• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFL bans guns for off duty police

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some agencies require their officers to carry off duty. So now they either violate NFL ban, violate agency policy, or not go to the games and drop hundreds of bucks on the NFL. I prefer the later and hope they keep dozens of their friends from going too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
NFL is a private business. They have the right to run their business as they see fit. If they don't want weapons at their games, regardless of who's carrying them, then that's their call. I'm sure they've studied the pros and cons of this decision.

I'd also wager that major sporting events are some of the most policed events in the world. It would give the NFL a huge hit in consumer confidence if an event were to happen during one of their games that is broadcasted to millions.

Renegade One

None
I expect there may be an additional reason…perhaps a realization that off-duty LEOs are free to get every bit as gooned out of their minds on 24 oz. cups of beer as anyone else. But I'm just spit-balling here...

azguy

None
Like with anything else, all it takes is a few bad apples to fvck up a good deal for everyone else.

Sheepdip

Contributor
It would give the NFL a huge hit in consumer confidence if an event were to happen during one of their games that is broadcasted to millions.

You mean like a small group armed with automatic weapons storming a ticket gate and opening fire once inside? Not sure about you but I rarely see LEOs inside the NFL games I go to, which is quite a few. Just old people in "security" jackets.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I expect there may be an additional reason…perhaps a realization that off-duty LEOs are free to get every bit as gooned out of their minds on 24 oz. cups of beer as anyone else. But I'm just spit-balling here...
And misuse a weapon? Yeah, that happens every week.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFL is a private business. They have the right to run their business as they see fit. If they don't want weapons at their games, regardless of who's carrying them, then that's their call. I'm sure they've studied the pros and cons of this decision.

I'd also wager that major sporting events are some of the most policed events in the world. It would give the NFL a huge hit in consumer confidence if an event were to happen during one of their games that is broadcasted to millions.
And if something happened it is the off duty guys with guns providing the first defense.

No one claims that the NFL can't make their own rules ( although some stadiums are publicly owned and they may not have as much control over this as they think) . It is the fact that it is so illogical and politically correct. Name one major private enterprise that bans armed off duty police officers. In the airline business we welcome armed officers, on business travel and off duty. My airline gives them special boarding privileges. That is because we recognize their value.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My give a shit factor on this is pretty low. Welcome to being treated like the rest of us.
You don't have to give a shit. I don't care in the sense that I don't go to NFL games or even watch much on TV. As to why they should be treated different than you regarding carry, they have a legal obligation to intervene if they witness a crime and they can be targeted by any number of dirt balls they have arrested. I think probably the only guys you have to worry about are few jealous husbands and boyfriends. And if you were careful, they are smaller than you or big wimps. ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
You don't have to give a shit. I don't care in the sense that I don't go to NFL games or even watch much on TV. As to why they should be treated different than you regarding carry, they have a legal obligation to intervene if they witness a crime and they can be targeted by any number of dirt balls they have arrested. I think probably the only guys you have to worry about are few jealous husbands and boyfriends. And if you were careful, they are smaller than you or big wimps. ;)

Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but I would figure that such a large public event, like an NFL game, would have an extensive series of pre-planned responses to deal with the full spectrum of threats. While you may not see the LEO at a game, I'd be very surprised to learn that LEO would have a minimal footprint at such a potential target.

The public ownership of stadiums was a caveat that had me curious, but the NFL is big enough that they can set their own rules and expect a city to fall in step.

It is an interesting decision and I'd be curious as to what prompted the change.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
I don't really see what ground the NFL has to stand on. They are tennants in stadiums that are subject to the rules and laws of local municipalities. I understand why the NFL thinks this is a good idea, but I fail to see how it could stand up in court. The NFL has been pretty successful at losing legal battles of late.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Yeah, because those gun-free zones work so well in places like Chicago and Detroit :confused:

Me personally, I don't really care. I don't go to NFL games. Let these idiots create another target-rich environment (I mean.... gun-free safe zone...). It'll just be the next Nairobi mall scene one day....