• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ from SNA - What to do now?

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
Since I feel like this question is kinda ghey, I decided not to open a new thread for it, so here goes: when is CORTRAMID West? If I remember correctly from my middie days, CORTRAMID west occurs in July-August after the July 4th holiday.

The reason I'm asking is that there were some TRAWING 5 stash ensigns that got sent to VA Beach to help with CORTRAMID up there and I was looking to see if I could finagle something similar in San Dog... Thanks.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Since I feel like this question is kinda ghey, I decided not to open a new thread for it, so here goes: when is CORTRAMID West? If I remember correctly from my middie days, CORTRAMID west occurs in July-August after the July 4th holiday.

The reason I'm asking is that there were some TRAWING 5 stash ensigns that got sent to VA Beach to help with CORTRAMID up there and I was looking to see if I could finagle something similar in San Dog... Thanks.

7/5-8/4 . Good luck!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was wondering what the process is to redesignate when something like this happens. Do you go in front of a lateral transfer board along with any other officer that is trying to change designators, or do they have a specific board for this type of situation? Are you just stashed until something happens or admin seperated after a period of time? Sorry to hear about the NAMI whammy, it seems like you have a good attitude about things. Best of luck to you.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Do you go in front of a lateral transfer board along with any other officer that is trying to change designators, or do they have a specific board for this type of situation? Are you just stashed until something happens or admin seperated after a period of time?

Here is what happens in Corpus for DOR/Attrite/NPQ Step by Step

1. Lots of paper work
2. You leave your squadron after talking with CO.

3. Check into TW-4. You get put into the stash pool. If anyone needs a stash Ensign/LTjg they come into stucon and request you. So its usually best to go out and find your own stash job but you could try hiding in the stash pool and just standing watches for the wing.

4. You get redesignation packet information. You have 2 weeks to go out and complete the packet. Inside you normally have college transcript, a resume, some letters of recommendations, and possibly anything else you feel is pertinent. At this point you have two options make a dream list of 5 communities or try to get NFO.

If you choose the NFO route you get interviewed in a teleconferencing call but that’s all I really know about that. I haven't seen anyone try it for whatever reason.

If you are making a dream list you just list the communities you want. In order of preference. Including going to another branch or getting out.

5. Sometime during the 2 weeks of making your packet. Plan to meet with both the Stucon Officer, and the Commodore. The Stucon Officer will review your packet with 3 other senior aviators to make sure the process was fair and you were provided with every opportunity to excel. You do not see them meet. After they do you will see the Stucon Officer and he will tell you the results of the review. Then you stand by to talk with the Commodore at a future date.

6. At some point a secretary will give your meeting time with the Commodore. At the meeting you go see the Commodore and Stucon Officer go over your jacket. At the end of it he says if you are retained in the program or not.
As a side note: I have not seen anyone retained at any stage after they check out of their squadron.

7. That redesignation packet is probably due at some point and hopefully you have submitted it now. This is the fun process. It goes out and is looked at by all the detailers of different communities to see who wants you. Hopefully, you have contacted the detailers of your top choices to see what they want to see in your packet. If they want/need you they fight among themselves and keep your list of preferences for basically eye candy. You do not see this process.

7a. If a community has not picked you up you can volunteer or be volunteered to do an IA. This is why submitting packets sooner rather than latter is the better plan. If a community has picked you up its less likely they will send you. However, if no one has picked you up yet, your fair game.

8. Wait for your new community to cut you new orders. Work at your stash job you probably have gotten by now.

If you have any questions about it PM me. Im more than happy to help.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
...At the end of it he says if you are retained in the program or not.
As a side note: I have not seen anyone retained at any stage after they check out of their squadron.

It happens. Not often, but it happens. If it does happen, you go to a new squadron or even duty station if you are famous (or infamous) enough.

Great post, MrSaturn. Good, current gouge.

mc282000

Wow, sorry to hear about that WBGTSNA. That's really unfortunate. I hope all works out for you.

I have a question that relates to physicals and being NPQ'd later on in the commisioning/winging process. Hypothetically, what would happen if a condition arose during the dreaded NAMI whammy or your flight physical for API (are they the same thing?) that was NPQ but at the same time waiverable with some stipulation? Would they hold you out of your API class until the waiver was attained, be it through some surgical correction etcetera, and then put you in with the next API class coming through? Or would they say you're SOL and NPQ'd? For example, if you made it through the initial MEPS with borderline vision, got through OCS/TBS and then by the time you made it to API your vision was NPQ, could you go out and get something like PRK and be allowed back to API once the waiver was obtained? Or do they start you back at the end of the line? Doesn't seem logical to put you through OCS/TBS again (you'd already be an officer right?) if you've passed and made it to API only to NPQ.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. - through the search function I do realize that this issue has been talked about, however, I haven't seen any difinitive answer on what options people who are NPQ'd at API have to try and continue on the SNA road.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Hypothetically, what would happen if a condition arose during the dreaded NAMI whammy or your flight physical for API (are they the same thing?) that was NPQ but at the same time waiverable with some stipulation? Would they hold you out of your API class until the waiver was attained, be it through some surgical correction etcetera, and then put you in with the next API class coming through? Or would they say you're SOL and NPQ'd?

Hypothetically, they would hold you out of class and see if they could solve it. If they can not NPQ.

I have a friend whose PRK didnt take. She is now a PAO.

mc282000

So are you saying she made it through TBS etc. and then failed the vision test at API, then they allowed her to go get surgery to apply for a waiver that would've allowed her to continue through API?

Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know the SOP for an NPQ at API that is waiverable?

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
So are you saying she made it through TBS etc. and then failed the vision test at API, then they allowed her to go get surgery to apply for a waiver that would've allowed her to continue through API?

Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know the SOP for an NPQ at API that is waiverable?

When I went through NAMI at PCola they found I had a small tumor. I had surgery, they took it out, got a waiver and classed up. The only thing is you can't be med down for more than 6 months. I was down for about five and a half.

srqwho

pilot
As far as getting NPQ'd this late (?) in the game... what types of things does NAMI test for that MEPS and the OCS physicals don't? I would assume it is more involved from what I am hearing? I had zero issues with depth perception or other vision stuff at MEPS, but are there any other things that I should ask my eye doc to check for NOW to be sure I am squared away?

MettGT

pilot
Holy thread resurection, Batman!

srqwho - I never went to MEPS, but for my NOMI flight physical there was an eye exam, audiogram, EKG, chest x-ray, blood work, and a physical exam by the flight doc. Somebody can chime in if I left anything off.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The MEPS "medical exams" were more like a rush-job of a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob. Do you have teeth? Good. Do you have eyes? Awesome! Can you walk like a duck? Perfect! Piss in a cup, draw some blood, do a quick hearing test. Bend over and grab your ankles. Most of my day was spent waiting for the next station.

NAMI was very extensive. Full vision test complete with cyclogplegic refraction (eye-dilation), color-vision, depth perception and the rest. There was EKG, hearing test, blood work (I assume cholesterol and CBC), Aeronautical Adaptability test (valsalva demo and balance demo) and and a flight doc consult in which you'll actually sit down and go over your medical history and/or any issues you may have. Anyone chime in if I'm missing something. I probably spent an equal time at NAMI, except a lot more of my time was actually doing stuff instead of waiting (although there was a lot of waiting).