• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSW Standardizing on Glock 19

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Didn't mean it like that - but to the exclusion of capabilities like 84/85 offer. Just seems like the strategic focus on ASW is overly all consuming to the extent where it sucks resources away from real world "today" needs.

I joined the Navy to be a pilot - the big picture "Naval Officer" mundane stuff is boring

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And yet, in your previous post, you're demanding to know why more junior personnel aren't holding senior leadshership accountable for the "Big Picture" decisions that you yourself find boring? I think you've answered your own question.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I read that article three times and still don't understand WTF is actually going on.
My guess: The Navy deactivated one of its two spec ops helo squadrons, with plans to deactivate the other. In order to preserve these specialized warfighting capabilities, the Navy plans to do knowledge-transfer (and maybe people-transfer and materiel-transfer and other DOTMLPF-P actions) to the remaining helo squadrons in the fleet. Those remaining helo squadrons will assume the missions previously performed by HSC-84/85.

This is my reading of the article. I'm not in the military... but I am actually well versed in "money-saving reorganizations" for the DoD, believe it or not.

Article: http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...tested-spec-ops-helicopter-squadron/78028808/

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This is my reading of the article. I'm not in the military... but I am actually well versed in "money-saving reorganizations" for the DoD, believe it or not.

JFC. Dude, I appreciate you want to contribute here as an applicant, but that's not adding much.

I work a couple hundred yards from HSC-84. I know what "the plan" is, but it still doesn't make any sense.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
..."In March, the Navy will shutter Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 84 in Norfolk, which, along with HSC-85, has flown a decade of shadowy missions in war zones with aging helicopters. The active-duty and reserve aircrews that fly these HH-60H Rescue Hawks are the Navy's equivalent of the Army's renowned 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, known as the "Night Stalkers." In their decade of continuous deployments, HSC-84 aircrews have earned three Distinguished Flying Crosses, 13 Bronze Stars, 120 Air Medals with Valor, among other awards."...

I always have to chuckle when squadrons award their folks, particularly CO's, the Bronze Star:

This decoration authorized by Executive Order No. 9419 on February 4, 1944, is awarded to a person in any branch of the military service who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States on or after December 7, 1941, shall have distinguished himself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against an armed enemy.

hscs

pilot
I work a couple hundred yards from HSC-84. I know what "the plan" is, but it still doesn't make any sense.

Unfortunately, the outcome, in my personal view, resulted from the aligning of the Swiss cheese holes of ARI, staffs misunderstanding 84/85 capabilities, overestimation of current helo capabilities / capacity / authorities, and sequestration.

I hope that history repeats itself and -84 re-establishes.

The good news is that the TSUs preserved most manpower for that re-establishment.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
How many Helo flag officers are there (Navy)? (e.g. people who sit at the grown up table and influence Navy helo related funding/mission requirments)

But how many flag officers are there now on active duty in the United States Navy who were helicopter pilots?

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
How many Helo flag officers are there (Navy)? (e.g. people who sit at the grown up table and influence Navy helo related funding/mission requirments)

But how many flag officers are there now on active duty in the United States Navy who were helicopter pilots?

