• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO/SWO Rolling Board in February 2015

mb1685

Hey, I just wanted to come to this thread for advice. I've been on the site for a couple of weeks and took my ASTB today. My scores were 47, 5/6/6. Realistically, I already know I have to retake the test, there's no other way around it for now. I plan on getting my package together for this next board, but I have a feeling that I should wait til the board after this one so I can improve my scores. Just some background on me:
22 years old
Applying for SNA/SNFO/Intel
BA in Anthropology from U.C Davis, 3.24 GPA
LOR's: Retired O-5, High school Track Coach, 2 Employment References, Reference from Professor, a retired O-4 and O-7 (both possibilities, not for sure yet).
This is just a brief description of my package. I plan on studying for my second ASTB and attending a ground school at the local airport. Is there any other advice anyone can give for now?

You might as well apply. Those scores aren't bad, based on what I've seen around here. A retake wouldn't hurt, but you don't really have anything to lose by applying this time. Best case scenario, you get picked up. If not, you can make the next board if you retake, since I believe retaking counts as a significant change to your package and therefore you don't have to wait 6 months to reapply (which would likely mean missing the next rolling board after this one).

zsmall1

If the board meets in February is it realistic to expect an OCS report date of Summer or Fall '15 or is it still possible they can slot you into a 2016 class?

I'm submitting a SWO kit with a 55 OAR, 3.3 GPA in Econ/Poli sci (graduated early), and college athletics. I'm putting all of my eggs in one basket with this and I have the mindset that I will be accepted and able to report by summer or fall the latest which will allow me to leave my job a month or two beforehand. Right now my day job is passing by in microwave minutes so I can't wait to hear that beautiful sound of the drill instructor in Newport. It will be music to my ears.

You might as well apply. Those scores aren't bad, based on what I've seen around here. A retake wouldn't hurt, but you don't really have anything to lose by applying this time. Best case scenario, you get picked up. If not, you can make the next board if you retake, since I believe retaking counts as a significant change to your package and therefore you don't have to wait 6 months to reapply (which would likely mean missing the next rolling board after this one).

Can anyone confirm that "retaking counts as a significant change to your package and therefore you don't have to wait 6 months to reapply" I just got the N for supply and I didn't put in for SWO. Would like to know before I hit my age out by October. :eek:

mhunter

None
Can anyone confirm that "retaking counts as a significant change to your package and therefore you don't have to wait 6 months to reapply" I just got the N for supply and I didn't put in for SWO. Would like to know before I hit my age out by October. :eek:
That is what my OR told me! If you retake the test and increase your score, you can go before the board again before the 6 months are up.

That is what my OR told me! If you retake the test and increase your score, you can go before the board again before the 6 months are up.

I need to have a talk with my OR!!! lol.
Also in the event I somehow magically score lower than before, what would happen?

exNavyOffRec

Unless they have changed it the 6 month wait is only for the same designator, you were never seen by the board so you were never considered by them.

tawojt

I just spoke with my recruiter and he mentioned that there is a greater need for NFOs right now than pilots. Has anyone else heard anything similar from their recruiter/been encouraged to submit for NFO as opposed to pilot?

mhunter

None
This whole waiting thing really sucks! I know it's all about hurry up and wait and we will grow accustomed to it if we are lucky enough to get selected to serve. However, it makes it extremely hard knowing I have absolutely nothing left to work on for my kit. My kit was submitted two days late to hit the October NFO board. But I like to feel productive and I don't right now. I am throwing myself into my masters, PT and my work, but I still catch myself thinking about it constantly. I think I check this site every 30 minutes to see if there has been any word on when the next boards will meet. Anyone who has gone through this before have any advice on how to pass the time quicker or get my mind off of this? I am going to drive myself nuts thinking about it for another two months!​

exNavyOffRec

I just spoke with my recruiter and he mentioned that there is a greater need for NFOs right now than pilots. Has anyone else heard anything similar from their recruiter/been encouraged to submit for NFO as opposed to pilot?

submit for the both, put the one you would like to do most as #1

pilots have more billets than nfo's I never saw a circumstance where NFO's were in more demand than Pilots, if a person finds out in OCS they can't be a Pilot but still be in aviation they can be moved to NFO if the space exist.

NathanSmart

Pretty close to submitting my background check and application finally. It took about a month of gathering stuff on and off, i'm actually glad boards aren't until February gives me further time to breath. Now would probably be a good time to get back in shape.

I learned at MEPS that my uncorrected distant visual acuity is 20/70 correctable to 20/20. For not being under the SNA 20/40 requirement, they did not administer a depth perception test. Since I am not qualified for SNA on the basis of being 20/70, I have two questions regarding SNFO apps.

1. Do I need a depth perception test administered for SNFO? I received an informational memo from my recruiter prior to MEPS stating that eye exams must include depth perception, but that doesn't align with what the official Navy medical website says about standards for SNFO applicants.
2. Do I need to correct my vision prior to submitting my to kit? Does the board need to see I have glasses/contacts? Or can they just see that my vision is correctable to 20/20 and issue me Navy glasses in school?

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
MEPS does a standard military physical. Remember, everyone from the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, etc. all get physicals there. For vision, you'll be given a standard eye exam which includes color vision and depth perception. Leave your contacts at home, bring your prescription glasses to MEPS.

haimehhh

RE: vision testing for MEPS in the context of SWO applicants: so color-blindness is disqualifying for SWO from what I've gleaned from boards and posted requirements, but to what degree?

I completely fail the ishihara (colored numbers from arrays of dots) but did well on the FALANT (red, green, white lights set in a vertical row). does anyone know how this will be received? I also applied Intel, IW, and Supply and will be blessed with any of the options but SWO is/was my primary desire so I'm pretty curious.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
RE: vision testing for MEPS in the context of SWO applicants: so color-blindness is disqualifying for SWO from what I've gleaned from boards and posted requirements, but to what degree?

I completely fail the ishihara (colored numbers from arrays of dots) but did well on the FALANT (red, green, white lights set in a vertical row). does anyone know how this will be received? I also applied Intel, IW, and Supply and will be blessed with any of the options but SWO is/was my primary desire so I'm pretty curious.

It depends on the "severity" (best way to say it) when your medical documents are reviewed by N3M. Once an N3M letter is generated and sent to your recruiter, it will say specifically which programs you're medically qualified for.