• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new to this whole thing/Flying in the military

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok so i am new to this whole thing and i don't quite understand it yet.

Anyways I am looking to join the military becasue I would like to be a fighter pilot. Just out of curiousity, what branch of service would you guys recommend?? Any help or advice would be appreciated...:)

I would say Army then. Joking aside, at this point and time, it isn't important. What's important is the work required to get into the program. Getting into a fighter slot is dealt with once one finds him/herself in the flight training pipeline. However, if one really wants fighters and nothing else, then go ANG. Apply to a unit that has fighters and if they accept you (usually 2 UPT slots a year), then if you make the grade in flight school, you will fly fighters for that unit. Otherwise, there is no gaurantee in any service of flying fighters.

robav8r

None
Contributor
relax man...I'm just looking for some information and its a hell of a lot easier for people to answer my questions personally than me read other peoples answers.

YGTBSM - secure your scupper and do your homework. Oh, and trust me, I'm very relaxed !!!

K-Dub1220

I would say Army then. Joking aside, at this point and time, it isn't important. What's important is the work required to get into the program. Getting into a fighter slot is dealt with once one finds him/herself in the flight training pipeline. However, if one really wants fighters and nothing else, then go ANG. Apply to a unit that has fighters and if they accept you (usually 2 UPT slots a year), then if you make the grade in flight school, you will fly fighters for that unit. Otherwise, there is no gaurantee in any service of flying fighters.

Well not necessarily fighter. It is what I want to do, but I'm not goig to focus jsut in that one area

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well not necessarily fighter. It is what I want to do, but I'm not goig to focus jsut in that one area

Well, the only way to ensure fighters and then again, if you don't have the ability to make the cut it won't happen anyway....is ANG. Put a goal out there, keep it in focus and it should help you get through what you have to.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
haha yea girl and proud!!

so do/did you go to VMI??? because I have been looking into applying there

You too?! lol! :D

I'm still 17, so I'm a senior in HS. I'm thinking hard about VMI though since I already received my conditional appointment to VMI. I just need to see now if I am going to be awarded a 4-yr NROTC scholarship there.

VMI is tres cool. I was just there for a VMI weekend. It was simply awesome. I recommend this to anyone considering VMI. It's totally free and they feed/board you overnight.
http://www.vmi.edu/Admissions.aspx?id=7189&rsm=7115&ekmensel=fb5d653b_20_315_7189_2

The next two VMI weekends (March 7-8, April 18-19) are mainly for high school juniors since most of the seniors will have already made up their mind by then where they are heading. The one I just got back from was about 70% seniors and 30% juniors.

If you do go visit VMI, definitely look for CAPT Jackie Tugman. She is in the admissions office there and was one of the first women to graduate from VMI herself in 2002. She organizes a special session for prospective girl cadets. I missed it myself because I didn't open the special invitation envelope until the session was over. :(

By the way, I'm in NJROTC myself! :captain_1

K-Dub1220

You too?! lol! :D

I'm still 17, so I'm a senior in HS. I'm thinking hard about VMI though since I already received my conditional appointment to VMI. I just need to see now if I am going to be awarded a 4-yr NROTC scholarship there.

VMI is tres cool. I was just there for a VMI weekend. It was simply awesome. I recommend this to anyone considering VMI.
http://www.vmi.edu/Admissions.aspx?id=7189&rsm=7115&ekmensel=fb5d653b_20_315_7189_2

The next two VMI weekends (March 7-8, April 18-19) are mainly for high school juniors since most of the seniors will have already made up their mind by then where they are heading. The one I just back from was about 70% seniors and 30% juniors.

If you do go visit VMI, definitely look for CAPT Jackie Tugman. She is in the admissions office there and was one of the first women to graduate from VMI herself in 2002. She organizes a special session for prospective girl cadets. I missed it myself because I didn't open the special invitation envelope until the session was over. :(

By the way, I'm in NJROTC myself! :captain_1

Really thats awesome...yea I'm still a junior but I'm trying to get everything done over the summer so I don't have to worry about it senior year. For the whole VMI weekend things by invitation or just show up?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
relax man...I'm just looking for some information and its a hell of a lot easier for people to answer my questions personally than me read other peoples answers.

It's a lot easier for us to just ignore your posts altogether, too. What you need to understand is that joining the military and working towards earning a commission (let's not even get into the aviation part yet) isn't just something that's awarded to you because you think it's cool. A HUGE part of the equation is personal initiative, and asking a bunch of people on the internets what they think because it's "easier," especially when there's already tons of good info posted, is the opposite of initiative.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Really thats awesome...yea I'm still a junior but I'm trying to get everything done over the summer so I don't have to worry about it senior year. For the whole VMI weekend things by invitation or just show up?

Yeah. You definitely should try to get it done before your senior year. Your chance will be so much better than waiting until the last minute. :)

You have to sign up for the weekend thing online. I called the admission office about it, and they still made me sign up online. Here is the link to the signup place:
http://www1.vmi.edu/test/Admissions_OpenHouse.asp

By the way, it's a pretty large event. This one I got back from had about 100 prospective cadets and maybe 150 parents attending. That actually made it more fun - to compare notes with other prospective cadets. Also, Friday night, I got boarded in a room in the VMI barracks with some current 4th class girl cadets, so I got a chance to hear their perspective of being a cadet at VMI.

K-Dub1220

It's a lot easier for us to just ignore your posts altogether, too. What you need to understand is that joining the military and working towards earning a commission (let's not even get into the aviation part yet) isn't just something that's awarded to you because you think it's cool. A HUGE part of the equation is personal initiative, and asking a bunch of people on the internets what they think because it's "easier," especially when there's already tons of good info posted, is the opposite of initiative.

I understand what you are saying and I agree completely. I was just looking for some firsthand accounts at what would be the best. I have beeen doing my own part myself. I have talked to recruiters, my SMI, MI and done plenty of researched on the Navy and Marines. I am just looking for other peoples opinions on how they accomplished their goal and what they would recommend.