REAR ADMIRAL LINDA R. WACKERMAN RESERVE DEPUTY DIRECTOR, ASSESSMENT DIVISION, OPNAV N81R
REAR ADMIRAL RICHARD P. "RICK" SNYDER DIRECTOR, STRATEGY, POLICY AND PLANS NORAD-USNORTHCOM J5
REAR ADMIRAL JOHN W. SMITH, JR. CHIEF OF STAFF, U.S. EUROPEAN COMMAND
REAR ADMIRAL KEVIN D. SCOTT VICE DIRECTOR, JOINT FORCE DEVELOPMENT, J7 (SUFFOLK)
REAR ADMIRAL G. DEAN PETERS COMMANDER, NAVAL AIR WARFARE CENTER AIRCRAFT DIVISION / ASSISTANT COMMANDER FOR RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING, NAVAL AIR SYSTEMS COMMAND
REAR ADMIRAL WILLIAM K. LESCHER DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE NAVY FOR BUDGET (FMB) DIRECTOR, FISCAL MANAGEMENT DIVISION, OPNAV (N82)
REAR ADMIRAL JEFFREY W. HUGHES COMMANDER, NAVY RECRUITING COMMAND
VICE ADMIRAL PAUL A. GROSKLAGS COMMANDER, NAVAL AIR SYSTEMS COMMAND
REAR ADMIRAL DANIEL H. FILLION COMMANDER, EXPEDITIONARY STRIKE GROUP 3
REAR ADMIRAL MICHAEL J. DUMONT DEPUTY DIRECTOR FOR POLITICO-MILITARY AFFAIRS, JOINT STAFF J-5
REAR ADMIRAL (SELECT) SHOSHANA CHATFIELD UNITED STATES DEPUTY MILITARY REPRESENTATIVE TO THE NATO MILITARY COMMITTEE
REAR ADMIRAL RUSSELL ALLEN DEPUTY COMMANDER, U.S. 3RD FLEET

Sauce: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio_list.asp
Today I learned that you can be a reserve Admiral and fly as a first officer for American Airlines.
I also learned that NAVAIR used to be a HT instructor...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
NAVAIR is one smart guy. He was the CO of -18 when I was a student at -8. I later heard him speak at NHA a couple of years ago and he wants good things for Navy helos, but also understands (obviously with his job) how the process works. If you don't ask, he can't give it to you. He also schooled another flag at the panel who wanted to start wanking about a specific procurement issue, which was entertaining to watch.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, the outcome, in my personal view, resulted from the aligning of the Swiss cheese holes of ARI, staffs misunderstanding 84/85 capabilities, overestimation of current helo capabilities / capacity / authorities, and sequestration.

I hope that history repeats itself and -84 re-establishes.

The good news is that the TSUs preserved most manpower for that re-establishment.

Of course, unfortunately mainstream Navy hasn't gotten the return on its investment that the COCOMs have so they're seeking to eliminate the costs of a product they get marginal use of compared to their other assets. They did the same thing with VQ/VPU, and attempted to do so with the VAQ Exped squadrons.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, unfortunately mainstream Navy hasn't gotten the return on its investment that the COCOMs have so they're seeking to eliminate the costs of a product they get marginal use of compared to their other assets. They did the same thing with VQ/VPU, and attempted to do so with the VAQ Exped squadrons.

Are the 'operators' getting a good product though? If they are why aren't they directly under SOCOM, who has the same budget authority as a service, like the vast majority of their aviation support assets? There is a disconnect here between what is claimed by the supporters of the units and the backing it gets from SOCOM.

From an outsiders view it seems SOCOM loves to have it around since it is 'free' to them and the Navy doesn't because they aren't getting the return on investment. If it is such a valuable asset maybe the supporters outside the Navy ought to put some money where their mouths are.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Are the 'operators' getting a good product though? If they are why aren't they directly under SOCOM, who has the same budget authority as a service, like the vast majority of their aviation support assets? There is a disconnect here between what is claimed by the supporters of the units and the backing it gets from SOCOM.

From an outsiders view it seems SOCOM loves to have it around since it is 'free' to them and the Navy doesn't because they aren't getting the return on investment. If it is such a valuable asset maybe the supporters outside the Navy ought to put some money where their mouths are.

Why buy the cow when the milk is free?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

SOCOM wants the two squadrons and had future budgets POMd to fund them. Unfortunately it's not quite so simple to make a non-SOF entity fall under the SOCOM as one would think. Also, there was some serious rice-bowl protection going on and no one realized just how severe the loss would be till the order came out to shutdown 84/85 and the loss of support was felt for real.

Don't assume because 84/85 isn't SOF per the legal definition that SOCOM didn't/doesn't want them. The shutdown of -84 with this "TSU" construct has a lot of people in SOCOM scratching their heads on what capabilities the TSU will provide.