• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

nugget61

pilot
Sorry for the multiple post but I keep thinking of stuff as I study... In both the Arco and Barrons book there are a list of Nautical terms, "Belay, Bilge, Chit, Keelhaul..." Did any of this come up in your test?

I had one nautical question - I don't recall exactly what it was, but it was something like 'where is a ship controlled from?' (conn)
Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post, I try to get on every day.

Gbgoodman

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I have been browsing the site for about 2 months now gathering all the necessary information for the ASTB and you all have been a lifesaver for those of us who just scan the forums and do not ask anything or whatnot. But the only thing I have run into issues with is studying for the terminology for aviation aspect. There seems to be an unlimitless amount of information and I was curious as to if there is an area we should be mainly focused on? I have the ARCO and numerous .pdf's saved all over my desktop and a huge pdf about principles of flight, but again, limitless! Thanks in advance.

BullGator

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I have been browsing the site for about 2 months now gathering all the necessary information for the ASTB and you all have been a lifesaver for those of us who just scan the forums and do not ask anything or whatnot. But the only thing I have run into issues with is studying for the terminology for aviation aspect. There seems to be an unlimitless amount of information and I was curious as to if there is an area we should be mainly focused on? I have the ARCO and numerous .pdf's saved all over my desktop and a huge pdf about principles of flight, but again, limitless! Thanks in advance.
There is a 2 page pdf on the marine gouge that has a list of things you should study. That list includes the main areas you should study, and their related terminology. If you have been reading AW for 2 months you should be set, however. I was reading AW for about a month before signing up, and specifically gathering info and studying for only a couple weeks before really started studying... so you should be golden.

grant_davis

Take the test at 0900 tomorrow. Still nervous about the math. I have a good grasp on most everything ells, I have been eating gouge for breakfast lunch and dinner for about a month now. If the saying live by the gouge die by the gouge holds true I am a dead man...

One last minor question, did yall have to dress in shirt and tie to take it? My OR is never in the office (Commutes from Florida to Atlanta) so I didn't get the chance to ask him. He is not even going to be there in Tomorrow so I have no idea who is giving me the test. Do I need to bring anything? Any last minute words of wisdom? This site has pretty much saved my life. If I pass the test tomorrow I have about a million files and 5 or 6 books I can send to anyone that needs them, Ill let yall know how I do.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dress shirt & tie not required. Make sure you are comfortable. You are never wrong to wear a collared (Polo) shirt and slacks or jeans. Good luck!

-ea6bflyr ;)

BullGator

Take the test at 0900 tomorrow. Still nervous about the math. I have a good grasp on most everything ells, I have been eating gouge for breakfast lunch and dinner for about a month now. If the saying live by the gouge die by the gouge holds true I am a dead man...

One last minor question, did yall have to dress in shirt and tie to take it? My OR is never in the office (Commutes from Florida to Atlanta) so I didn't get the chance to ask him. He is not even going to be there in Tomorrow so I have no idea who is giving me the test. Do I need to bring anything? Any last minute words of wisdom? This site has pretty much saved my life. If I pass the test tomorrow I have about a million files and 5 or 6 books I can send to anyone that needs them, Ill let yall know how I do.
I dressed in a nice shirt, pants, and shoes/socks -no tie needed, unless you want to. Bring a snack, water, and a bottle to pee in- j/k on the last thing. They provided the scrape paper and pens/pencils for me. I gave you some words of wisdom in a PM.

nugget61

pilot

Good luck, and let us know how you do. I took some gum with me to help with my nerves. You'll also get a break about 60% of the way through, so you might want to bring a granola bar. And if you have a lucky pencil, nows the time to give it some use!

grant_davis

I feel like I should study for another week but, ill go give this thing a good try and see how it goes. I think I am just going to cut my self off and go to bed so Ill let you guys know tomorrow.

grant_davis

Got it done... Don't feel very relieved tho haha. I should have done better I scored..
AQR 5
PFAR 5
FOFAR 4
OAR 51

Not that great ... I think I just worked my self up too much.. Do those scores even meet the minimum? I have a 3.67gpa, dual major, lots of clubs and activities and great LOR's, so if these meet the minimums I might jut apply anyway. On a side note I MIGHT have to get PRK so I do have some time...

What do yall think?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Got it done... Don't feel very relieved tho haha. I should have done better I scored..
AQR 5
PFAR 5
FOFAR 4
OAR 51

Not that great ... I think I just worked my self up too much.. Do those scores even meet the minimum? I have a 3.67gpa, dual major, lots of clubs and activities and great LOR's, so if these meet the minimums I might jut apply anyway. On a side note I MIGHT have to get PRK so I do have some time...

What do yall think?

I'd submit the App to get in the board, but I'd also keep studying and plan on taking that again:D

grant_davis

hmm that site says I met the minimums but I just called my Navy recruiter and he says I need all 5's. I called my Marine recruiter right after the test and he said 6 6 5. Not sure who is right but my basic understanding is that I have to retake it..

My next question is where did I go wrong. I'm not sure how they come up with the scores but if I had to guess I would say that math is probably where things didn't work out for me. I wish there was a way to see what I missed

BullGator

hmm that site says I met the minimums but I just called my Navy recruiter and he says I need all 5's. I called my Marine recruiter right after the test and he said 6 6 5. Not sure who is right but my basic understanding is that I have to retake it..

My next question is where did I go wrong. I'm not sure how they come up with the scores but if I had to guess I would say that math is probably where things didn't work out for me. I wish there was a way to see what I missed
When I walked out of there, I pretty much knew that I fumbled some SAt Qs, reading and mech Qs also some big guesses, so I got a lower pilot score and AQR than NFO score; normaly when I leave a test though, I know which ones I didn't know and where I had problems --My point is, I think that only you could know which sections you need help with. The good thing is that you've seen the test and know it's format now. Also, I've read that people with about the same scores had gotton accepted as SNA, with a very strong package as you seem to have; but your recruiter sounds like he is going to block you regardless, so I may be wrong (i.e. those that I read may have been years ago, for all I know). Keep studying and practicing.

P.S. Your PM said that you needed to keep the books for now, does that mean they are hard-copies and not on the internet? I assumed they were pfd's or online books when I PM'ed you; if they are hard copies then I'd keep them too for $ and learning sake. Regardless, good luck on the next test and work on math/ mech shortcuts. Just working on math problems alone will get you more acustomed to dealing with numbers and faster on manipulating them by itself, so definitely keep up the math work on a (daily) regular basis.