• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Obama says we should learn Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
You all are missing the point.. The dude is just trying to get votes.. It's politicians being politicians.. Plain and simple... Sorry but they just tell their audience what they want to hear...

But he does bring up a very interesting debate..

I went to (American/DODDS) High School in Italy and until I learned the language it was tough and once I did, life was good... So I am amazed when the "Assumed Legal Immigrants" come out to do warranty work on my house.... One would think..:(

Nafod

Change I can belive in
That means that every Chinese college student speaks passable English.

No it doesnt. It means they can read a little and write a little less.

Good luck finding an Urdu teacher, BTW.

I agree with zab1001 though, in a way. Thats why I took French and Japanese.

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
and communication skills are highly valued in the real world

+1 also.

This is not a partisan issue, folks. Mr. Obama is not suggesting another unfunded mandate on public education. Communication skills continue to become one of the most important things a person can have, whether it's in Spanish or something else.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Asking us to be bilingual is a bit much, however, because it's a new skill and requires a large investment of time.

Do you mean that a presidential hopeful (or any leader, really) is wrong to ask you to do something that requires a large investment of time and new skills?
Are you seriously saying that you'd rather have a leader coddle your weaknesses instead of challenging you to be better?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I'm still waiting for our youth to learn proper English, much less a foreign language! Maybe some competent Math skills too. Anyone else get blank stares from cashiers when the bill is $18.80, you hand them a $20 and after they press the button, you throw a nickel down? They are completely lost...

My brother (a 21 yr old English teacher in Prague) speaks 7 fluent foreign languages (and spanish is not one of them). He tutored ESL to Spanish speaking kids in high school in CA and hated it... they had no desire to learn english because our society makes it so easy for them to get by without it...

srqwho

pilot
Learning a second language is not difficult, but having said that, the first time I had to even consider taking a foreign language class was as a junior in HS. By that time it was a matter of graduation and doing the mins in a class that really wasn't that difficult. If any presidential candidate thinks we should be more multi-lingual than more emphasis needs to be put on it earlier on in school. I've been told (and I could be wrong) that many European countries teach English by default... giving them a one-up on the bilingual thing. I can understand that while Americans may be looked down on for not being more multi-lingual, I can assure you that if I spoke a language that is only functional in a very small part of the world I would most likely be speaking more than just that language. I've thought of buying some Rosetta Stone software (anybody tried this?) but just can't think of any time to really put the effort into it when I am finishing grad school in December, and then OCS shortly then-after.

I know it's been mentioned, but I would think that Obama is trying to gain some support from a few of the minorities who suffer from not being as strong in the english dept as they should be... but I wonder how many people in the dept can actually vote:D

SkywardET

Contrarian
Do you mean that a presidential hopeful (or any leader, really) is wrong to ask you to do something that requires a large investment of time and new skills?
Are you seriously saying that you'd rather have a leader coddle your weaknesses instead of challenging you to be better?
I already answered the first question in the post you were quoting.

As for the second question, of course I want my weaknesses coddled! Who the hell doesn't? Everybody wants a nanny state ;)
Besides, knowing only English is not really a bad weakness. How about challenging citizens to service--civil, military, volunteer, etc.--in their country? Why pick this globalization issue rather than more pressing domestic issues?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
The problem I have with the statements is that he emphasizes learning Spanish over other languages. Why Spanish, why not, German, French, Swahili? We have immigrants from all over the globe in the United States, there is no reason that Spanish should become the other language taught in schools.

Also, there is a problem with costs for foreign language programs. Schools are struggling to pay for the basics of our education. English is already the primary language used in business there is no really reason to force schools the extra expenditure, nor does it provide a huge benefit for the average American who may not travel outside the United States.

Yes, learning a foreign is a good thing, but its is not prudent to expect schools to spend money on something that will not provide that great of a benefit, when that money can be spent on other programs, such as arts or athletics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

Spanish is the no. 3 most widely-spoken language on the planet. Mardarin Chinese the first, Hindi (Urdu) the second. English is fourth. His point was that the majority of Europeans are usually bi- or tri-lingual almost as a staple, and that Americans should be broadening their horizons to learn new languages as well. As an American who grew up overseas, I fully and completely agree. I saw plenty of people make no effort to learn even the basics of the language of their host country and lived there for 2, 3, or more years, expecting the native populace to all just speak English. Why not adapt a bit?

We expect people to speak English in our country why not make an attempt in foreign countries? A little effort goes a long way.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I went to (American/DODDS) High School in Italy and until I learned the language it was tough and once I did, life was good...

Ahh a fellow DoDDs student. Which school did you go to? Ankara American HS here. We used to beat Italy (Vicenza/Aviano) in soccer every year ;)

Why pick this globalization issue rather than more pressing domestic issues?

Globalization one of the most important issues in the world over these days. If we want our country to remain a superpower and to be able to compete in the 21st century for much longer, we have to embrace globalization and equip our youth with the ability to remain competitive in the world.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
We expect people to speak English in our country why not make an attempt in foreign countries? A little effort goes a long way.

I'd say a lot of people think we don't expect immigrants to speak english in our country, and make it far too easy to get by without learning it. This would seem to be the root to the thread (and perhaps, Obama's comments).

As for not attempting to learn enough in a foreign country to get by, the people who do this yet expect those who come to our country to speak english are hypocritical ass clowns. 'nuff said.

I don't expect someone to memorize and spout off the Declaration of Independence, but knowing how to ask for change, directions to the bathroom, where i can get a beer, and please and thank you ought to be a foundation for someone in a new country, even if they're just visiting. Common sense, you'd think.

AJB37

Spanish is the no. 3 most widely-spoken language on the planet. Mardarin Chinese the first, Hindi (Urdu) the second. English is fourth. His point was that the majority of Europeans are usually bi- or tri-lingual almost as a staple, and that Americans should be broadening their horizons to learn new languages as well. As an American who grew up overseas, I fully and completely agree. I saw plenty of people make no effort to learn even the basics of the language of their host country and lived there for 2, 3, or more years, expecting the native populace to all just speak English. Why not adapt a bit?

Europe is also a bit smaller, which means the average person has more incentive to learn a foreign language because they have a greater chance of interacting with someone speaking a different language or doing a business transaction that would require knowing a foreign language. The average America working even in a large multinational corporation is not likely to have the same language requirements as a European just due to geography. http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm

I do agree that when you visit another country you should at least have a minor knowledge of the language of the country. I was fluent in French and German as a child and took both languages in high school. When I did volunteer work teaching English in Africa I spoke enough Swahili to teach my class basic English and be able to respond to their questions.

However, the point is, Obama comparing the US to Europe is a poor comparison. Because of the geography and diversity of Europe, that populace benefits more from being bi- or tri-lingual, Americans do not gain the same benefits. We have an English/French speaking country along our Northern border, and Spanish to the South. We are not like Germany, which is bordered by 9 different countries all speaking different languages.

If the arguement is being made that Americans should speak a foriegn language for economic reason, we still wouldn't focus on Spanish. Spain, Mexico, and Spanish speaking South America is not exactly an economic power house. We would focus on Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, or Arabic for the economic benefit it would bring our populace.

By the way the link you gave shows that English is the most widely spoken language, with ~1,500,000,000 speakers, over Mandarin's ~1,050,000,000 speakers. English comes in fourth for native speakers.

thull

Obama was just trying to win over more of the Hispanic vote without compromising his America/English first stance. I call politics as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.