• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New DCO applicants / or thinking of applying open discussion forum

suppo2010

Hello,

I think this thread is long over due, and I am willing to provide feedback, suggestions even lead the horse to water... I have prepaired for the DCO review board for roughly 1 1/2 yrs, made my own way with 0 help from the recruiters, I see a lot of DCO candidates talking about no help, well I promised myself that I would provide guidence to the best of my ability going forward if I were to get selected and cross over from enlisted to officer, well I was fortunate, I applied twice as enlisted reserve and will finally get my commission in the next 30 days, I have learned more than I could ever imagine along the way, made friends with a retired 07, who I might add provide exceptional guidence and mentorship during my packaging period...you have to be willing to 'kick the door down' that has stuck with me this whole time.... so lets not be bashfull lets get some good talks going hopefully we can prevent more threads of 'crappy recruiter' and start providing some inside track help, this can be beneficial for non prior, prior or even currently serving.... prior enlisted its a uphill battle the whole way, nothing is easy, they find more reasons to say no then yes ... but its the most rewarding honor when you have been accepted into the officer ranks.... I review these threads daily so I look forward to everyones reponses, this thread is also on military.com as well, if your a DCO select or past select please provide any helpfull tips you learned along the way that helped keep your eyes on the prize, this will be extremely beneficial for the next generation of DCO's.....

X

xxxCharliexxx

I as well will be glad to help. Suppo, do you know what the dates are for upcoming boards? That may help us detemine where people are at in the process and what board they are applying to so that pertinent info is shared for that particular community as well. So, good thread, I'll keep my eye on it and be glad to help answer any questions that might pop up.

-Charlie

Intel_warrior

This will be a good thread to lean on for new applicants. Reading the various posts, I too have found a common element in the process. DCO applicants will have to learn to adapt and over-come the challenges they will face, mainly lack of information from recruiters. Applicants should be intelligent and have a strong ability to find solutions to issues at hand. The DCO process definately weeds out those that are intellectually challenged. Learning upfront what is involved in the process, what questions to ask the recruiter, and how to accomplish the various tasks required should help alot of aspiring DCO applicants. BZ for initiating this thread.

3912DCO

Unfortunately the quality control for recruiters is not there and interested candidates need to seek out as many resources as possible. Hopefully those of us who have been (slogged) through the process can be of some help. At a minimum we may be able to guide you to the right questions to ask your recruiter.

I was fortunate that I was deployed with someone who was formerly an officer recruiter who was willing to help me, not just check the box, but make my package the best it could possibly be.

Iceman6291

I'll be more than willing to kick in any help that is needed as well, I have a slightly different viewpoint to offer from some of you that have thus far spoken out (that is if I am reading it correctly) in that I was a non-prior. So same process overall, small things that could be different in the ways that you have to go about doing them. Either way, I'm more than willing to help as I too have suffered from a dearth of information occasionally.

Katymu82

Hi everyone,
I am looking to apply to the DCO program, but as has already been stated have not been able to get anywhere with a recruiter. As a "quick" explaination of my situation, I was medically discharged from OCS Dec 23 09. I had joined the Nov 22 09 class with an IW designator. I injured my shoulder the 4th day, and it slowly got worse. The orthopedist NPQ'ed me because he said it would be 3-6 months to heal, and I couldnt do it in the regiment. I apprently have subluxation of the shoulder joints- fancy talk for unstable or gymnasts joints. The orthopedists said with training I could get back and do a lighter program, but would probably never be able to handle OCS. After talking to the LT and CDR of OCS, they both recommended I go in through the Reserves or DCO- and that they could write recommendations. I already have the TS/SCI and had done the whole app/board for OCS. When I called a recruiter they simply told me if I was medically discharged from OCS I couldnt be in the military period- which I know isnt true. I really REALLY want to an intel or IW officer, and have worked very hard, and am willing to continue to do so. Anyone have any suggestions? Also I am a non-prior.

