• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No More DCOIC as of FY20 - ODS Guidance

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Is this a guac thing? Having gotten away with not having to buy them yet I am serious.
NWU Type III (guac) is issued with black boots. And no, you cannot wear the "rough out" boots with the NWU Type III.

Have they not decreed just one color of boot like every other service for their uniforms?
The Marines at my NOSC all look exactly the same.

We look like sh*t. Seen at my NOSC on a typical DWE:
  • NWU Type III (guac) with black boots
  • NWU Type III (guac) with tan boots
  • NWU Type I (blueberry) with black boots
  • NWU Type I (blueberry) with rough out boots
  • And all variants of
    • NWU Type I cover or blue command ball cap
    • NWU Type III (guac) cover with rank or NWU Type III (guac) cover without rank or blue command ball cap or tan command ball cap

bryanteagle6

NWU Type III (guac) is issued with black boots. And no, you cannot wear the "rough out" boots with the NWU Type III.

The Marines at my NOSC all look exactly the same.

We look like sh*t. Seen at my NOSC on a typical DWE:
  • NWU Type III (guac) with black boots
  • NWU Type III (guac) with tan boots
  • NWU Type I (blueberry) with black boots
  • NWU Type I (blueberry) with rough out boots
  • And all variants of
    • NWU Type I cover or blue command ball cap
    • NWU Type III (guac) cover with rank or NWU Type III (guac) cover without rank or blue command ball cap or tan command ball cap

I agree.
We actually drill off site of the NOSC at WPAFB, so all the air force and army there will soon all be in OCP and brown boots. So our unit wears brown to match the rest of the base.

I know the ship time is a long shot, but a guy can have dreams! Ha.
Actually we have a guy that has got us open AT slots on a ship somehow. We have had it the last few years. Maybe he knows the current skipper or something.

bluemarlin04

@bryanteagle6

I won’t say you won’t be going to a ship but it is extremely unlikely like @bubblehead said.

For starters, going for AT or ADT is going to be more trouble then it’s worth for the ship because you’ll have no quals and so you’ll just be a warm body.

The only reservists who usually go are Targeteers and they’re usually on recall orders and go for the whole float.

Sorry if I’m coming off as a jerk. Just don’t want you to embarrass yourself like the reserve intel LT in Fallon who told us airwing folks he was hoping he could get some underway time on the carrier soon so he can earn his SWO Pin.

Besides, being on the ship sucks anyway and gets old within minutes of leaving the pier.

bryanteagle6

@bryanteagle6

I won’t say you won’t be going to a ship but it is extremely unlikely like @bubblehead said.

For starters, going for AT or ADT is going to be more trouble then it’s worth for the ship because you’ll have no quals and so you’ll just be a warm body.

The only reservists who usually go are Targeteers and they’re usually on recall orders and go for the whole float.

Sorry if I’m coming off as a jerk. Just don’t want you to embarrass yourself like the reserve intel LT in Fallon who told us airwing folks he was hoping he could get some underway time on the carrier soon so he can earn his SWO Pin.

Besides, being on the ship sucks anyway and gets old within minutes of leaving the pier.

No no. I totally get it. I also believe and agree with every you said! Im just thinking outloud here really. Im in the Navy - it would be nice to see a ship if i could! Ha
And im not saying to just get a pin. Just as someone who has had 2 generations of carrier pilots raise him to love the Navy!

Bones

This was done to minimize what previous Sailors needed to buy to keep up with the type-III uniform changes, same deal with the black fleeces.

Pretty much undermines the meaning of "Uniform" though ;-)

bluemarlin04

No no. I totally get it. I also believe and agree with every you said! Im just thinking outloud here really. Im in the Navy - it would be nice to see a ship if i could! Ha
And im not saying to just get a pin. Just as someone who has had 2 generations of carrier pilots raise him to love the Navy!

If you really want to do it there are some targeting units you could go too that will almost guarantee it. But it is a significant commitment.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
And no, you cannot wear the "rough out" boots with the NWU Type III.

A we sure about this? Last time I was in Newport I'm pretty sure the OCS students wore roughouts with their Type III's. That was last June.

subreservist

I'm sure this varies by designator, but I got to do a ship mission on the USS Mount Whitney for a 2 week AT. I'm 1125 (Submarines) and was supporting 6th Fleet at the time. The mission wasn't about getting pin-qualified and it wasn't needed. Just a quick trainup to (i.e. one day) to watch screens supporting a watchbill.

It was actually pretty cool and we were underway and back on time...even got to do a side trip to Rome afterwards!

bluemarlin04

I'm sure this varies by designator, but I got to do a ship mission on the USS Mount Whitney for a 2 week AT. I'm 1125 (Submarines) and was supporting 6th Fleet at the time. The mission wasn't about getting pin-qualified and it wasn't needed. Just a quick trainup to (i.e. one day) to watch screens supporting a watchbill.

It was actually pretty cool and we were underway and back on time...even got to do a side trip to Rome afterwards!
Yes. But we’ren’t you already a qualified 1120?

What would they do with an 1835 on a carrier?

subreservist

True, I am, but that really didn't come into play. The mission was open to a lot of different designators; another guy in my unit who was Supply went, also.

I prefaced my comment that it could, and most likely, will vary by designator. My unit had a variety of different designaotrs - HR, SWO, Supply, Aviation. I'm not sure how Intel rolls, but I would imagine once qualified, you could steer yourself into a unique situation.