• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot in the Navy or Air Force

Stalion

Can anyone give insights to how Student NFO on strike jet platform from the Navy can wing as Pilot, in the Navy or the Air Force, either by going Pilot training to double wing after completing the first NFO sea tour or switching during Intermediate/Advanced training as WSO or EWO?

Navy seems to be a natural path but may have to give more service time, how much longer in total? And can you return to your squadron as Pilot or have options to fly different jets? If to lat transfer to the Air Force to be a Pilot what’s the pathway there and the bureaucracy?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Can anyone give insights to how Student NFO on strike jet platform from the Navy can wing as Pilot, in the Navy or the Air Force, either by going Pilot training to double wing after completing the first NFO sea tour or switching during Intermediate/Advanced training as WSO or EWO?

Navy seems to be a natural path but may have to give more service time, how much longer in total? And can you return to your squadron as Pilot or have options to fly different jets? If to lat transfer to the Air Force to be a Pilot what’s the pathway there and the bureaucracy?

If you want to be a pilot why not just apply to be one? Assuming you’re an OCS applicant.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The site search function is full of insights. There are several threads discussing most of your concerns. Bottom line, it is an EXTREME longshot, so if you want to be a pilot, don't be an NFO.

Stalion

Thanks. My son is already an NFO, Academy grad and just got Jet assigned. He’s contemplating double winging. So I posed the question. Just wanted to see what options there are for him.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. My son is already an NFO, Academy grad and just got Jet assigned. He’s contemplating double winging. So I posed the question. Just wanted to see what options there are for him.
No disrespect, but a parent taking this level of interest in their adult son's career is kinda weird. Saying that he's "contemplating double winging" is a bit like me saying that I'm contemplating winning the Nobel Prize in literature. It isn't just a choice one makes.

In any case, that decision is at least 4-5 years down the road in most cases. Your son should focus on actually experiencing life as an NFO before he decides that he doesn't want to be one.

Stalion

Don’t get him wrong, he is very happy and grateful to fly jets as NFO. I think he will really enjoy it. He plans to decide after he finishes his first sea tour if he wants to stay in for a career rather than to finish out as a NFO and dive to Civ job. If he decides to do career he wants to double wing. He has his own set of connections in the Navy / Air Force who fly jets and big wings now and in the past. And they are fantastic people. Some I have met. He speaks to them directly to get aviation career advice.

This is more for me so I can understand his world when I speak to him and when he asks for dad advise.

Coming to Naval Aviation was not a straight flight pattern for him. He had to make a detour to NFO while at the Naval Academy during service selection. He got Nuke drafted even after graduating from the Academy powered flight program - PFP which is a condensed version of NIFE or IFT. So it took him months to get reassigned after meeting with the Air Boss and persuading the Nuke ADM to allow him to serve in Aviation career. He was only one of very few allowed to go Aviation from Nuke draft before graduation. By then, it was so late in the process they no longer had Pilot billlet but only had NFO to offer him. So he took it.

When he arrived at NAS Pensacola, his packet was ready for Pilot training but the command told him they are short of NFO so he will train as NFO.

Not at all strange for parents to be so interested in their children’s Naval Career. In fact, many are. Majority of Academy parents are very involved with the Academy and the Navy communities where they live. I’m honored that my children want to serve. We have 2 in the Navy.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
He can always use his GI Bill to pay for civilian flight training. If he’s single and plays his money right he can maybe work on his civilian cred on the weekends or free time.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
While @Brett327 had good advice (search, and it’s not a decision your son can just “make), I will say that depending on the year odds may not be too low. E-2 NFO buddy of mine got picked up for NFO to pilot; my understanding (things may have changed and my understanding may be wrong) is they take 5 a year. That year only 6 applied.

Either way, he needs to do his job and be a good NFO first. Showing up to the squadron telling everybody he should have been a pilot or will be is a great way to be “that guy”. He may find he prefers the NFO job/mission more than being a glorified stick monkey. Either way, when he’s established himself as competent in his job he can start talking to his DHs and front office about the dream of his if it’s something he still wants to do. Comes with extra commitment, and he’ll never likely make skipper or beyond as he’d be way off the “golden” path.

If he did get picked up, he’d go through pilot training and will select what he selects as will the other trainees based on performance, desire, and most importantly needs of the navy. His experience as an NFO *should* give him a huge leg up on the other students, who are trying to learn how to fly the aircraft while also learning how to do other skills your son has already mastered like comms and instrument training.

There’s no similar program I’m aware of for Navy NFO to Air Force pilot. All this said, it’s a lot of cart before the horse; NFO wings should be his primary goal right now.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Not at all strange for parents to be so interested in their children’s Naval Career. In fact, many are. Majority of Academy parents are very involved with the Academy and the Navy communities where they live. I’m honored that my children want to serve. We have 2 in the Navy.

It’s one thing during a training environment (like enlisted boot camp), it’s another where they finally graduate and are off on their own.

In terms of advice, you don’t have to ask questions or find answers on behalf your son - he should be old enough to do just that. You can always direct them to this website (just one example) or talk to his peers / leadership.

Stalion

While @Brett327 had good advice (search, and it’s not a decision your son can just “make), I will say that depending on the year odds may not be too low. E-2 NFO buddy of mine got picked up for NFO to pilot; my understanding (things may have changed and my understanding may be wrong) is they take 5 a year. That year only 6 applied.

Either way, he needs to do his job and be a good NFO first. Showing up to the squadron telling everybody he should have been a pilot or will be is a great way to be “that guy”. He may find he prefers the NFO job/mission more than being a glorified stick monkey. Either way, when he’s established himself as competent in his job he can start talking to his DHs and front office about the dream of his if it’s something he still wants to do. Comes with extra commitment, and he’ll never likely make skipper or beyond as he’d be way off the “golden” path.

If he did get picked up, he’d go through pilot training and will select what he selects as will the other trainees based on performance, desire, and most importantly needs of the navy. His experience as an NFO *should* give him a huge leg up on the other students, who are trying to learn how to fly the aircraft while also learning how to do other skills your son has already mastered like comms and instrument training.

There’s no similar program I’m aware of for Navy NFO to Air Force pilot. All this said, it’s a lot of cart before the horse; NFO wings should be his primary goal right now.
Yes and that is where his head is now, to become a good NFO and enjoy that life. Thanks.

Stalion

He can always use his GI Bill to pay for civilian flight training. If he’s single and plays his money right he can maybe work on his civilian cred on the weekends or free time.
Yes, he plans to join the flying club at bases where he’ll be stationed to tune his flying skills and to get proper skill level PPL. Once he’s comfortable enough flying, we may buy a civilian plane together for short distance hop around. There are many options at price of buying good cars. I have to do more homework around operating cost per flight hours subject to type of aircraft. It’s like owning a boat. Hopefully it doesn’t depreciate as quickly as boats. Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, he plans to join the flying club at bases where he’ll be stationed to tune his flying skills and to get proper skill level PPL. Once he’s comfortable enough flying, we may buy a civilian plane together for short distance hop around. There are many options at price of buying good cars. I have to do more homework around operating cost per flight hours subject to type of aircraft. It’s like owning a boat. Hopefully it doesn’t depreciate as quickly as boats. Thanks.
Flying clubs are almost extinct. Does anyone know of a base that still has one? I think JAX and PAX River may be the last ones?

JoeBob1788

Pensacola has a Navy Flying Club on Pensacola International, and I have no doubt you know more about Cascade Aviation (morphed from the Whidbey Navy Flying Club) than I do.