• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Uniforms Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
all this after making fun of the air farce all that time for their new uniforms. damn i feel like a hypocrite.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you guys think about these? I think they look too much like the new AF uniforms that rare21 mentioned.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually I think they look sharp compared to the AF ones which look ridiculous. But I'm still torn. Why the heck do we have to wear BDUs when we aren't in the mud?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
oops

Wow, I actually went and looked at the new AF stuff. If this :eek: is what they are thinking then I definitely like the Navy ones a whole lot more. I should have looked at the AF uniforms before I said the Navy ones looked too much like them.

I agree about the whole "why do we need BDU's?" question... but from the article I figure that they expect these new uniforms to require less maintenance (ironing) and will hide stains better. As long as they don't replace flight suits I guess I don't have anything to really complain about. But still, what's wrong with traditionally colored BDU's?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
look too much like the Air Farce stuff to me. Or at least in some way copying the AF decision to make new uniforms. Now sailors can pretty much "disappear" while doing nothing in front of a bulkhead.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
ben said:
But still, what's wrong with traditionally colored BDU's?

Organization psychology...

The recent trend in uniforms is to develop utility dress that is distinctive to the individual service branch. Presumably the goal is to promote pride and esprit de corps, and also to make it easier to tell who's who in the zoo. For example, a couple of years ago if you saw a servicemember in cammies from a distance, you wouldn't know for sure what branch they were in until you were close enough to read the name tape. They could have been from any of the five branches, depending on thier occupational specialty.

Although this trend toward branch distinction flies in the face of the whole "one team, one fight" joint ops concept, each branch at heart is driven by its instincts for self-preservation (like any organization or organism), and each dreads the ultimate melding of services into one force (which would arguably be better and more efficient - not that I necessarily support or oppose that argument).

For example, the marines recently rolled out the digital cammies, and the Coast Guard recently adopted all-blue BDUs as a working uniform, except with the blouse tucked in (like the USAF test tiger-stripe jammies).

If the USN and USAF test uniforms are eventually implemented (neither is guaranteed), then each branch would have its own unique utility dress. The army would be the only branch with the old-school cammies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Luckily we don't have to wear that. That new Army uniform is NAAASSTY. Yeesh . . .

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wow....i think the Navy may be the new leaders in the race to the most fagged out uniform.... slightly edging out the AF and Army

congrats

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I could be wrong (if I am I'm sure I'll here about it), but I presume that most people commenting on these new uniforms have never had the pleasure of wearing dungarees (or more recently called 'utilities.') For those of us that have, I think (I guess I can only speak for myself) that the new uniforms are a pretty huge improvement. Going to work looking like a gas station attendent does nothing for moral. Also, the old utilities (not the old dungarees) are very uncomfortable. Honestly, I would have been satisfied going back to the old style dungarees, but I do like the new NWU. For those that still think that they are nasty, just think about the guys who are required to wear utilities; these will be a huge improvment for them. Most people on this forum shouldn't even need to wear them anyway.

-OC Scam

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Scamahmrd said:
I could be wrong (if I am I'm sure I'll here about it), but I presume that most people commenting on these new uniforms have never had the pleasure of wearing dungarees (or more recently called 'utilities.') For those of us that have, I think (I guess I can only speak for myself) that the new uniforms are a pretty huge improvement. Going to work looking like a gas station attendent does nothing for moral. Also, the old utilities (not the old dungarees) are very uncomfortable. Honestly, I would have been satisfied going back to the old style dungarees, but I do like the new NWU. For those that still think that they are nasty, just think about the guys who are required to wear utilities; these will be a huge improvment for them. Most people on this forum shouldn't even need to wear them anyway.

-OC Scam

I wore my old dungarees until the very last day...call me crazy, but I miss my bell bottoms! I've been wearing BDU's for over a year now (new job) and I have to admit they are alot easier to maintain than utilities (new dungarees), and they have a lot more room as far as pockets go. After seeing the new marine BDU's enough, O actually like them now....

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
squeeze said:
wow....i think the Navy may be the new leaders in the race to the most fagged out uniform.... slightly edging out the AF and Army

congrats

You've got to be kidding me!

You think this NAVY concept:
FL_navy_101804.jpg

Is worse then this Army Concept??:
ACU2004-06-14.jpg

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
squeeze said:

congrats

I don't know, the marine cammies look like someone got drunk and played with MS Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.