• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nuke sub leaked

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Alright, not to slam the door on the conversation as a whole, (although personally I think its a bit ridiculous) but this type of speculation shouldn't be done, except by those who know what it is that they are talking about. When last I checked you don't.

The reason it should be, is that uneduacated speculations lead to more uneducated speculation and before you know it a bunch of uneducated people making noise get heard. Its like the old adage about banks...tell enough people that their bank is going to fail long enough...and pretty soon it does.

In a way, speculation hits NNP much harder than aviation...for example, take a look at the Greenpeace Nucwatch site...they list and publicize the location of all nuclear power plants so that people can "watch out". Take note that Norfolk, San Dog, Groton, Kings Bay etc...are not on the list. The way that will change when enough people blather on about events (not incidents) like this. Its ALL public opinion and last I checked, NavAir didn't have quite the image problem that Nuc Power does.

Here is the link for those of you who are interested.

http://webthing.greenpeaceusa.org/nuclear_locator/
I'm not sure how you "checked" my bona fides since you have no idea who I am, but anyways....

I am a tax payer and I have every right in the world to question the internal structures of the federal government. Given the history of NNP and Rickover's legacy I think the current relationship between NNP and DoE should be examined. I am aware of several other questionable NNP incidents, and the momentum gained from this incident may lead to a refreshing review.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure how you "checked" my bona fides since you have no idea who I am, but anyways....

I am a tax payer and I have every right in the world to question the internal structures of the federal government. Given the history of NNP and Rickover's legacy I think the current relationship between NNP and DoE should be examined. I am aware of several other questionable NNP incidents, and the momentum gained from this incident may lead to a refreshing review.

"Checked" should have been in my original post. By that I mean I re-read your bio...coupled with you admitted lack of NNP knowledge, I put two and two together. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. Sorry if the intial post came off the wrong way in that regard. No offense intended.

That said, I stand by the meat of my statement. Yes, you are a taxpayer, and yes, you do have the right to question how the government is structured. You are also however, and agent of that same government. As such, right or not, its incumbent on you to understand that you are not just a private citizen, and your uneducated opinions may or may not be interpreted or used that way. Picture the headline..." Anonymous Government Official suggests review of NNP policy." What's good for the goose....

As for your claim that you are aware of "other questionable NNP incidents"...I've got to throw the BS flag...I'm not saying that their #$%^ don't stink...sometimes it does...but until you prove to me that you have the knowledge to go deeper than the headlines, I'll maintain my skepticism of your "awareness".

Sincerely, If I'm wrong, tell me...in PM if neccesary...If I'm not give our Nuc bretheren the same respect you'd give a fellow aviator and stop.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
"Checked" should have been in my original post. By that I mean I re-read your bio...coupled with you admitted lack of NNP knowledge, I put two and two together. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. Sorry if the intial post came off the wrong way in that regard. No offense intended.

That said, I stand by the meat of my statement. Yes, you are a taxpayer, and yes, you do have the right to question how the government is structured. You are also however, and agent of that same government. As such, right or not, its incumbent on you to understand that you are not just a private citizen, and your uneducated opinions may or may not be interpreted or used that way. Picture the headline..." Anonymous Government Official suggests review of NNP policy." What's good for the goose....

As for your claim that you are aware of "other questionable NNP incidents"...I've got to throw the BS flag...I'm not saying that their #$%^ don't stink...sometimes it does...but until you prove to me that you have the knowledge to go deeper than the headlines, I'll maintain my skepticism of your "awareness".

Sincerely, If I'm wrong, tell me...in PM if neccesary...If I'm not give our Nuc bretheren the same respect you'd give a fellow aviator and stop.

I'm not in the Navy, if that is what you mean.

What is amazing is that you are attacking the right to debate policy. This discussion is not apples and apples. The protections we (AW) demand of aviation are backed by well established principles of aviation safety and the idea that during any kind of mishap it's difficult to judge the best course of action, since only the mishap aircrew was there.

An equally valid debate on AW, in my opinion, would be the structure of Naval Aviation. The question, "Why is AirPac the 3 star, senior to AirLant, and the "voice" of Naval Aviation?" is an apple to apple discussion when compared to the governing structure of NNP.

Your argument amounts to saying FEMA personnel are the only ones who can debate and fix FEMA's problems.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'm not in the Navy, if that is what you mean.

What is amazing is that you are attacking the right to debate policy. This discussion is not apples and apples. The protections we (AW) demand of aviation are backed by well established principles of aviation safety and the idea that during any kind of mishap it's difficult to judge the best course of action, since only the mishap aircrew was there.

An equally valid debate on AW, in my opinion, would be the structure of Naval Aviation. The question, "Why is AirPac the 3 star, senior to AirLant, and the "voice" of Naval Aviation?" is an apple to apple discussion when compared to the governing structure of NNP.

Your argument amounts to saying FEMA personnel are the only ones who can debate and fix FEMA's problems.

Roger the not in the Nav.

I'm not attacking the right to debate policy. Far from it. I don't know why you are reading what I'm writing that way.

What I have a problem with is debating policy while using evidence you don't understand as reported by other people who don't understand it. The fact of the matter is that nobody on this board has any idea what happened on that ship. Was there a valve packing failure? Did a PVO valve lineup get gaffed off? Does any of this have anything to do with the structure and relationship of NNO to the DOE? I don't have the answer and I've been there and done that. The reporter or PAO don't have any idea either...how many aviation stories have we scoffed at in the last 6 months? One shouldn't read a newspaper story about an "incident" and start spouting about how jacked up NNP is, its unfair and disingenuous. Would you start asking questions about the Naval Aviation Enterprise everytime someone has a Class A?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
We don't have all the facts, but thus far the prior enlisted submariners in NNPS think that this whole story is much ado about nothing.