• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New PT Uniform

Bevo16

pilot
I would love to see JO's get more involved in the PT leadeship process.

Every Naval Academy graduate has played either Varsity or Intramural sports and many of the ROTC and OCS officers have athletic backgrounds as well. In my squadron, 12 of the 20 junior officers were varsity athletes in college. We should put that knowledge base to use.

Having a "Uniform" for PT is a good thing. I wish that there would be some kind of instruction that group PT "shall" be done in this uniform. It is just the first step in getting down the road of being serious about PT. Get the word out that showing up for PT in cut-offs and an old work undershirt is not going to be tolerated anymore.

I also wish that the Navy had been a little more industrious in it's search for a clothing provider. I am sure that they wanted to get the cheapest shirt possible, but instead of going for a lowest bidder they should have gone for a sponsor. Companies like Nike, Adidas, and Reebok shell out tons of money to sponsor college and pro athletic teams. I am sure that one of these providers would have been interested in being the "Offical Sponsor of Navy Fitness". Just being able to market themselves as "military friendly" would be worth millions. The sales for every sailor to buy 2 shirts and 2 shorts would be worth millions as well. Trade the sponsorship for a price break, and everyone wins and we get higher quality gear in the deal.

penderwt

yut king
Since you're new to the game, I'll bring you up to speed.

The USMC, the service that has been running around in little green nut-huggers for the past umpteen years, does not get to call anyone else's PT gear gay. That would be like accusing the rest of us of having unfashionably short hair or too large a collection of polo shirts and jean shorts.

Carry on, smartly.

Aye aye, sir.

006012NavyRestStop.jpg

Lawman

None
I also wish that the Navy had been a little more industrious in it's search for a clothing provider. I am sure that they wanted to get the cheapest shirt possible, but instead of going for a lowest bidder they should have gone for a sponsor. Companies like Nike, Adidas, and Reebok shell out tons of money to sponsor college and pro athletic teams. I am sure that one of these providers would have been interested in being the "Offical Sponsor of Navy Fitness". Just being able to market themselves as "military friendly" would be worth millions. The sales for every sailor to buy 2 shirts and 2 shorts would be worth millions as well. Trade the sponsorship for a price break, and everyone wins and we get higher quality gear in the deal.

I believe there is an actual regulation preventing this. Apparently its the same reason your not supposed to wear underarmor with a logo on it.

lmnop

Having a "Uniform" for PT is a good thing. I wish that there would be some kind of instruction that group PT "shall" be done in this uniform. It is just the first step in getting down the road of being serious about PT. Get the word out that showing up for PT in cut-offs and an old work undershirt is not going to be tolerated anymore.

I disagree. The first step in getting serious about PT is getting out and actually doing some real PT which may involve exertion and discomfort. The commands out there that are in the best physical shape have managed to get that way without the beacon of this PT uniform to guide them.

I've seen many commands that seem to think they are doing the right thing by doing a circle jerk PT, that is mostly stretching, followed by a formation run at a 10:00+ pace. Incidentally, most of these commands were very uniform in their PT attire. Unless we change the way PT is emphasized, raise our standards, and adhere to those standards, all this uniform is going to get us is a bunch of fat people with the same yellow shirt.

navy_or_bust

I have been taking some army rotc classes. I am not so sure of the structure of the navy but in the army O1's lead pt for their platoons which sounds like it has many advantages. First as an O1 if you can out pt every enlisted person in your command you are able to earn some respect. Also every enlisted person will try to out pt their officer. I guess the first step for the Navy is to have organized pt but I think it is a good concept.

MiG15

pilot
None
Since you're new to the game, I'll bring you up to speed.

The USMC, the service that has been running around in little green nut-huggers for the past umpteen years, does not get to call anyone else's PT gear gay. That would be like accusing the rest of us of having unfashionably short hair or too large a collection of polo shirts and jean shorts.

Carry on, smartly.

Hysterical!!! I believe they are also referred to as Jorts.:D

Bevo16

pilot
I disagree. The first step in getting serious about PT is getting out and actually doing some real PT which may involve exertion and discomfort.

You put a lot of thought into that, didn't you? Your way of thinking is EXACTLY the problem. You may not need to be motivated by your command to go out and PT, but a large majority of our sailors do. Actual leadership involves finding ways to motivate people. Having a group of fat people show up at the ball fields at 0600 looking like a yard sale threw up on them does not exactly get the juices flowing. When you look like you are part of a team, you are going to perform better. It's not the answer, but it's a start.

