• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New IP vs. Experienced IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm getting to old to learn all this new sh!t... So @ MIF = Average???
Not really. As I understand it, you're expected to start each block at the MIF for the previous one, then work your way up to meet, or preferably exceed, MIF by the end of that block of training.

That said, if you just do the minimum to get by, it's equivalent to the guy who just barely dodges end-of-stage/phase marginals all day long.

I'd say it's more convoluted, but given that under the old system, "average" was never really "average," it's really just a different kind of smoke and mirrors.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This is all anecdotal:

New IPs=a shorter leash; younger guys with more current gouge on fleet life. Older IPs, especially reservists are usually laid back with a really good handle on teaching studs how to not make the same mistakes over and over again. Some took a pretty big picture view of things (you got us a little negative on that spin recovery...next time try this...we'll do it again and see how it goes vice WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING MONGO, I'M FLOATING BACK HERE as an unsecured checklist flies past my head).

I preferred flying with Old Guys at Vance, because they tended to be more laid back and the more comfortable I am the better I fly. Everyone was pretty laid back at Vance, some were just grade hammers more than others.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No problem...above average for headwork...
As you seem to know, all is fair in love...and getting your wings...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Myself another member of this forum (whom I will leave unnamed unless he chooses to chime in) were onwings #2 and #1 (respectively) for a brand new primary VT IP. Great guy, really motivated, helped me a lot and taught me well. It was also apparent after flying with other folks that his comfort level for my rookie mistakes was lower than the more seasoned guys. He also didn't quite know what grades on the MPTS scale equated to average, above, below etc....I only know this because he told us later on. But if you are sweating having a new guy because of that last reason I listed, don't. Luck/timing and persistent hard work will have far more of an effect on your grades and selection than your on-wing. Learn from him/her everything you can and consider yourself lucky to have someone who is new and motivated to help you succeed and improve. All that said, both said other student and myself both were lucky enough to get our #1 choices out of primary, so although I kind of sweated this for a while in primary, it all worked out in the end. Hope that helps!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I asked to see if there was a difference. Every piece of info counts and I appreciate those that were able to provide some comments from their experiences.

Common sense dictates there is a difference and I'm still not sure why one would want to know?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I asked to see if there was a difference. Every piece of info counts and I appreciate those that were able to provide some comments from their experiences.

There is. You won't be able to tell, however, because you'll know your $hit for the flight and too worried about your altitude and airspeed.

From an IPs perspective --- the big thing is IP comfort. An experienced IP will allow you deviate more from standards and offer more advice on how to correct. Which could be good (more tools for your bag) or bad (gasoline for an already large helmet fire).

Either way --- it'll be transparent to the SNA and (s)he shouldn't worry about it.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
When I was a brand new instructor (obviously not an IP) I pretty much gave straight "averages" for every event for the first couple of months because I had no basis for what was above or below average. That's one thing you could look for in a new IP. When I looked back on it, I realized that I screwed some guys and helped out some others. But, it was my way of figuring out what the basis was.

I also found that I was trying to teach them everything I learned in the fleet on every single event and was overloading these kids. It takes time to learn these things.

My $.02 from a former NFO. Back to my nerdery, now.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Experienced IP- pretty good at challenging every individual student but stopping short of igniting or fanning a helmet fire.

New IP- usually... :D

Flugelman

Contributor
Sergrad

Back in '80 - '82 E8s and E9s stood the Wing Ops Duty Officer watches. (I guess there was a shortage of Officer watchstanders at the time.)

One night I had stopped by the tower to see how things were going and a SERGRAD IP declared an emergency on the runway during takeoff in a T-28. Turns out it was his first night takeoff from the back seat and the different visual angle on the flame pattern of the exhaust spooked him. He thought it was an engine fire and reacted.

Gotta love those old round engines...:D

Another time, (why did it have to happen on my watch?:confused:), the new IP neglected to check that the Stud had adjusted the rudder pedals so that he couldn't lock his knee at full extension.

Stud's first takeoff in T-28, full right rudder, and off in the grass they go. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.