• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newest Addition to Arsenal

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
lefty1.jpg

:icon_smil :icon_smil

Lawman

None
I dont think theres a handgun out there that wears Stainless better then a 1911.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
...Is that the one you were putting together?/QUOTE]

Yeah, but looks like I put it together backwards, with slide stop, mag release and thumb safety on wrong side. Also looks like I kinda forgot to install the ejection port as well. :eek:

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I remember that was because you were looking to build a true left hander...

Lawman

None

Yeah, but looks like I put it together backwards, with slide stop, mag release and thumb safety on wrong side. Also looks like I kinda forgot to install the ejection port as well. :eek:

Chief, what did that end up running you as far as time/money/headache. The single reason I dont own a 1911 is because Im a left hander.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Chief, what did that end up running you as far as time/money/headache. The single reason I dont own a 1911 is because Im a left hander.

No end in sight. I paid $500 for a barrel, found it had a hairline crack in linkage area, hope I can find another, second hope is I get my $$ back, which I am sure I can as it was sold as a NOS barrel. I kinda screwed up the ejector I had, cannot find another one, think I can make my mine work. Sear spring in condition not to write home about, cannot find a replacement, think I have worked around that.

Worst case I compromise :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage and put a right hand barrel with counter clockwise twist. Gosh I hate to do things half arsed.:(

Am in the hole just over 2 grand, which includes a "tuned" trigger set which includes "Hammer, trigger, dis-connect, sear", around 3 pound pull, Very smooth.

Headaches? Nah, it is fun. Really, cannot let small things get you down.

Related: I talked to Dlask in Canada, they said they ""hope"" to have a left handed model for the market at about US $1,800. Planning is for the fall. Did not sound convincing. I am scheduled to visit Kimber next month, going to bring up the subject with them, who know?

Lawman

None
Im not holding my breath. Stag Arms doesnt seem to be cleaning up well enough with the whole Left handed AR that anybody has followed suit so whoever is pushing for an lefty 1911 is probably a minority as far as the big companys are concerned. Sucks too, I know quite a few left handed shooters that would buy up a left handed 1911 if it wasnt 3 times the price of a right hander.

pdx

HSM Pilot

Wow, so that isn't just a flipped photo? Who knew such things were possible.

For a poor man's left hander, there is always the ambi safety modification. Cheap and easy.

Attachments

• Ambi Safety.jpg
    Ambi Safety.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 49

pdx

HSM Pilot
Won't that throw brass in or close to your face?

It isn't too bad. It won't eject brass in your face, but depending on your stance, it can get close.

I am not a true lefty, however. Normally, I shoot righty. I only shoot lefty when I'm shooting from behind a left handed barrier. The worst is that sometimes the brass will hit the wall and bounce somewhere fun.

It was shown to me by a friend, and it seemed comfortable enough for me to try it out. Now I like it, and I'm getting better at it. My accuracy is about 85% of what it is on the right side. It doesn't really matter in a competition, because they don't score you on how well you utilize your cover. All they want is for you to keep your feet behind a certain line, even if it means your head and shoulder are hanging out. (Note: IDPA is the only competitive organization I have ever shot with.)

Hopefully, this will be a wasted skill, and I'll never use it. It is fun to practice, though.