I've seen many commands that seem to think they are doing the right thing by doing a circle jerk PT, that is mostly stretching, followed by a formation run at a 10:00+ pace. Incidentally, most of these commands were very uniform in their PT attire. Unless we change the way PT is emphasized, raise our standards, and adhere to those standards, all this uniform is going to get us is a bunch of fat people with the same yellow shirt.

Nobody hates flutter kicks in the morning dew and the shin splint shuffle more than me. Commands that do that kind of PT may not be acing the PRT, but at least they have cracked the code for organization and motivation. That's the biggest part of the riddle.

Getting motivated junior officers with fresh ideas and valuable fitness knowledge is the second part. You and I may know that there are a lot better ways to get a workout than doing the stupid "standard Navy PT" that we all know and hate, but that is not fixing the problem. The people in charge of the PT simply do not know how to administer proper training. That has to change.

No, a yellow shirt is not going to fix the problem. Neither is saying "Just go PT dude. Do it till it hurts." It's about leadership, team building, motivation and proper training.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Getting motivated junior officers with fresh ideas and valuable fitness knowledge is the second part. You and I may know that there are a lot better ways to get a workout than doing the stupid "standard Navy PT" that we all know and hate, but that is not fixing the problem. The people in charge of the PT simply do not know how to administer proper training. That has to change.

No, a yellow shirt is not going to fix the problem. Neither is saying "Just go PT dude. Do it till it hurts." It's about leadership, team building, motivation and proper training.

I hate to pull the "well in NROTC we do...", and my apologies for doing so, but these words sparked something in me I've been thinking about for some time. Our PTO is on a run/pushups/abs routine that he loves. Don't get me wrong, I'm game for a good workout, but the same sprints followed by the same 500 pushups by the same 500 situps is a waste of time IMO. I think there's a huge difference between being PRTable and being "fit".

I played some extremely high caliber ice hockey, so I'm definitely taking a different (and maybe wrong) approach to fitness. Obviously an hour of NROTC PT isn't going to rival DivI athletic training, but in all honesty, the biggest workout I've gotten since my time in college has been a killer floor hockey game. It's very tough for me (and I'm pretty sure everyone else) to get motarded for PT when we're doing the same routine that doesn't seem to be producing results, especially when I know so many PT options that get people pumped and pushing themselves, and at the same time works the intangibles of teamwork and comraderie that are equally as crucial.

Just my .02

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I hate to pull the "well in NROTC we do...", and my apologies for doing so, but these words sparked something in me I've been thinking about for some time. Our PTO is on a run/pushups/abs routine that he loves. Don't get me wrong, I'm game for a good workout, but the same sprints followed by the same 500 pushups by the same 500 situps is a waste of time IMO. I think there's a huge difference between being PRTable and being "fit".

I played some extremely high caliber ice hockey, so I'm definitely taking a different (and maybe wrong) approach to fitness. Obviously an hour of NROTC PT isn't going to rival DivI athletic training, but in all honesty, the biggest workout I've gotten since my time in college has been a killer floor hockey game. It's very tough for me (and I'm pretty sure everyone else) to get motarded for PT when we're doing the same routine that doesn't seem to be producing results, especially when I know so many PT options that get people pumped and pushing themselves, and at the same time works the intangibles of teamwork and comraderie that are equally as crucial.

Just my .02

Somebody notify the moto police...We have a class III free thinker over here.

See, here's the two problems BBH. 1) Especially at a place like NROTC, the PRT is the goal. So doing PRT exercises ad nauseum would appear to be the proper training to accomplish the goal. This happens in the real world at units that don't need to worry about their fitness except for their biannual fitness test. It happens in the Marine Corps, too.

2) Think about your PTOs background. Is he a guy that just happened to get fit without having any experience with team workouts? He's probably doing exactly what he thinks is right without knowing any better. Are you graduating? Put in your next billet request with PTO at the top.

lmnop

You put a lot of thought into that, didn't you?

No, was it that obvious? I don't think it's something that requires that much thought. If you actually set a meaningful standard, and hold people to that standard, you may be surprised at what they can accomplish.

Your way of thinking is EXACTLY the problem. You may not need to be motivated by your command to go out and PT, but a large majority of our sailors do. Actual leadership involves finding ways to motivate people.
Perhaps I am part of the problem. What I meant by getting out and doing actual PT, was getting out as a command. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. By and large, people don't want to be the non-hacker of the group. If you have a CFL that's worth a shit, they should be able to put a decent program together.

Bevo16

pilot
You have it all figured out. Just throw the guys that are having problems in with a bunch of high achievers. They will just get motivated by osmosis and shame, and all of the Navy's PT problems will be solved. Why didn't anyone think of this solution before?