• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ in BDCP????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHigh

Does anyone know what happens if you are a BDCP Pilot, and you get to OCS and NPQ for eyes for example? can you get out? reapply after getting whatever is wrong fixed? Anyone's experience or knowledge on this would help.

navy101

From what I was told you have to apply to three other designators while you wait in gtx at OCS. The Navy won't let you leave just because your eyes do not qualify for pilot, so don't expect it. This is what I was told by the Navy and some info I read on this site.

tali264

I asked my recruiter the same question a few days ago. From what I understood from my contract.......my eyes not being good enough would make me medically unqualified and would therefore void my contract with the Navy. He kind of danced around my question, told me that if I broke my contract they would send me to Great Lakes yada yada yada, but then at the end said "possibly". So you might want to ask your recruiter directly. He probably won't like the question, but that's the way to get the best answer. If you are specifically concerned about your eyes, I also asked about getting PRK after OCS. Apparently it's possible, but it's tougher to get approval after OCS rather than getting approval to get it now - before OCS.

SkyHigh

I asked my recruiter if you could get out of the contract, and he said you could but do not quote him. I was just looking for someone who actually might have gone through the experience... or know somebody that did..

navy101

Tali, if you are npq then the bdcp contract is void and you can walk? The way I was told was we still have to serve atleast four years and apply to three new designators if something like that should happen. I guess we will know for sure come oct 4. Also, if you broke the contract you get a warning first.

tali264

when I said "I broke my contract" I didn't mean something like failing a PRT or not turning in semester grades.....I meant actually trying to break the contract completely (i.e. get out of the Navy). This was in regards to the question of whether the contract was still valid after a medical disqualification. So no warning there.

Skyhigh - I think both our recruiters are saying the same thing - they don't like it but it's possible.

Like Navy101 said, we'll all find out when we get there.

SkyHigh

tali264: thanks for the dialouge man... yeah last minute gitters i suppose..i keep hearing about how rough the eye exam is and one of my eyes is 20/30 (at mepps and 5 eye doctors!!!) Can you believe that the Air Forc is 20/70 for Pilots!! and the Army is 20/50!!!! what is the deal with that!!! The NAVY needs to get with technology!!! Ill apply to Nuq, CEC, and Nursing with a American Studies degree. I am sure i will be selected that way... My goal is to fly and defend our country, so nothing against anyone else's job... We only live once!!!

navy101

Im in your boat skyhigh. My right eye is 20/20 but my left eye is 20/30(according to meps). Hopefully my left eye can hold out for a couple more months, if not I would like to go nfo. But like I said before I will find out my fate oct. 4.

WFU2USN

Skyhigh,

In order to apply for CEC or Nuke you need to have an engineering/science degree. (You may be joking, I'm not sure...)

Good luck!

Robin

SkyHigh

Yeah I was sort of joking, but when they make me meet with a detailer that is what I am going to say I want. I would really want to get out, and reapply after having PRK or something. My goal in life is to be a pilot in the Armed services. i am already an aerobatic pilot that has done competition aerobatics, and have flow upside down with precision more than most military pilots. To take a job where I am not flying would not fullfill a dream. (I am saying that not to disrespect any other persons choice for a job, we all on live once and that is how I intend to make my decision) Thank you for the advice guys.

jaerose

You might have a lot of flying experience, but if you can't cut the cake for military standards, then it doesn't really matter does it? Also, I know a guy who got kicked out due to his cocky attitude...I'm not saying that's you, but I definitely would tone down the 'I've flown upside down with precision more than most military pilots' stuff. Maybe you have experience and you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if you offend your IP's and they don't like you it'll come through in your grades, then guess what, you'll be flying nothing or something that can only go 300 knots and straight and level. Not too mention that flying 'their' way might be more difficult for you because you'll have to unlearn 'bad' habits and such. Don't get me wrong, I wish everyone here well, but definitely try not to come off cocky to your IP's...confident is good...cocky is bad.

JR

jaerose

Oh, I forgot to say that the vision requirements are more stringent because Naval Aviators (usually) have to land on a postage stamp that pitches at night...using the Fresnel Lens to land, which would make it necessary to have very acute vision just to return from a flight. I personally don't think I'd want to try that with really fuzzy vision, or if my eyes take too long to change focus from my instruments to the 'meatball.'

JR

SkyHigh

Jaerose,
Thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure you took it the wrong way, because if you read what I said it was more a statement of goals in life, and reasoning for not accepting anything less than being a military aviator. And not a statement about how great a pilot I am. Bottom line, once you have flown upside down, you never want to go right side up again. Hence my goal to be a military aviator. If I go to NAMI and get NPQ'd I will fix my eyes and reapply or try Air Force or marines. And NPQ'ing at NAMI is an IF, my eyesight is good to go, from 3 seperate eye doctors in the last month, but I have been hearing horror stories on this site about guys with 20/20 and get there and they are 20/60. (So it makes you a bit nervous) And my buddies that are Hornet drivers right now in the fleet have given me the low down on keeping quiet and how to work with the IP's. Thanks for the advice and best of luck to you...

grouch

Just to throw a wrench at your monkey, when you get NPQed it is really hard to even talk to other branches after they see your 214. So it is not like all the others will be waiting in line to take you after the Navy cuts you free. As for the whole upside down thing....you'll be destined to fly helicopters in a remote part of the world if you think you are "born" for jets. The Navy thinks that sort of thing is funny. Come to think of it....I do as well. Cosmic humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.