SWCC18

Hi everyone,
I am looking to apply to the DCO program, but as has already been stated have not been able to get anywhere with a recruiter. As a "quick" explaination of my situation, I was medically discharged from OCS Dec 23 09. I had joined the Nov 22 09 class with an IW designator. I injured my shoulder the 4th day, and it slowly got worse. The orthopedist NPQ'ed me because he said it would be 3-6 months to heal, and I couldnt do it in the regiment. I apprently have subluxation of the shoulder joints- fancy talk for unstable or gymnasts joints. The orthopedists said with training I could get back and do a lighter program, but would probably never be able to handle OCS. After talking to the LT and CDR of OCS, they both recommended I go in through the Reserves or DCO- and that they could write recommendations. I already have the TS/SCI and had done the whole app/board for OCS. When I called a recruiter they simply told me if I was medically discharged from OCS I couldnt be in the military period- which I know isnt true. I really REALLY want to an intel or IW officer, and have worked very hard, and am willing to continue to do so. Anyone have any suggestions? Also I am a non-prior.

My recommendation would be to ensure that you are totally healed, and take your shot at it again. Being medically dropped from OCS does not disqualify you from trying again. You weren't medically retired, or rated as disabled by the VA were you? Sounds like your recruiter is either lazy or stupid - both of which are not uncommon... I'd also suggest you get a second opinion from a different recruiter.

I've been in the Navy for 13 years, (12 prior and recently commissioned DCO) and if there is one thing that the canoe club has taught me, it is that your future is in your own hands, and if you are willing to take no for an answer, then you don't want it bad enough. Good luck!

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Sounds like your recruiter is either lazy or stupid - both of which are not uncommon...

This is a dumb thing to say. Maybe you had a bad experience, but one data point plus anecdotal evidence does not a trend make. Perhaps the recruiter that the OP talked to was extrememly busy with fully qualified applicants, and doesn't have the time right now to deal with an applicant with known medical issues.

You owe an apology.

3912DCO

This is a dumb thing to say. Maybe you had a bad experience, but one data point plus anecdotal evidence does not a trend make. Perhaps the recruiter that the OP talked to was extrememly busy with fully qualified applicants, and doesn't have the time right now to deal with an applicant with known medical issues.

You owe an apology.

Then that recruiter should have told the applicant that they were busy, so they could pursue other avenues and thus THEY owe this candidate an apology.

I'd be glad to give you another data point on which to make a case. Clearly I was a qualified candidate (or at least the September Intel Board seemed to think so when they selected me), but I couldn't get my recruiter engaged for about 5-months. I wish there were more people who were really exicted about their recruiter.

Katymu82, I was also told no (ONCE!) because I have surgical hardware in my upper left arm and since then, long story short, I have been to both Iraq and Afghanistan and now have been selected for DCO. Tell that recruiter (or ideally, another one) that you would like to go to MEPS and talk to a doctor about getting a waiver. Do a Navy PFA on your own and show that you can excel (not just pass) in the push-ups as well as the rest. I know, for my hardware, the Navy wanted an evaluation done (by my ortho) that said, this would not keep me from doing anything. However, keep this in mind, he did that because it is the case, my hardware could be removed as it no longer serves any purpose. Your situation sounds like you may not be able to get your doctor to say you are capable of doing anything...THAT may be your stopper.

My guess is you can find quite a few people in the military ranks who were told, at one point or another, no.

Good luck and keep pressing.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Then that recruiter should have told the applicant that they were busy, so they could pursue other avenues and thus THEY owe this candidate an apology.

I'd be glad to give you another data point on which to make a case. Clearly I was a qualified candidate (or at least the September Intel Board seemed to think so when they selected me), but I couldn't get my recruiter engaged for about 5-months. I wish there were more people who were really exicted about their recruiter.

