• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

Lucy

Fairly easy to do updates. However, you'll likely lose your spot in the pile... so unless update is major I personally wouldn't risk it with as many apps there will be. However, have till May 1 before apps can even be sent so that gives you some time.

Sonog

pilot
Fairly easy to do updates. However, you'll likely lose your spot in the pile... so unless update is major I personally wouldn't risk it with as many apps there will be. However, have till May 1 before apps can even be sent so that gives you some time.

Anyone think 5 hours worth of flight time is worth mentioning?

Lucy

I think he meant was it worth mentioning if it kicked his application further back into the pile, in which case Busybee said no. I would agree, not worth the risk, but then again I am not applying pilot.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think he meant was it worth mentioning if it kicked his application further back into the pile, in which case Busybee said no. I would agree, not worth the risk, but then again I am not applying pilot.

What I meant was I wouldn't take the risk of losing 'seniority' in the pile for a mere 5.0 (which isn't going to give any edge in the selection process). Were it in the 100+ hr. range, perhaps a different story.:icon_smil
BzB :sleep_125

Lucy

I think I need to remember to name who the he was. Sonog was the asking, Busybee said no. I agreed.

Kind of like that it is not worth updating the app if you did a weekend volunteering trip. Nice but overall insignificant.

Sonog-Props to getting the hours in though.

Sonog

pilot
I wasn't too specific.

I will have at least 5 if not more by the end of the month and I was wondering if that was worth adding now or if would be totally insignificant. I definitely would not risk losing any priority/seniority/whatever in the pile. When I heard about the boards on hold I decided to just dive in and go for the PPL while I wait. I figured adding 40+ hours and the license/certificate would be an awesome package upgrade if I don't get selected first try. If I never get selected it'll at least be a good time and awesome experience (but ouch $$$).

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Not worth the hit to the pocket with very minimal influence for selection. If it is BDCP money or someone else is paying the bill, go for it..but not worth the cost just to beef up a package. What you learn in 40 hours is very basic and your proficiency is questionable considering the lack of standardization in civilian training (with respect to PPL, not professional flying).

Tacking on an instrument or commercial rating is another story.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who told you this? Back in the day when we were building a 600 ship Navy and had to crew it with thousands of people to hold the commie hoard at bay, we pretty much had rolling boards. Back then, what you assert may have been the case. I don't recall it ever coming up though since things moved fairly quickly. But up until a couple years ago (when I retired), under the intermittent board arrangement, what you say never happened. There is a deadline for a reason. If the app was in by the deadline, it was considered. I was no rank order, first in first considered, or anything like that. If, as you say, they just go through the pile in the order that apps were received, they could fill their quota for that board and leave better apps on the table. It is far more likely, and the way it has been done in the past, that every app in on time is reviewed, without regard for time in or place in the stack. They pick then pick the best of that lot, that arrived on time. Every application competes against all the others before the board at that time. That is the point of a competitive application process. If there has been a change I'd like to know your source. It surely doesn't make since for a selection board based on interment convening dates and application deadlines.

Who told you this? Back in the day when we were building a 600 ship Navy and had to crew it with thousands of people to hold the commie hoard at bay, we pretty much had rolling boards. Back then, what you assert may have been the case. I don't recall it ever coming up though since things moved fairly quickly. But up until a couple years ago (when I retired), under the intermittent board arrangement, what you say never happened. There is a deadline for a reason. If the app was in by the deadline, it was considered. I was no rank order, first in first considered, or anything like that. If, as you say, they just go through the pile in the order that apps were received, they could fill their quota for that board and leave better apps on the table. It is far more likely, and the way it has been done in the past, that every app in on time is reviewed, without regard for time in or place in the stack. They pick then pick the best of that lot, that arrived on time. Every application competes against all the others before the board at that time. That is the point of a competitive application process. If there has been a change I'd like to know your source. It surely doesn't make since for a selection board based on interment convening dates and application deadlines.

I have not heard what will happen at this board but I do know that within the past few years this has not been the case.
When I applied to BDCP ~2 years ago boards were limited to 150 applicants. First come first serve and everyone who did not get in got rolled to the next month.

Levianthams- More than likely speculation. The processors have the applications and the boards are not accepting them until May 1, so at this point 0 have been received.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not heard what will happen at this board but I do know that within the past few years this has not been the case.
When I applied to BDCP ~2 years ago boards were limited to 150 applicants. First come first serve and everyone who did not get in got rolled to the next month.
That is more like I remember, BUT, that was when we were holding more frequent boards. There was a time when they met weekly or bi weekly. The only threat of "losing" you place in the stack was a delay of maybe 3 weeks. Moreover, and I think you implied this, whatever the number of applicants considered, they were considered in total, competitively, not individually in order of arriving at CNRC.

Oh, don't think they couldn't consider 1400 applications, if that number is accurate. I guarantee you that at least 30% of those apps are not even close to being competitive (no one here, of course :icon_wink ). It is real easy to go through with a broad brush and cull hundreds in one day. The next cull is only a little more difficult. They will end of with only a few hundred to seriously consider. Take for example the military academies. They get many more than 1400 applicants and they manage just fine. Good luck to all.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
If there has been a change I'd like to know your source.

Sir,

I am more than likely one of the sources everyone is referring. Due to what happened with me I have begun to tell everyone not to make a change to their application once it is submitted unless you MUST. Adding 5 flight hours is not a change someone MUST do to their package as it wouldn't be that beneficial (in my humble opinion) compared to other applicants. Changing your designator is a MUST change. People get tabled or rolled into the next months boards all the time currently and it isn't just one or two people getting tabled. Was their applications submitted by the deadline? Did they make a change to their application? I don't know. I can only speak to my situation. Has something changed to the system since you retired some years back? Once again I have no clue. But yes it seems the boards are tabling applicants frequently in this current board environment. However, the tabling may end up being several months instead of one month.

Also, you are a subject matter expert and I'm just an applicant. I'm pretty sure you have a better understanding of what is happening. ;)