• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nuke sub leaked

bb1125

None
You said it. The boat actually visited Japan and may have contaminated their waters.:eek: This is not good for PR with the GW only about a month from reaching Yoko. Not that it will change big Navy's plans, but it will most certainly increase the protests.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Contaminated their waters? Please.
The total amount leaked while the sub was in port in Guam, Japan and Hawaii was less than a half of a microcurie (0.0000005 curies), or less than what is found in a 50-pound bag of lawn and garden fertilizer, the officials said.
Don't add to the BS media fearmongering that flares up when anything notable about nuclear power comes up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Contaminated their waters? Please.

Don't add to the BS media fearmongering that flares up when anything notable about nuclear power comes up.

Why let silly facts or the truth get in the way of selling news and tv ads at the expense of national security?

nugget61

pilot
Just gotta put some positive spin on it - like we were just disinfecting the water for them, ha.

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
Why let silly facts or the truth get in the way of selling news and tv ads at the expense of national security?
I think the point he's trying to get across is that if you knew how much 500 picocuries was, the word contamination doesn't exactly come to mind. But anal retentiveness is in essence what being a nuke is all about. I sure as hell don't miss it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the point he's trying to get across is that if you knew how much 500 picocuries was, the word contamination doesn't exactly come to mind. But anal retentiveness is in essence what being a nuke is all about. I sure as hell don't miss it.

Unfortunately, facts don't matter to the media or the reaction of the people. Think about how ignorant most people in the world are about nuclear energy. They hear radiation or contamination or whatever, they panic. Hell, I bet most people's nuclear education in THIS country comes from the Simpsons.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Unfortunately, facts don't matter to the media or the reaction of the people. Think about how ignorant most people in the world are about nuclear energy. They hear radiation or contamination or whatever, they panic. Hell, I bet most people's nuclear education in THIS country comes from the Simpsons.

I can see it now: Three eyed salmon rolls with wassabi and Sapporo.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I can see it now: Three eyed salmon rolls with wassabi and Sapporo.

Come on, who cares how many eyes your sashimi had? You're eating it, not having a conversation with it. As long as there's beer involved, 3 eyes is fine by me. :)

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor

yea, i got that. I agree that this is a ridiculous story. When they put it in perspective that cow poop has more radiation than was leaked, i couldn't understand why this was even making the news, other than the words nukular and contamination sell papers.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
The fact that it leaked at all?

i guess. still seems like sensationalist news at its best to get people worrying about the dangerous nukular subs polluting the ocean. prolly more natural radiation in the trash they shoot out the bottoms of those things than what was leaked.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
i guess. still seems like sensationalist news at its best to get people worrying about the dangerous nukular subs polluting the ocean. prolly more natural radiation in the trash they shoot out the bottoms of those things than what was leaked.

Really?

Did you read the article? It does a pretty good job of pointing out that it was a negligible amount of radiation.

The public, uneducated or otherwise, is going to take issue with a leaking reactor, regardless of the immediate consequences.

"It didn't do any damage now, but NEXT TIME, who knows???"

The issue is the leak, not the damaged sea-life.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
You said it. The boat actually visited Japan and may have contaminated their waters.:eek: This is not good for PR with the GW only about a month from reaching Yoko. Not that it will change big Navy's plans, but it will most certainly increase the protests.

Has GW gotten any good PR lately?? (disclaimer: not meant to be an indictment of the good ship or crew!)