• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New GI Bill

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
That was before they had the kicker, and in conjunction with TA, and FRAG. When I used TA it was like 12 credits a year or something, which equaled 4 non technical classes. At the time if I got out and only used my GI BILL it would not have covered what all 3 of those programs combined on Active Duty covered. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that at extended campus 2 classes(6 credits non technical classes) is considered a full time student, so you get max funds for everything. Not like at main campus where a full time student was 15-20 credits, and you get the same amount of extended campus funds while trying to cover 5 classes.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but the GI bill with the kicker is right around 1,300 a month. So if you only got paid 1000 for every 9 weeks, you are at a net loss of > $1,600, and you have 2 months of the GI bill deducted from your 36. I just don't see where you are coming from.

phrogpilot73

That's because before now that wouldn't have been true.
Not the case. As the former Battalion education officer, I ended up learning quite a bit about the G.I. Bill, as well as the "Kicker" which is also known as the Army/Navy/Marine Corps College fund. If they signed up for the kicker when they enlisted, their G.I. Bill benefits can be up to $72,000. In-state tuition to some very good schools makes it possible. For example, Clemson's instate tuition (to include: tuition, room, board, books, lab fees, and medical fee) is $17,464 per year. Assuming you went through in 4 years, that's $69,856. So yes, if you're signed up for the G.I. Bill + Kicker - then it can pay your tuition.

S.O.B.

pilot
Not the case. As the former Battalion education officer, I ended up learning quite a bit about the G.I. Bill, as well as the "Kicker" which is also known as the Army/Navy/Marine Corps College fund. If they signed up for the kicker when they enlisted, their G.I. Bill benefits can be up to $72,000. In-state tuition to some very good schools makes it possible. For example, Clemson's instate tuition (to include: tuition, room, board, books, lab fees, and medical fee) is $17,464 per year. Assuming you went through in 4 years, that's $69,856. So yes, if you're signed up for the G.I. Bill + Kicker - then it can pay your tuition.

OK but how many have it? I actually have the college fund but I don't think I've heard someone talk about it in the last ten years; I didn't even realize it still existed.

phrogpilot73

OK but how many have it? I actually have the college fund but I don't think I've heard someone talk about it in the last ten years; I didn't even realize it still existed.
Actually quite a number do. I had to counsel every kid getting out, and I'd say maybe 1/3 of them had signed up for the kicker. Truth be told, I can only remember a handful that wanted to use it. I even helped one guy get the "early out" option.

S.O.B.

pilot
Actually quite a number do. I had to counsel every kid getting out, and I'd say maybe 1/3 of them had signed up for the kicker. Truth be told, I can only remember a handful that wanted to use it. I even helped one guy get the "early out" option.

I'm surprised they wouldn't use it. Do you know how you can check to see what your eligible for? I used a few months of mine to augment TA and I'm curious to see what remains.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I'm surprised they wouldn't use it. Do you know how you can check to see what your eligible for? I used a few months of mine to augment TA and I'm curious to see what remains.

The way I understand it is that the current NCF benefits correspond to the amount of GI BILL benefits you have left.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/Education/GIBill/NavyCollegeFundProgam.htm

Entitlement to MGIB Program benefits and the NCF kicker are the same. For example, if you are entitled to 36 months of MGIB Program benefits, you are entitled to 36 months of the NCF monthly kicker. Similarly, if you are entitled to only 15 months of MGIB Program benefits, you will be entitled to only 15 months of your NCF monthly kicker.

You can check your current GI BILL status here.
https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
That link only applies to members currently enrolled and actively receiving benefits in certain categories. Doesn't apply to individuals using it for flight time and other vocational pursuits, and I believe the old Top Up thing for TA. I'm pretty sure you can call the VA though and just ask over the phone or you can always figure out how much you have left by calculating it out. Of course that would probably be a real pain in the ass.

You can check your current GI BILL status here.
https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
That link only applies to members currently enrolled and actively receiving benefits in certain categories. Doesn't apply to individuals using it for flight time and other vocational pursuits, and I believe the old Top Up thing for TA. I'm pretty sure you can call the VA though and just ask over the phone or you can always figure out how much you have left by calculating it out. Of course that would probably be a real pain in the ass.

I am not currently receiving benefits, and I can still check my status. S.O.B. said he used a few months of his, which would make his status and situation similar to mine.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I resend my original statement then to reflect only those who are/or have. I used it for flight training and never saw anything on WAVE. I did find out from the financial aid office at my school that I have something like 26k left. But that doesn't really do me any good right now (thanks to STA-21 rules) unless I can pass it on to my wife.

I am not currently receiving benefits, and I can still check my status. S.O.B. said he used a few months of his, which would make his status and situation similar to mine.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I resend my original statement then to reflect only those who are/or have. I used it for flight training and never saw anything on WAVE. I did find out from the financial aid office at my school that I have something like 26k left. But that doesn't really do me any good right now (thanks to STA-21 rules) unless I can pass it on to my wife.

I would double check the 26K part, GI BILL benefits are calculated in months. The months have a different value between AD, civilian, and the kicker.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps we all need to get at least some agreement in understanding of the program before we can start bashing it.

This thread reminds me of a bunch of Lance Corporals standing around the smoke pit.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Yes, but you can still use it when you are out of STA-21 correct?

CaliStyle

prior enlisted USNA grad

THe 2008 Bill states that people under the old MGIB will be grandfathered into the new GI Bill. It also states that Academy grads will receive the new GI Bill for three years service (minus service obligation time). What if you are prior-enlisted, are eligible for the old MGIB, and graduated from an Academy post 9-11? Do those prior-enlisted Academy grads get the new GI BIll without having to spend an extra 3 years post service obligation?