How do you know that you were "clearly qualified"? You may have been a marginal applicant that was the last pick of the board before all the slots were filled. Your recruiter may have recognized this and decided to concentrate his/her resources elsewhere. In such a case, your selection would have been a pleasant surprise to him/her. Or perhaps your recruiter was directed to concentrate on medical programs, and was following orders to make mission.

My annoyance is mainly based on SWCC18's assertion that laziness or stupidity is not an uncommon trait among Navy DCO recruiters, a BULLSHIT comment if ever there was one, especially coming from someone who joined AW yesterday and has all of one post to his name. He owes those recruiters in general an apology. As to whether he owes an apology to the recruiter that Katymu82 contacted, we've only heard one side of the story, and when it comes down to two different versions of the same events as told by a civilian and a commissioned Navy officer, neither of whom I know, excuse me for putting my trust in the latter.

Yeah, bad experiences sometimes happen with recruiters, and it sounds like you had one. I see that you're prior service, and have even been around the block. Good. Thanks for your service. Have you ever been a military recruiter? I have; in fact I did Navy DCO recruiting for 5 plus years. The job can be a real pain in the ass, even when things are going your way. It's impossible to make everyone happy. My recruiting experience was not recent, but I don't think many of the big picture things have changed. I'm confident that now, as when I was doing the job, the vast majority of Navy recruiters are hard working, intelligent and driven to succeed.

Congratulations on becoming an officer. Now start acting like one.

X

xxxCharliexxx

Gentleman, I hate to thrust myself into this (and I'll regret it I'm certain) but this is narrowly if at all helping to solve Katy's issue. However, very sound advice was given I think from everyone.

Katy should seek out another recruiter regardless of the reason. Whether the candidate is not deemed qualified through one recruiter's eyes or whether the recruiter is overworked, Katy should at least get a "second opinion" from another recruiter and go through whatever means necessary to clear him/her medically for the shoulder (through waiver or prove nothing's wrong with it).

I think someone mentioned earlier that if you want it bad enough, don't take 'no' for an answer. Sometimes you have to show them that you want it more than the next guy.

And my 2 cents because I know it's keeping you up at night.....
I have had the misfortune of having a bad recruiter. I changed regions and then had the great pleasure of working with what I believe is the finest recruiting office (recruiter and processor). There are definitely great, hardworking recruiters and staff out there. That being said, we are all on here for information that *usually* we can't get from our recruiting staff, so we are typically in the 'recruiters-are-evil-and-love-to-torture-us' mode. That's no secret. And I'm usually in that boat with everyone else but I also try to share my information as I get it with others...that's why this forum is important. So, I try to keep an open mind on both sides of the recruiter issue. I'm not here to debate it, because it's pointless really and solves nothing...I'm here logging on every night to try to help out with any question that I (by the grace of God) might know the answer to. And I remember when Katy posted, I was typing a response and I wasn't absolutely certain about the waivers or how OCS was handled so I erased my answer and knew that someone on this forum would give better guidance than I could. I was right. :)

priorAF

Hi everyone,

I think you really have an uphill battle on your hands. First, if your military records show you were injured while in OCS and need 3-6 months to heal, well I do not think the military is going to want to talk to you until those six months are up AND you have doctor’s proof that you can handle military service. OCS is designed to be challenging, but you’re not supposed to get injured. Now, you mentioned “I apprently have subluxation of the shoulder joints- fancy talk for unstable or gymnasts joints,” and apparently, according to your recruiter, this is going to keep you from service. I would try a few things if I were you and I really wanted in as you apparently do. First, try talking with your recruiter and try to get more information for their determination. Second, get a second opinion from a second recruiter. Third, call recruiting command and see what they have to say.

In conclusion, you have a HUGE uphill battle and you’re going to have to fight to try and get what you want, however, we have ALL had to fight our way so you’re no different than any of us. I would say you’re prohibited from service for six months because I’m sure your records show your injury. Second, you’re going to need a doctor’s evaluation after six months to say what degree you have healed and that he feels you’re OK for military service.