• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS Facts

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm surprised none of the NFOs have chimed in yet to give props to the greatest NFO in the galaxy: Chewbacca.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Words!

So, with that said, does that make a guy with a 49 a "turd that's sinking to the bottom"? I also think that, with the existance of a set hardline for jets, slight differences in NSS's resulting from having two different programs (with grades that come from these magical, 'notional' averages) could result in two different outcomes even when all else is held equal. Which it never is.

Words!

Dude, you are totally nuking it! Sounds like you also want jets, since you keep worrying about the hard line. Just an FYI, a guy with a lower 50s NSS, will tend to struggle through the tailhook program. Very few make it and get to the F/A-18 FRS (Whatever model they get), some go E-2/C-2, some do not make it at all. But all they still struggle. The 50 NSS is there for a reason, to keep dudes from washing out and even then, they still do. (Disclaimer, this is from people I know and the trend that I have seen).

I wanted to fly P-3 and end up flying a H-60. It is all the needs of the NAVY and it does not matter how well you do. If you want to get what you want, make sure you get that 80 NSS.

As for the later thread development.... Good freaking stuff! Had me laughing for a bit!

jtmedli

pilot
JTMEDLI, Take this as nicely and constructively as you can: if you spend as much time studying as you seem to sweating the NSS stuff - you won't need to worry about your NSS, it'll take care of itself. I hope you limit your laments to this forum and that you don't share your paranoia with other studs - it might make them want to punch you.

Life's not fair and this business can be cold and heartless. Get a helmet.

I think you misunderstood me. I stopped worrying about my NSS long ago. It is what it is. I just find the way it's applied/ramifications and the math sort of interesting after having seen it in action.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Dude, you are totally nuking it! Sounds like you also want jets, since you keep worrying about the hard line. Just an FYI, a guy with a lower 50s NSS, will tend to struggle through the tailhook program. Very few make it and get to the F/A-18 FRS (Whatever model they get), some go E-2/C-2, some do not make it at all. But all they still struggle. The 50 NSS is there for a reason, to keep dudes from washing out and even then, they still do. (Disclaimer, this is from people I know and the trend that I have seen).

I wanted to fly P-3 and end up flying a H-60. It is all the needs of the NAVY and it does not matter how well you do. If you want to get what you want, make sure you get that 80 NSS.

As for the later thread development.... Good freaking stuff! Had me laughing for a bit!

We recently had a bit of a "jet draft" in the Marine Corps about a year ago. If you had a 52+ NSS you were going jets. Fast forward to the last few months here in Kingsville- we've had a handful of guys who are/were on the brink of attrition. One did attrite. The others are still up in the air, they have to finish a few blocks in phase 1 without another unsat. Then the fun stuff comes in phase 2.

Were their NSS's marginal for jets? The ones that shared them said they were low 50s. What does that mean? Maybe the min for jets is a min for a reason. And if you meet the bare min do you really want to keep going? Talking with a couple of guys that I went to primary with who now have wings on their chest believe that they do so because they weren't drafted to go jets.

gotta_fly

pilot
I've always thought Chewbaca was part of the higher calling, a co-pilot :D
Agreed, in fact he seems to be a 2P.
You never see the 3P in the films because he's always on a food run or loading the bags.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
We recently had a bit of a "jet draft" in the Marine Corps about a year ago. If you had a 52+ NSS you were going jets. Fast forward to the last few months here in Kingsville- we've had a handful of guys who are/were on the brink of attrition. One did attrite. The others are still up in the air, they have to finish a few blocks in phase 1 without another unsat. Then the fun stuff comes in phase 2.

Were their NSS's marginal for jets? The ones that shared them said they were low 50s. What does that mean? Maybe the min for jets is a min for a reason. And if you meet the bare min do you really want to keep going? Talking with a couple of guys that I went to primary with who now have wings on their chest believe that they do so because they weren't drafted to go jets.

IMHO I don't think dudes not hacking it in tailhook advanced has anything to do with their nss score. Many dudes have high 50+ NSSs coming out of primary, head to the multi engine and helo pipelines and end up not earning their wings. I'd say it is more that advanced, regardless of platform, asks more of you than primary. Just my .02, not trying to make this a "my community is harder than your community" thread, plenty of those already on here.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That may be true, but that ASAP report is galactic!

Did a noteworth event occur?

YES.

Comments / Lessons Learned / What Could Be Improved (Maximum 9999 characters):
Arrived at pre-briefed coordinates.

Lesson learned: It was a trap.

Event category: Planning

Potential Hazrep: No

Unplanned RTB: No

Phase of operation: Mission
1.The briefed mission was performed within NATOPS, SOP,ORM and tactical margins.
Somewhat disagree