• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No More DCOIC as of FY20 - ODS Guidance

bryanteagle6

Reservist gouge was spot on. I was there as well. I plan on doing AT and ADT for RNIOBC still this FY. Ill let you know what all gets approved. Our unit does AT surges (what we call it) where are teams do them at the same time or back to back to create our product obligation at different times. We seem to get consistent funding approvals for some reason due to this set up.

If you are looking for gouge on the class itself, just ask!

Only addition to what has been said... is you also get the family seperation pay and have to identify if you wish to sell your leave or not.

Goodfou

The orders will most likely be written as type: ADT-Schools. Yes, this is your first AT. Any time you receive AT/ADT (all types)/ADSW) orders it counts towards your fiscal year requirement of "12-14 days of Active Duty training".

MILPERSMAN 1001-150 is the governing instruction. It's the first result in the Library of Google...

I guess the correct statement should be, “while the type of funding is NOT AT, it will satisfy your AT requirement for the year.” My point is that AT is a type of orders. Just as ADT, ADT-schools, and ADSW are types of orders. They are not synonymous.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I guess the correct statement should be, “while the type of funding is NOT AT, it will satisfy your AT requirement for the year.” My point is that AT is a type of orders. Just as ADT, ADT-schools, and ADSW are types of orders. They are not synonymous.

Agree with your statement.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
When I went last year the order type are AT-SC. Does that mean AT-Schools?

Crowninshield

Reservist gouge was spot on. I was there as well. I plan on doing AT and ADT for RNIOBC still this FY. Ill let you know what all gets approved. Our unit does AT surges (what we call it) where are teams do them at the same time or back to back to create our product obligation at different times. We seem to get consistent funding approvals for some reason due to this set up.

If you are looking for gouge on the class itself, just ask!

Only addition to what has been said... is you also get the family seperation pay and have to identify if you wish to sell your leave or not.

Ok, for the benefit of me and other DCO applicants, I'll bite- would be great to hear more from you, @bryanteagle6 , and @Reservist , about your ODS experience. Were reservists kept separate from active duty, or integrated? Were there any other significant differences from the standard ODS experience? Were you able to communicate much with the outside world, especially after the first couple of weeks (to answer the work emails, family homework crises, etc. that active duty accessions mostly don't have to worry about)? Did you get liberty the last couple of weekends?

bryanteagle6

While you are at ODS, you are an on active duty and treated like every other sailor. The only way anyone even knows if you are a reservist is if you tell them. The only time you are seperated from AD sailors is when you go to your corps specific trainings or if there are any reserve specific trainings. I think we had about 4 reserve specific trainings and one IWC 18XX specific trainings (admin, learning AT vs ADT, retirement points, etc type training). Most of the active component sailors are brand new and done know much about the Navy or military yet anyway. In our class (which could have been lucky) i would say the reservists actually were looked at as the leaders of the group. It was lucky we had great reservist who where also prior service like @Reservist .
If you are hooyah a d looking for stereotypical "military" training, it is not hard. I would say the training is good (no idea how they did it in 2 weeks) and it had the right balance of stress, leadership, and teamwork. I would say @Reservist got hammered more than the average sailor but he kind of signed up for it - ha! Maybe he will chime in. If youve done boot camp - no sweat!

Once you start wearing khakis, ppl can see your ribbons or lack thereof and then there is some additional ribbing/expectation but not much. Ie. Khaki inspection. Ill cover other stuff in my next post... gotta do navy work.

bryanteagle6

Every class is different obviously but the gouge that is out there on the web/blogs/YouTube is still pretty accurate.
You basically wear PTU for first week and 4th week.
2nd week NWU - 3rd and 5th weeks khakis.
You dont get your phone taken away from you but it must be locked in your locker at all times during the training day unless you have some sort of special privilege. Therefore you can have access to your phone/other devices after about 1900 in your room and all weekend as long as the training day is over. There isnt much training on the weekends. We did some work on Saturdays but were done by 1200 if so. Part of gettimg the most out of the training is to engage yourself in it, so if you are focusing on the training there isnt a lot of time to work on civilian things, but you do have access to your devices. There were some sailors that would disappear right at the end of training day and shut there door and take care of their own personal stuff all night. I think the sailor down the hall from me even worked her job at night the whole time there ( crazy ... don't do this). I turned my phone off during the day and sometimes at night to stay off it but was able to txt, video msg, checked email, etc for a short time every night - with my family. I tried to turn everything else off (work and even my navy unit work) the best i could the whole time i was there and get to know my shipmates in my class and get the most out of training. Some ppl where updating there instagram or whatever just as much as normal. Find your happy middle!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Thanks for the write up. And for the last DCOIC course, the two weeks were pretty horrible in terms of value, especially for those who were not prior service/enlisted. I felt it did people a disservice given there was an ODS class on the same deck as us.

StevenNRA

Beginning 13 March, Navy Recruit Training Command (RTC), the Navy’s boot camp, and Officer Training Command, which includes Officer Candidate School and other initial officer training programs, will suspend guest attendance at graduation ceremonies to prevent any potential spread of COVID 19 to either Sailors or Navy families.

Graduations themselves will continue, and will be live-streamed on Navy online platforms, including the social media.

Commander, Naval Service training command, which oversees both RTC and OTC, will continue to monitor the situation and consult with medical experts to decide when it is appropriate to resume guest attendance at graduation ceremonies. There are currently no confirmed cases of COVID-19 among students at either command, and both have robust screening processes in place for those who arrive each week.

This action is being taken out of an abundance of caution, to both ensure the welfare of Sailors and that RTC and OTC can continue its essential mission of producing basically trained Sailors. RTC

Recruits and OTC students impacted by this change are being authorized to call home to directly inform their loved ones.

OTCNewport/posts/2689076287876428

Last edited: