• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerdd972

I am taking the ASTB in May or June (2nd test). I want pilot as my first choice, NFO as 2nd and SWO as third. If I get NFO and not pilot what are my chances of getting to change back to pilot in OCS? My Officer Recruiter said that it can happen, any truth in this statement? Thanks for the help.
GM2(SW) USNR

Hosehead

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey GM2, I'm not too sure about being able to get it switched. What I am sure of though is that I need another GM2. So here's what I want you to do. Go down and tell the recruiter that you want to reenlist, and that you need to go to the VALLEY FORGE (CG 50). I'll make sure you get the MK45 "C" school if you haven't gone through it yet. If you have, then good to go. Just means you get here that much quicker. Deal?

LTJG Wilkins
Gunnery Officer
USS VALLEY FORGE (CG 50)

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey GM2,
Not to be negative but NO. When Stacey Kelly plowed that F-14 in on takeoff out of Nashville, that sealed the lid on the coffin for the NFO-Pilot transitions. Guys who were one week away from pilot wings were not allowed to wear the wings they had EARNED and were reverted back to NFO. It was unfair that an entire community lost an opportunity because some jackass pulled a bonehead. The Corps still allows it but it is extremely rare. You can always try but you'll have better odds in Vegas. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
GM2(SW),

Just to expand on Mari's comments... One of the guys I am going through training with right now (P3 FRS), was able to switch from SNFO to SNA in API. Through all of training we had together he still had the red SNFO grading jacket that prominently stated SNFO on the side while he went through pilot training. Was kind of a running joke. Anyways, I would not count on being able to switch in API, that is basically a long shot, and as Mari mentioned, it really depends on what the current manning is and if they need SNFOs or SNAs more at the moment to make that change for you.

For my own selection, I never even put down NFO as an option/choice. But then, surprisingly I got picked up for pilot, and the rest so to speak is history.

Hope we were able to shed some light on this for you.

Steve, go poach somewhere else to make up your manning short falls, this GM2 is on to bigger and better things than getting your people up to 3 section watch bill .

Frumby, what is the story behind that mishap? Any contributing causes to the crash, or just plain stupidity?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
First let me clarify, you still have an opportunity to switch (slight) while in API but once you are a designated NON FLYING OFFICER, forget it.
John, plain stupidity. Took off out of Nashville in a low ceiling doing an unrestricted climb. It was a little "Watch This" for mom and dad who he had come to visit. He ended up in a suburban neighborhood killing some people on the ground. They believed he got vertigo and just became disoriented. He was a NFO to Pilot transition. At that time they had a couple of other "incidents" with former NFO's so they banished an entire community from a opportunity. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Todd

I think that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for all of us who hope to redesignate to pilot from NFO. Last month they canceled the program that allowed SNFOs to redesignate to SNA at the end of API. But last week CNET sent a notice to all of the CO's of the NROTC units announcing "The reinstatement of the NFO to Pilot transition program in response to overwhelming fleet interest." Basically, you have to get winged as an NFO and spend at least 18 months in a fleet squadron, then you can apply to redesignate. I have the e-mail that CNET sent, so if you want to read the whole thing, send me an e-mail at txr135@hotmail.com, and I'll send it to you. I get commissioned on this Friday and I'm off to P-Cola on Monday...I hope to see some of you guys there.

Todd

Ed Williams

I was sriginally selected as an NFO. I went down to ACES and realized that i wanted to be a pilot. I called my recruiter and asked to be redesignated. I had to write a letterand that was it. I was accepted into pilot about 2 weeks later. I don't know if my case is rare, but it worked for me.
ed

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well I'll be damn. That is good to hear! I can only say proceed with caution. If you are physically qualified but can't get a pilot slot, I would advise against going to NFO. NFO training is long and intensive and is a very expensive MOS. If the demand for pilots change for the worse, you could be stuck as a NFO. I have many friends who have had this same experience. It is almost a better route to become a black shoe and reapply for the pilot slot. Black shoes are cheap MOS's (no offense Steve) and a lateral move to pilot is a viable option. The biggest problem is that you would go to flight school as a jg selected to 0-3 or as a 0-3. This will hurt you on fitness reports (potentially). Its a crap shoot either way. Timing is everything. Good luck. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, not necessarily the case. If a person went the black shoe route (the cheap seats so to speak) WITH the intention of laterally transfering over to SNA, then he/she could very easily transfer while still as an Ensign or even possibly as a newly promoted LTJG. As a SWO, we can put in our package to laterally transfer to another community as soon as we get out pin. There is no mandatory time on the ship, mandatory number of completed division officer tours before you can submit your package, etc, etc. Granted, you will have to bust your ass and make damn sure the Captain knows your intentions up front. It is much better to be honest with your CO about something like that than to keep it from him. If you show him you've got the heart, he'll give you the greatest recommendation you've ever seen...if he's worth the bars that he wears that is. Then again, if you turn in a package and ask your CO for a recommendation letter to laterally transfer on the day you get your pin, he's gonna look at you pretty startled. Then he'll want to know why he didn't know about it. Now you've just screwed yourself.

As for the fitness reports. My philosophy on fitreps is pretty straight forward and fairly simple. It goes like this: Who gives a damn! Do your job the best way you know how and don't worry about impressing your superiors. As for your fitreps while in flight school....sure, they're gonna be unobserved. Ahhhhh, so what. People worry about whether they're punching the right tickets for their career and inevitably miss out on half the fun in the process. Do what interests you and do it well. The rest will take care of itself.

note: a lateral transfer to anything out of SWO is a viable option, not just to pilot...FYI

Jeff29

Science Project
According to MILPERSMAN and an aviation community manager at Bupers, in addition to getting pinned (if you're in a qualifying community and unit), you can't transfer until you hit 24 months and are within 6 months of your PRD.

Those requirements can be waived at the discretion of your detailer (from your original community).

nickou23

I think this fits in somewhere earlier in this thread, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you want to be a pilot, put pilot down on your application and nothing else. I'm pretty sure my application reflected this, unless the recruiter filled in something I didn't notice.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
quote:According to MILPERSMAN and an aviation community manager at Bupers, in addition to getting pinned, you can't transfer until you hit 24 months and are within 6 months of your PRD.

According to this, your tour would be 30 months. And this is simply not true. The longest your tour would be for a SWO (without extending onboard) is 24 months. So in that respect, you could do 18 months on a 24 month tour. Still more than enough time to get your pin and would put you within 6 months of your PRD. By the way, how does this apply to nukes who transfer at the 18 month point (or even less)?

-Steve

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Steve, I applaud your attitude on Fit Reps. In fact, in the Corps, it generally works that way but unfortunately not the NAVY. I've written for SWO's as well as Airdales and the communities are extremely different in regards to how a fit rep should be written. It does matter and it can end a career but if you want to fly-- who cares. Let the chips fall where they may and have a good time. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.