• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot in the Navy or Air Force

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Yes, he plans to join the flying club at bases where he’ll be stationed to tune his flying skills and to get proper skill level PPL. Once he’s comfortable enough flying, we may buy a civilian plane together for short distance hop around. There are many options at price of buying good cars. I have to do more homework around operating cost per flight hours subject to type of aircraft. It’s like owning a boat. Hopefully it doesn’t depreciate as quickly as boats. Thanks.
Before I joined the Navy I was told “The yearly slots for those who wish to go from NFO to Pilot are so small that you might as well not bother”. While it is true that the slots per year are usually very small, there’s also a similarly small pool of individuals who actually apply each year. In my experience from knowing those that were selected in my squadron, sister squadrons and those who joined the squadron after completing the transition, Those that get picked up for it are individuals who succeeded in their first tour as an NFO, had the medical requirements for Pilot and a supportive Commanding Officer to sign off the package.

Tell your son to go for it if he truly wants it, but he has to carefully navigate his first tour in order to do so successfully. He should work hard as an NFO, and after he gets fully qualified in his platform, he should then pursue this avenue. Showing up to a fleet squadron and immediately putting his cards on the table when he arrives may unintentionally send a negative message to his CO. Not all COs are supportive of individuals who apply for special programs, but most are.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ll echo what was said previously, but I would add that his career timing will play a huge role. Only certain year groups are eligible to apply for each board, so he will need to be in the right window to apply when he already has an EP FITREP/will have one on the books prior to the board meeting.

He could be a standout performer, and do everything right, but still not have the chance to successfully apply due to overall career timing. He certainly should still pursue it if it’s something he wants, but he needs to be aware that there are a myriad of factors in play, only some of which he’ll be able to control.

Stalion

Before I joined the Navy I was told “The yearly slots for those who wish to go from NFO to Pilot are so small that you might as well not bother”. While it is true that the slots per year are usually very small, there’s also a similarly small pool of individuals who actually apply each year. In my experience from knowing those that were selected in my squadron, sister squadrons and those who joined the squadron after completing the transition, Those that get picked up for it are individuals who succeeded in their first tour as an NFO, had the medical requirements for Pilot and a supportive Commanding Officer to sign off the package.

Tell your son to go for it if he truly wants it, but he has to carefully navigate his first tour in order to do so successfully. He should work hard as an NFO, and after he gets fully qualified in his platform, he should then pursue this avenue. Showing up to a fleet squadron and immediately putting his cards on the table when he arrives may unintentionally send a negative message to his CO. Not all COs are supportive of individuals who apply for special programs, but most are.
Thank you very much for your thoughtful perspective. You are absolutely right that there are things he can control and things he cannot. He will focus on what he can control and put his head down and do the best job he can and enjoy his new career and squadron as an NFO on a jet. He’s already grateful that he got the platform he wished for and he worked very hard for it. During training, he decorated his room walls with class notes and instrument illustration posters. He bought T6 simulators to practice at home before going to fly or do simulations in class, and practice Nav and Comm. He’s hard working.

He acts carefully, listens and observes others before he makes his move. He is very humble sometimes too humble but likes to earn respect from others through his actions. He is a man with few words. So I don’t worry about him acting like a maverick cowboy on this pursuit if he decides to pursue it. He said he wants to do the best job he can at FRS and enjoy his job as EWO or WSO. If he gets a good fit rep and his command is supportive and he is willing to serve extended service time commitment to 16 years instead of 8, that’s when he will act. Getting feedback from you and others now is due diligence. And it’s paying dividends since we are getting various perspectives and feedback. Thank you!

Stalion

I’ll echo what was said previously, but I would add that his career timing will play a huge role. Only certain year groups are eligible to apply for each board, so he will need to be in the right window to apply when he already has an EP FITREP/will have one on the books prior to the board meeting.

He could be a standout performer, and do everything right, but still not have the chance to successfully apply due to overall career timing. He certainly should still pursue it if it’s something he wants, but he needs to be aware that there are a myriad of factors in play, only some of which he’ll be able to control.
Thank you and I agree with you!

Stalion

That’s wonderful! Congrats to your daughter. Air Force seems to be more flexible and perhaps prefers to keep their Aviators than to lose them to the Airlines at their apax flying career. It’s a good retention program for all Aviators who wish to fly on their own.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
He had to make a detour to NFO while at the Naval Academy during service selection.
I think this can probably be chalked up to a "lost in internet translation" issue, but I would advise you and your son to be careful about the type of language you use concerning his Naval Aviation career path.

The language you use here could be interpreted as you saying that your son has been wrongfully inconvenienced on the path to his rightful destiny as a member of the Single Anchor Master Race. As others have alluded, that won't play well in conversation with others, especially his fellow peer and senior NFOs.

That being said, best of luck to your son! If he keeps a positive attitude about kicking ass as an NFO, I'd welcome him into my VAQ squadron.

Stalion

It’s the latter to your point. He’s definitely excited to fly as FO on strike. He thinks the platform mission role fits him well. And he’s definitely not the “Hangman” personality from Maverick. He’s a person of few words until you get to know him. He considers others’ many opinions before he speaks his own. I need to learn about this world so I can give him proper dad advice as I am learning this new world together. This forum is helpful to fill that vacuum. Thanks

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
He’s a person of few words until you get to know him. He considers others’ many opinions before he speaks his own.

When dad's not around

frank-the-tank-rage.gif