• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

grant_davis

I know these questions make it seem like I haven't studied at all but I just want to make sure I am studying all of the correct information. All of my books should arrive Monday the only one I have now is the Learning Express book from 2003 which isn't a whole lot of help. But I have been studying all of the online gouge which has helped a-lot.

BullGator

Thanks for all of the advise it is helping a-lot. So the mechanical section is pulleys and inclines etc. and the spatial is just the view from the cockpit stuff?
Mechanical is more than that. Of the top of my head there are levers/torque/moments, tension, temperature transfer, electrical, ...forgot the rest but there are like a total of 10 or so topics. I have them writing down somewhere. Each test probably doesn't cover them all (mine didn't), but it's good to know anyway.

Spatial is easy enough, differnces are on the SAT 10 page gouge. 25 questions in 10 minutes instead of 35 questions in 10min like you've been seeing in Arco. By the way, if you follow those two Arco book links then you don't need to order them, they are free. The only book that I bought was Barron's.

For your last post: it seems like you are studying the right stuff. There are only six basic sections and the one that requires the most time studying is ANT, the one that requires the absolute least is reading comprehension. 1. Math 2. Reading Comp 3. Mech 4. SAT 5. Nautical/aviation 6. Also aviation (maybe nautical too, it's getting fuzzier what was on the last section...I spent 2 hours before on my application with my OR and by the 6th section I was ready to giddyup out of there...). Just keep studying and when you take it understand that you can retake it (that helped me be calm and take the pressure off alot).

grant_davis

Thanks for all of the help and information, hopefully by the time I take the test I'll be able to help someone ells as much as you helped me.

BullGator

I'm kind of confused about what an airplane's chordline is?
Did you order Barron's? It has a pretty good picture. So do a couple aviation sites: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/media/faa-h-8083-25-1of4.pdf (page 21 of 111).

(In my words.) Looking at a cross section of a wing (an airfoil): A chordline is a straight line from trailing edge point until leading edge point. It is underneath the mean chamber line. It can also be called just "wing chord."

Basically in "layman's terms," it is the the width of the wing, at any given cross section, but don't remember it that way; it is too basic and not a good definition. It is only for a starting reference.

grant_davis

A few more questions

I stumbled across a few more questions if you have some time...
1) Do I need to memorize all of the ranks and the corresponding insignia?
2) Is there a link to some good basic gouge to study as far as Navy history, dates names and stuff that I should focus my studies on.
3) Do I need to memorize all of the fixed winged, rotary and unmanned aircraft? And what about boats and submarines?

Basically I just need to know how in depth do go with all of this. I only have a week left to study and it seems like the information is endless. In the Barrons book there are 44 pages of different aircraft so it seems like they feel that it is important to know. Other than that I am solid on the spatial, reading, port, runway numbering, basic mechanics, I have an algebra book but could use some brushing up on trig. I hope I can cram it all in, ill let you know how I do. If I pass I have a whole bunch of helpful stuff pulled from the site, internet and books that I can give someone who needs it.

nugget61

pilot
I stumbled across a few more questions if you have some time...
1) Do I need to memorize all of the ranks and the corresponding insignia?
2) Is there a link to some good basic gouge to study as far as Navy history, dates names and stuff that I should focus my studies on.
3) Do I need to memorize all of the fixed winged, rotary and unmanned aircraft? And what about boats and submarines?

I can only tell you how my ASTB went (about 3 weeks ago).
1) I didn't have a single question about the hierarchy or insignia.
2) The marine gouge has some Q's about that stuff you can look at, however, again, I didn't have a single question about any of that.
3) You have to have a working knowledge. I had 2 airplane questions - they asked what role the F-14 had (Fighter) and they asked what plane was the backbone of the SAC shortly after WWII.

GL

grant_davis

Thanks for the help. I won't focus on memorizing all of he planes and ranks just yet then. Going through some SAT words right now and reviewing some of the mechanical stuff.

grant_davis

I know according to Bernoulli's principle the air flowing over the top of the wing is moving faster and thus has less pressure creating lift. My question is why is the air flowing over the top of the wing moving faster?

What type of info should I know about clouds/weather?
Just cloud types or also what causes them to form? Anything about storm fronts??

nugget61

pilot
I know according to Bernoulli's principle the air flowing over the top of the wing is moving faster and thus has less pressure creating lift. My question is why is the air flowing over the top of the wing moving faster?

It all has to do with the wing design. Google 'wing design' and 'camber' and you should find what you're looking for.

What type of info should I know about clouds/weather?
Just cloud types or also what causes them to form? Anything about storm fronts??

I learned what the prefixes and suffixes meant so that I could break down the meaning, however I didn't have any cloud questions either.

And Grant, I just remembered, I didn't have many plane questions, but I did have a good number on airport info - tower light gun signals, airport markings/lights etc.

grant_davis

kinda sucks I have spent the better part of the day studying wing types, axes of flight and stuff like that. O-well Ill flip back to the airport stuff now...

grant_davis

Sorry for the multiple post but I keep thinking of stuff as I study... In both the Arco and Barrons book there are a list of Nautical terms, "Belay, Bilge, Chit, Keelhaul..." Did any of this come up in your test?