• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ocs 187!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Allegedly, starting in May, they cut it down to 2 and thats it. They also got rid of the biological inventory. Has anyone here taken it within the last month?

plmtree

Another 187 hopeful. I applied for 186 but I won't mention the obvious.
Stats:
1110 SAT taken 3 years ago or so
90 AFQT on ASVAB (126GT, 125EL, 131CL, 115MM; for those of you who know the breakdown)
3.6 GPA Business Admin Major
289 PFT (will retake in Jul, will get better than 295)
5/6 ASTB (I know, I know this sucks)
7 yrs prior service
LOR from USMC Col, LtCol, Capt, CWO4, CWO3, SgtMaj
OSO included my meritorious promotion to Sgt back in 2001 and a NavyComm in Apr 2004 in his write up.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
If that is the case that you can only take it two times then looks like I will be busting my ass to get in shape so I can try for ground. However, my OSO never said anything about not being able to take it a third time. If any Os on here have the truth feel free to share.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Hey, are most of the guys in here prior service? I don't really understande the process you guys are going through. And what is PLC?

Whalebite

USMCAlumni,
Please do state the obvious, as I'm not seeing it. Your stats make you look like the best candidate there could possibly be, how could they turn you down? What were you applying for, you know why you weren't accepted?
Thanks

reapergm

Im with whalebite... what the heck! Those stats are awesome! That makes you a prime candidate. Especially being a prior... I dont understand how or why you are not in 186 right now.

plmtree

I thought I had a really good chance for 186, but as you guys can see, I'm not there. I got out of the Marine Corps this past April to finish my last semester and apply in time for 186. Everybody I worked with and all the RS command swore up and down that I already had a foot in, but that was it. Board let out and my name wasn't on the list. I asked my OSO and he said that it was a really tight board and that they only had a couple, and by a couple I mean 2, air slots. I'm in WA state, so I go through 12th District. He also said that because it was the last board for the FY and it was a combined OCS class. I don't know how much of this is true, but thanks for the props on my stats!

froghead1

So, if that was the board for the end of FY04 and included a combined OCS class, anyone have an idea what we're looking at for 187? More air slots, a bigger class? Thoughts?

E6286

OCC 191 Select
My guess is that 187 will be one of the easier classes to get into because its not the end of a college semester. Meaning, no college graduates. I bet January (188) will be decent sized but more competitive due to people graduating in December. Wish I was ready to apply now.

plmtree

Crap, I had a nice reply and my friendly computer decides it won't let me post it...Here it goes again.
I agree with E6286. This class is not at the end of a college semester so you won't have too many graduates trying for this one. But we will see those that didn't get accepted for 186. Kinda like us poor folks that are talking about a second application.
We also have the advantage that it is not a combined class, so PLC'rs aren't taking up our space at OCS (no offense to you PLC'rs out there). I'm pretty sure that in a combined class there are less allocations for OCC'rs to fill as a result of this.
Then you have to look at the politics. The board has to fill allocations according to race and gender and all that fun stuff, we gotta have EOE here, right?
Lets see, what else can I think about? The fact that 186 was at the end of the FY, I just don't buy it. You would think they would spread out allocations evenly thoughout all classes so that everybody has the same opportunity, right? But then you think about the combined classes, does this mean there are bigger classes or there are less allocations?
In the end, isn't it why we all wish each other good luck? Because it all comes down to luck? You guys have seen my stats and say they are very good (thanks whalebite and reapergm). When my OSO told me I didn't get accepted for 186, I asked him: "What do I need to do to improve my package and be more competitive? Walk on water? Give me a couple months and I'll figure out how." (Which by the way I'm close to mastering that art!! ha ha)
These are my 2 cents. I'm trying to pry as much info from my OSO as I can, but after reading many posts on this site about different OSOs, I don't feel as bad anymore. I thought he just didn't like me, and after all I've done for him.

Matt S

None
I'm leaving to Jrs. in 10 days. Along with the fact that I'm nervous and worried I'm also excited.
Stats;
2.7 GPA ASU Aero. Managment Tech.
6/7 ASTB
245 PFT
I've been running everyday so I think my score is a little better.
Good luck to everyone.

froghead1

Just talked to my OSO today. Evidently, the Aug board for 187 is being moved back a week, from the week of the 9th to the week of the 16th. I am not sure if it's the same for the West coast. He also mentioned the turn around for notifying candidates about their selection/non-selection is about a week/week and a half. Again, not sure if that's the same everywhere. I guess it could depend on which office you are working through.

reapergm

A WEEK/ WEEK AND A HALF!! NO $--T!! Thats awesome! Last year it took me a month after the board met to hear. Atleast now the heart attack and anxiety will only last a few days.. (atleast until OCS begins and it starts again). Thats a good thing for updating PFTs too. What district is DC? NY is 1st.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Sitting at a 294 PFT for this board, I hope it's good enough for them to give me a shot this time.

froghead1

I think Hyattsville, Maryland, the office I am working with, is part of the 4th MCD. On a side note, don't come looking for me if the week/week and a half thing doesn't quite pan out. That's what they told me. Hopefully it'll be the truth, but I am sure it also depends on your OSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.