• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Uniforms Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:
The Army, Air Force and Marines do not worry if they need to stop at a corner store or gas station or anywhere else on the way home.

The Marine Corps has fairly specific restrictions on wearing Cammies or the Bag off base under normal circumstances (excluding dog & pony show stuff)

GTIGirlVR6

I think this new option is GREAT for enlisted...I mean utilities SUCK...and at least 50% were too lazy to use an iron, which made the uniforms look even worse. Not to mention...how many of you have tried to pack a seabag with ALL the uniforms you need for an inspection (cause I garuntee you will have one) and STILL have room either in your bag or in your rack for the $hit you'll actually need for 6 months on a boat?? Not to mention, the old uniforms definitely looked like janiotr uniforms, and were sooo cheaply made that the tore ALL the time! I am really hoping these more practical uniforms come into common use. I however wish that they wouldn't touch the Officer khaki or aviation green, they were nice "distinguished" uniforms that are always nice to have in the arsenal. Thats just my $ .02

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Streamline, streamline, streamline. Extra/different uniforms in the seabag equals less room for my PS2.

In the midst of a seabag pack now, and since I can't get a straight answer from my sponsers, I am subject to packing 2 different sets of mess dress, SDBs, whites, chokers, khakis, and of course 3 different pairs of shoes to go with them (the dress sh!t is for all the grip and grins I'll be doing my first month at my next command). All in addition to flight gear. I love aviation greens and dress khakis as much as the next guy, but the less crap I have to shove into a bag, the better.

Khakis going away (if it happens), will be a sad day, but we'll all get over it. Hopefully the change will last and guys won't have to buy all new uniforms in 5 years.

Rainman

pilot
hey GM how's the lawyering going? my bust. . completely forgot about AWGs. .Thought they went by the wayside like Marine Dress Whites . . AWGs are a nice lookin setup. . for me the less I have to own . the better.

trongod46

pilot
you silly sailors crack me up, come on now, blue cammies you have got to be kiddin me, and i quoute from the navy website, the new colors will allow a seamen to spill paint on the uniform and not ruin, im a Sgt in the marines and im just laughin at how {my opinion} stupid those blue cammies look. nothing as funny as seein sailors trying to march in dungarees anyway. what are they trying to blend in with the water when they fall in?

Mcaf

Yup, as prior E, the new unis are cool. Just watch Shawshank Redemption and you'll see why we hated the dungs (I got discharged to ROTC before the utilities came in but they don't look any better). I'd stop to get gas (only thing you do so off base in them) and feel like an escaped convict from the 40's.

I believe the uniform change is coming from the junior enlisted. I remember how jealous everyone was that Seabees could wear BDU's and the flight deck crew could wear the BDU pants. You gotta remember these kids aren't getting paid very well, and every little bit of moral boost helps. BDU's will help the younger guys feel like they are actually war-fighters rather than "janitors" or "prisoners". Now a sailor can step out of his car and know that he'd be recognized as a member of the military rather than being met with blank stairs. This is especially true in areas such as Balston Spa, NY and Athens, Ga where there isn't a larger military presence.

What I'm really getting at is I don't really care what they tell me to wear because I know my job will be to fly a multimillion dollar aircraft and lead a division of sailors, life is good. So if the guy who has to clean the smelly stinky dirty disgusting bilges everyday for 6 months wants BDUs and I have to wear them because of that, I'll gladly wear them.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
dtirey said:
So, since you wear Khaki's that makes you a leader?
Well said -- good point.

dtirey said:
My main question is will we get a special allowance as officers for the new uniforms?
No. At least that didn't happen when they made coveralls a required uniform four years ago or so.

dtirey said:
Will these new uniforms be issued to NROTC units prior to May?
No. The wear-test period will likely be at least a year to cover all four seasons and a full deployment cycle. Then all the uniform gurus will have argue for months and months about which "options" to go with.

rainman said:
hey GM how's the lawyering going?
Justice is swift! How is flying going?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a CO that wore the AWG and they are truly awesome. Yes, the dress khaki uniform would be nice to see back in the fleet.

h16.jpg

To answer DTIREY, wearing khaki's does not make you a leader, but it makes it easier to IDENTIFY those in leadership roles. And NO, the Navy will not give you any money to get the new uniforms. The NROTC is at the bottom of the food chain....Heck, you'll be a LT before the NROTC even sees those uniforms.

Here's a Navy uniform we can get rid of: Tropical Whites
o027.jpg

ea6bflyr

jacksonwt2g

I liked the old dungarees...those cheap denim pants got so soft and comfortable after a few weeks, and there is something cool about wearing the same uniform as the gnarly old sailors of WWII. That being said (and those being long gone) the utilities that replaced them NEED to change. I was so relieved the day I got my acceptance letter to an officer program and didn't have to buy those pieces of garbage. I think that the only other uniform I would have been happy with would have been cammies. I always thought we should wear them so that we would feel like we were in the military, but blue BDUs are pretty lame. They should go with green or even urban gray.

There will always be a disagreement between those sailors that are proud of their uniforms and want to look good and those that just want comfortable, easy to maintain uniforms. With all our space-age materials and nerdy engineers, you'd think we could find a uniform that is both. Hopefully, that is what this will be.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
It seems to me that all of the prior enlisted on this board (myself included) are in favor, and even like, the new uniform. My personal opinion is that this should be one of the main concernes of most people on this forum (assuming most are either officers or are trying to become officers.) The majority of people in the Navy are enlisted, and they do the most manual labor. Thus, the "working" uniform should be designed with their needs being addressed most prominently. As far as losing the khakis... While it was great to put them on for the first time, it is not the color of the uniform that determines the quality of the leader. Your sailors will know whether you are a true leader or not regardless of what uniform you happen to be wearing. As far was the looks of the new uniform, it was designed using input from the fleet (so if you didn't take the survey, DON'T COMPLAIN!!!) I too, at first, didn't care for the idea of blue and grey, but their reasoning makes sense. One little spot of haze gray on an all blue uniform ruins it. I guess I have gone on long enough here, but I hope that my main point was evident. That is, that the concerns of those who we (Naval Officers) lead are those we should be concerned with, not our own desires.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two possible answers:

First: The Eagles on his collar should be parallel to the inside edge of his collar because he is wearing a long sleeve shirt BUT because it is the Cammie Uniform, that's the way the Eagles fly.

or

Second: IP on his left trouser leg. :)

Grandmaster235 said:
Thanks, ea6bflyr, for tracking down the best pic of the Aviation Working Green Uniform. It looks even better with the garrison cover though.

OK, quiz for all the uniform geeks out there. The "Captain" model on the right in this picture (http://news.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/041018-N-0000X-001.jpg) is out of uniform. An official GM235 no-prize goes to the first poster who can identify why.

Status
Not open for further replies.