• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When it comes to knowledge about the status of your application, is your processor a better source than your OR? Reason I ask is that most of the time I ask my OR about my application status he gives very vague responses that almost sound like guesses and recently I asked my civilian processor and he said pretty confidently my application is at Tennessee at NRC awaiting future boards. Sorry if this seems obvious, but I get a little confused as to how much of a role the processors and OR's actually have in different aspects of the process.
Talk to the Processor. If that NRD has a policy about certain info required to come from the recruiter, then you will be referred to the recruiter and he should have the info.

mjv305

ENS SNA
i called the ocs help desk and the board i am going for is in August 2011 and i am applying for pilot. Have your package one month prior they told me..

GreenLantern330

i called the ocs help desk and the board i am going for is in August 2011 and i am applying for pilot. Have your package one month prior they told me..

I'm fairly certain the OCS help desk only gives out info about OCS and applications in regards to current enlisted only. So, as valid a statement this may be, it may not be applicable to most of us.

I just drove to my processor's office to update and re-finalize my package, and she said that they are still under orders to not submit packages because they still don't know if they are going to have a board in August. Just wondering if anyone has heard something similar or if there has been some change? Thanks.

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
Heard the same from my OR today. She said there could be a board in August, September, or October and won't be able to submit until that is finalized and the day the flood gates are opened will depend on when the board is.....30 day minimum heads up.

boostadikt

VFA-106
Been waiting 6 months to submit my application, talked to my recruiter yesterday and he also said tentatively August but before that it was February, then March, then May. Also does anyone know what the OCS situation is? He said they have been pushing people back from last year to the fall and winter OCS for this year, so even if I get picked I might not leave till January or later. Can anyone confirm or deny how packed OCS is?

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
I asked my OR the same thing. She said there is nothing certain as far as board dates yet. And that before, not sure when that means, applicants would receive their final select letters a few weeks after the board if they made it. The final select letters usually included the class date which is the past she said was about 3 months from the time the letter was sent out. Now however, with the backlog and economy and general craziness it is looking like class dates are being made more often for 6 months to one year following final select. Not sure what the everyone's recruiters are saying but that was the word from mine and she has been fairly straight-forward. Hope that helps. Good luck, man!

GreenLantern330

Been waiting 6 months to submit my application, talked to my recruiter yesterday and he also said tentatively August but before that it was February, then March, then May. Also does anyone know what the OCS situation is? He said they have been pushing people back from last year to the fall and winter OCS for this year, so even if I get picked I might not leave till January or later. Can anyone confirm or deny how packed OCS is?

When you ship to OCS will depend on a few things. First being which FY you'll be selected in. Then, your designator will play a role in it too. If Big Navy decides they need more people for your designator ASAP, then expect a sooner OCS date, and if not, well then yeah, you get the picture. From what everyone else is saying about the wait though, Pilot Paul is right; it should be between 6 months to a year.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

6 months, that's it? Must be nice :)

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
Wow...yeah that just made me realize I've been trying for five. Not much compared to most of you, but still, dang.

strawberry22

My OR has only mentioned the April boards. I hope to have my ASTB scores next week to decide whether or not I pursue a career in Navy Aviation or accept that job at Google.

You could do both. Even if you pursue a Naval Officer career and get selected, it is most likely going to take at least a year to to get to OCS. Just reading all of the posts, everyone says to have a back up plan and go with a career like you weren't even going in, and then when you get accepted, leave your job and become an Officer. Selected OCS candidates have waited over a year in some situations. My advice: take any career offer you may get for now and worry about OCS once selected, but definitely apply to it, if that's really what you want.

Edit: Ooops... I got that quote from the first page... nm!

boostadikt

VFA-106
6 months, that's it? Must be nice :)

haha, yeah I never thought it would be this tough to get in. US Navy, where it takes a really long time to process a basic amount of paperwork.

kidding... but waiting on other people to make life changing decisions pretty much sucks.

Over my year and a half now working for the US Navy as a Civilian I have developed a simple rule of thumb. However many weeks you think something should take to get done, that’s how many months it will take. Granted this is only if you are lucky, if problems arise it will most definitely take longer and you may have to restart from scratch.

Tonkovich.J

You sure are lucky you've been waiting only six months. May marks the 17th month that I have been directly engaged with my recruiter and the Navy as a whole. That sure is a depressing thought now that I think about it.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
With all of the talk about waiting, just think how awesome it's going to be the first time you get to put on that uniform. At least that's what I keep telling myself in order to stay motivated.