• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ in BDCP????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHigh

Who knows, maybe I will fly upside down in a HELO..

Some people take themselves, and the high horse they ride on too seriously.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by tali264
my eyes not being good enough would make me medically unqualified and would therefore void my contract with the Navy .... I also asked about getting PRK after OCS. Apparently it's possible, but it's tougher to get approval after OCS rather than getting approval to get it now - before OCS.
So Tali, where does this leave you? Are you still on track, or are you going to have to put in for PRK?

John

tali264

John....I have no idea. I called an eye doc down at NAMI and he told me to go have a cycloplegic refraction exam done (putting in drops as if they were testing my eyes before refractive surgery). I just got back from that. His results are that my eyes JUST make it. But his results differ from my ordinary eye doctor (in both the manifest refraction and also visual acuity).

So then it comes down to if they will change in 6 months before OCS, which doc is right (or maybe they both are since my ordinary eye doc said with astigmatism your vision depends a lot on the lighting in the room), and what my eyes are predicted to be down at OCS. It seems like everyones vision drops during that test......and if that happens, then I wouldn't make it.

So, I'm going to talk with the NAMI guy tomorrow and see what his opinion is. It's a risk either way. Either I can go down there without having PRK and hope to pass, or if I don't pass, then hope they let me have PRK. Or I can get PRK now but risk something going wrong during the surgery.

So I'm really at a loss as to what I should do. I don't really like these options, but I'll deal with it the best I can.

Thanks for asking!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As for lighting during the NAMI eye exam, the lights were dim, and they had the charts at the end of the room lit up. He used a projection device to display them on the wall. Of course, this was 4 years ago for me, things may change depending on which doctor does it. I usually test for 20/20 or 20/25, but when there, I scraped by with 20/30. I attribute a lot of it to stress, since it is something you have ABSOLUTELY no control over. Oh well, for me at least, that is in the distant past. I hope everything works out for you.

John

ghost_ttu

GET THE SURGERY, I would play the odds if they let you. You are going to be close, and EVERYONE has crappy vision at NAMI. Go ahead and get the eyes fixed, most people come out just fine, and the doctor would be too scared of you getting pissy to screw up on your eyes.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

tali264

yes ghost, but what happens if I'm one of the people it doesn't turn out OK for? I'll call the NAMI doc tomorrow and let you know what he said/advises.......then you can post your comments
icon_smile_wink.gif

jaerose

I agree that stress would be the most likely reason for people with passing vision before NAMI to fail at OCS. I talked to my eye doc and she said that would be the case. I recently went and I thought my vision was horrible...I was really stressed out...and I had 20/20 together and L=20/20 R=20/25...but I was seeing halos. Turns out a week after not using the computer (spring break) no halos and reduced stress. Definitely a huge factor. Try some relaxation exercises. Also, I passed with better than 20/40 while my eyes were dilated...which is a positive thing because they called it my 'true vision.' I'm sure we'll all be fine...just stressing about the situation makes it worse.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.