• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ from SNA - What to do now?

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
Two weeks ago, after finishing BI's at Whiting Field, I went to Branch Medical for my Annual Flight Physical. I was cruising along from test to test when I came to the Eye portion of the examination. They asked me to identify which of a series of black dots appeared to be raised up off the screen. I was unable to do so, asked for extra time and took a couple different Depth perception tests. I was placed Med-down and I later met with the squadron Flight doc and scheduled an appointment with the NAMI ophthalmologist at NAS Pensacola. After extensive testing, it turns out that my depth perception wasn't even close to Naval Aviator standards, and I was NPQ on the spot.

It was kind of a shock as I had never really known that there was an issue with my depth perception and had not had problems in the airplane thus far in training or in my daily life. Additionally, since becoming a Naval aviator had been a goal of mine for some time, I took the news quite hard and had to take some time before I was able to focus on moving on with my career. Because I had to go URL out of my NROTC unit and SNA had always been my first-choice community, I had never really researched different opportunities within the Navy.

I am still PQ for NFO, but I was informed that it is unlikely to be an option because of over-manning in the NFO pipeline. I have been researching other options such as SWO, Supply, and Intel, and I am increasingly intrigued with Navy Intelligence. It seems to be a growing community in an otherwise size-neutral or shrinking Naval force. Judging from my limited knowledge, I think that this growth is because of the importance of the Intel mission with regards to the War on Terror.

I don’t have a Poly-Sci / International Affairs degree, and I don’t speak any languages besides English, although I wouldn’t mind learning. I have an Engineering degree and a decent GPA, so I think that I would be competitive for an Intel slot if I can put a good Re-designation packet together.

With my experience, albeit a short one, in Naval aviation, my desire to stay close to the community, and hopefully a re-designation to Intel, I am hoping to serve as a Squadron Intel Officer after graduating from NMCITU/NIOBC. I have read the threads on people’s squadron spy stories, and it sounds like it can be a great experience as long as you have a decent sense of humor and work hard at learning the job and mission of the aircraft.

Although I was quite stunned at being NPQ’ed, I am starting to get excited about this new and different career path and welcome any advice, words of wisdom, constructive kicks to the ass, etc…

RAS

retired but still flying
None
Look at cryptology/IW. Engineers are (or at least were) welcome there. If you need a language besides English they can accommodate.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't get it. You had a NAMI flight physical before you started. Same test? Different test? Is there more to the story? IMO, you just got a really bad deal. I'm sorry to hear about it. Good luck with your new ventures.

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
Same test but I took the test at an Air Force base, so they might have different standards or the guy just kind of let me through with a marginal depth perception rating. For the supposed NAMI Whammy before API, I just got a check in the box without a full eye exam. I felt relieved at this and I sure as hell wasn't going to bring up any potential problems.

Yea, it's a pretty shitty situation, but it is what it is, and it doesn't look like there's any way to get around it to stay in the pipeline.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That's the pits, man. I'm not at all worried about proficiency or leadership, but medical scares the hell out of me because it's mostly out my control and usually permanent.

There are a few threads open right now about how people who are die hard for aviation and they think that the rest is garbage react to getting dropped. This former shipmate of mine should serve as an outstanding example on how to handle yourself. You can be pretty pissed about the whole soup sandwich of a situation, but at the same time be highly professional and dignified.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I really hate when that kind of crap happens. Two of my best friends from college got npq'd in the past month. One (Marine sna) had a hidden eye issue that was found in the nami whammy and the other (Navy snfo) had a ear issue after the pressure chamber during API. The Navy guy switched to intel so let me know if you want to talk to him for any advice. The last I heard he was working on follow on orders to a prowler squadron.

60B Rotorhead

pilot
My roommate in Primary didn't make it, wasn't NPQ'd just had a couple bad days in the airplane. In any event he called EVERYONE trying to get a lateral. He ended up working for Raytheon for a year, but kept calling and is finally in Supply school right now. Due to the current timing with the '07 year group just hitting the street you may have trouble getting a redesignation. Just keep pushing and pushing, and if you have to get paychecks that aren't signed by uncle same for a bit, so be it. Just don't give up.

Sabre170

None
I had my annual flight physical the other day and had a similar scare. Ever since 1993 when I was at MEPS (the first time) I have never passed the plate test... I swear there are only two plates with numbers on them. I have always been given the light test (red, green, white lights)... even at NAMI. I have never had a problem passing that test, yet the other day the Corpsman sends me to the eye doc, who confirms I can't see the numbers and then sedns me back to the corpsmand to readminister the plate test.. WTF. Finally they give me the light test, and I pass. When I finally get to see the Doctor, he wants to confirm everything. I was real worried that something had changed and the light test was no longer acceptable. I don't know what I would have done if I got NPQ right before finishing the FRS.

Good luck to you and hope it will not take long to get a new community to in which to serve.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I got the NAMI Whammy back in June 2000 after passing all the flight physicals up until API. I went NFO and had a blast. Have you looked at JAG? You might be able to go to law school.

Brett1

Banned
Listen, go to law school, do your time in the JAG or I can give you a job at my office. I will warn you though..... the hours will be long with you needing to be up until early hours of the morning at one of my client's clubs keeping an eye out for constitutional violations. You will also need to be strong willed... no matter what the girl offers to do to you or how stunning she looks do not be tempted to sample the wares. It could start you on a down hill slide into a life of excess earning and horny 20 year olds. I just couldnt live with myself if that happened.

Come to think of, the risk of you being drug into that lifestyle is much to high...... you better go Intel.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
RetreadRand said:
IF you want to fly, keep pushing NFO. Do what you can. Regardless, your attitude will take you far. Good luck, shipmate.

Could not agree more strongly. "Overmanning" be damned. If you want it, push the matter. Better that you should get it than someone who may be on the fence.

Raptor2216

Sorry to hear about your story dude...I can only imagine how it must be. That damn depth perception test seems to catch a lot of people off guard. I just barely passed it at NOMI 6 months back and there were other who had the same issue. I remember when I had my commissioning physical, the circles just popped up and it wasn't even an issue. The only difference between those two tests was my hydration level. I had heard that being well hydrated helps you see the raised circles and I made sure to drink a lot of water. I guess this doesn't really help you so much but maybe it will help others. Sorry about your situation again.

Himbo

Lex Talionis
None
Just a quick FYI. I was told by two Navy Optom. that lots of people fail that test but pass it in a civilian clinic. I was told that if this ever happens to just go have it done somewhere else and bring back the records. One thing I have learned is to never take what I hear from medical as 100% truth, do your own research.....I now have about six waivers in my jacket.