• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Uniforms Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
this is a waste of money. the Navy has enough uniforms to fill a closet.

Rainman

pilot
I guess that's partly the point why service seven different working uniforms:

"The Navy Working Uniform is being designed to take the place of utilities, wash khaki, coveralls, woodland green, aviation green, winter working blue and tropical working uniforms. The normal wear life is designed to last up to 18 months, compared to the current wear life of six months for the working uniform."

R

RickyDT34

What's up with the Optional "no-shine" boots. If I have to wear that I am getting out. I will go back to wearing wrestling masks and my pot belly.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i SERIOUSLY doubt that that uniform will take up all those uniforms. I bet this was the idea of many of the uniform designs that came out in the past. But guess what? didnt happen.

Rainman

pilot
they mean that the new uniform if/when approved will be worn in lieu of the aviation green uniform worn by plane captains and others. That's the theory anyways.

Rest assured there aren't any proposals on the table for aircrew flight suits.

thundersquid

pilot
From a prior enlisted standpoint, I wish they had these uniforms 10 years ago. I could have hauled around way more tools with all these pockets.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
olpa9901 said:
so when they say it will take the place of aviation green, what does that mean????
Rainman said:
they mean that the new uniform if/when approved will be worn in lieu of the aviation green uniform worn by plane captains and others.
No. This is the Aviation Working Green uniform: http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/chap3_3237.html. Even though this picture is black & white, the uniform is green, with a khaki shirt and black tie. And of course brown shoes. There are black stripes on the sleeve cuffs to indicate rank (just like the gold stripes on SDBs). There is also a green garrison cover that most people wear instead of the combo cover. Often the leather flight jacket is worn instead of the green blouse.

It will actually be a shame to see this one go, because it was a "working" uniform in name only. In reality, AWG was more like a service uniform without ribbons that you could wear in office or non-dirty-work jobs. The NWU wouldn't really "replace" AWG in that respect. I never owned this uniform (it's completely optional) but I have seen it worn several times by pilots (LCDR and above) and also a CPO, and it looks really great. Another fine aviation tradition is dying.

As regards the other six uniforms (utes, blue coveralls, washed khakis, WWB, trops, and woodland cammie), the NWU is arguably a good trade.

The green coveralls that Rainman mentions are not a uniform. They are considered "organizational clothing" like a flight suit.

The real question (of interest to most AW readers) is this: If the NWU ultimately replaces the washed khakis, then what will Officer Candidates wear during the time between Indoc and Candidate Officer phase?????? Hmmm...

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
What if you go overboard in the new BDU's? Seriously, it seems to me that the only place where these'd provide really good camoflage is when you are treading water and yelling at the aft lookout to toss you the ring. Well, maybe if you're trying to hide in a glacier, too.

And that Army uniform has got the be the gayest thing I've ever seen. Is it for new PC wars? Disable them with laughter?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I love how on the Army one, the rank insignia is velcroed on like everything else. There's a morale booster for ya. ;)

Dunedan said:
What if you go overboard in the new BDU's? Seriously, it seems to me that the only place where these'd provide really good camoflage is when you are treading water and yelling at the aft lookout to toss you the ring. Well, maybe if you're trying to hide in a glacier, too.

And that Army uniform has got the be the gayest thing I've ever seen. Is it for new PC wars? Disable them with laughter?

Have to kinda agree.

I'm almost positive I'm missing something else here, but I'd always figure that most sailors would WANT to be visible, not blend in.
And the SEALs/EOD/Seabee combat types should have their own uniforms.

Hopefully, somebody can clear that up.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You young pups have likely never seen aviation greens. Maybe someone will post a picture of it for you. It is a great old style traditional uniform for aviation officers only. Looks very similar the USMC green blouse, khaki pants and shirt with a tie. What was nice besides the look, was the soft cover (green piss cutter) and the fact you could shed the blouse indoors and still have collar devices for identification. It wasn't a liberty uniform though. All in all pretty dressed up for a working uniform, but was uniquely aviation and good for office or staff work. How about dress khaki? That was before my time but I have always liked them as well. They started as a aviation only uniform and during WWII was authorized for all officers. As to the new working uniform, they should just stick with the current BDU. With everyone changing to something else the Navy would have a defacto unique look for a lot less money.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
I realize that this is just the girl in me, but does anyone else wonder that they're spending money on new BDUs with a dozen different options and colors and patterns and pockets and bells and whistles - and the women's uniforms still look like meter maids?

Status
Not open for further replies.