from 05-15, said you can talk in the chow hall now. Not sure whether I heard him wrong?
It is true. I was in 11-15 and they were changing a lot. You can talk around 6th week I think. The CO has a lot of changes in mind. Some of which are getting a lot of negative feedback from the DIs.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
I was 05-15 and we were definitely not allowed to chat freely as senior officer candidates. That change came after we were well gone. It was a surprise to me when I heard the news! I'm sure the DI's absolutely love the lack of discipline.

VoodooNova

None
I was 05-15 and we were definitely not allowed to chat freely as senior officer candidates. That change came after we were well gone. It was a surprise to me when I heard the news! I'm sure the DI's absolutely love the lack of discipline.

As 07-15, we weren't allowed to until Candi-O phase either.

torpedotor

Well that doesnt sound likr itll make the last dinner before CandiO phase as fun anymore. ;)
Oh no, it was still very, very fun.

And the DIs are actually adjusting quite well. They love weighing in on the volume level and conversation topics.

Larick

None
Contributor
If you're not playing switch the section leader during dinner the night before you become candios you are wrong. Haha!