• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I'm having trouble getting that columbia page to open and I tried visiting www.columbia.edu but I couldn't find anything on there about the astb. Any suggestions? I took the test once and qualifited but I'm trying to earn a more competative score to get the bdcp.

Go check the other ASTB thread

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145333&page=36

DukeAndrewJ and I have posted the things that helped us study, plus you'll find tons of other things you can use to study.

Good luck.

BigL17

I have been in the US intel community for a good three years with an excellent track record thus far (knock on wood). I attained a 3.0 from a very well known and reputable university and took the ASTBs back in 2005, a month before graduating, and did a lousy job of 3/4/4 40.

I would take the test again, since you have already experienced what the test is like statistically you should score better the next time around, granted that you are studying diligently. Just saying a 3/4/4 40 is not competitive with the scores from some of the other applicants for SNA/NFO on this site alone.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I would take the test again, since you have already experienced what the test is like statistically you should score better the next time around, granted that you are studying diligently. Just saying a 3/4/4 40 is not competitive with the scores from some of the other applicants for SNA/NFO on this site alone.

That post was from May. GetAwayDriver just got Pro-rec'd from August boards, so I don't think he'll be taking it again. :p

c_s

From my experience, the ASTB does matter, but it's not the end-all be-all. I got a 47 (not sure of the break down) and my recruiter wanted me to get a 50. I got picked up with my first application (NFO and SWO). And I've seen people on here with ASTB scores as high as 65 who didn't get picked up for either. And my GPA isn't so outstanding.. like a 3.5 or something. If you look at the score distribution of people who take the test, most fall between a 40 and a 50.

For me the most important part of the test was time management. If you start to take more than 30-40 seconds on a question, make an educated guess and move on. It's worth it to be able to answer all of the questions than not even look at some of them. And the math part was definitely the hardest for me, simply because I suck at math. Or I guess it's not that I suck at math, but I need to sit there and spend like, five minutes on each question.

I read a lot of The Blue Jacket's Manual just because it has a ton of terminology and info. about ships and whatnot. You can buy it on amazon, just make sure it's the most recent version and not one from 1956.

BigL17

CuPike11 I'm Jamaican born and i just read that quote you have from OttoWrote8, and it's hilarious, but she would make some rice and peas with that too.

flygurl

I took the ASTB for a second time and scored worse after two entire months of studying everyday. First time I scored a 42 and second time I scored a 38. My package did not even make it to the board. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am halfway through my Master's Degree. Also, I am seven hours shy of my Private Pilot's License. Excellent references. I speak three different languages fluently. In great physical shape as well. First choice, Pilot, second choice NFO, and third choice SWO. My recruiter suggested I just go in as enlisted and forget the officer thing. However, I have been working towards officer for over 6 years and has always been my dream. I hired a tutor in order to improve in physics and math. Also, my recruiter said that even if I took it a third time and scored well, that I probably wouldn't make it anyway. I am really disappointed how little he thinks of me and I do not believe that one or two test scores could sum up my years of hard work, dedication, and commitment. Despite the negative comments, I am not giving up and I will try again. And if it does not work out this third time then, I will consider a different branch. Though, my family would probably disown me. ;) Is this discouragement usual? Did not think that gender mattered when it came to credentials and education. However, the same recruiter submitted a guy with less experience than myself. So??? I am not really sure what to think about that. His other recruit, a female, also has not been submitted though she lacks experience, she did well on the ASTB. I am confused. I have read previous posts and please guys... don't think that I am trying to start a gender battle because I am not. I am just asking for a little advice. I know my score was not competitive but I at least wanted my package to make it to the board eventhough, I would probably be non-select. Because, I have read on here that when you resubmit, that they will take in consideration how much you have improved since they last saw you at the board. And is your selection really weighed on your overall package? How can they even consider my overall package when I cannot even be seen before the board? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all for all the previous posts. I have enjoyed reading your posts. Well, in the next three months, I will be working with a tutor-A Marine.. :) and hopefully, blow the exam out of the water and there won't be a question on my selection or at least being submitted. Another question, I have for you guys and gals... is should I look for a different recruiter? or prove my current recruiter wrong? Thanks again everyone. Hope you all have a wonderful day filled with peace, love and happiness. :)

Flygurl,

Your low ASTB scores are probably why your OR doesn't want to submit your package. He may not want to waste your time. I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with gender. ORs are simply going to be more enthusiastic about strong applicants with better scores. Their job is to get applicants that will be selected, it reflects on them and their job performance. You have an impressive background, but according to NAMI, the ASTB is also a good indication of success or attrition in API and primary. Flight school is going to be much more demanding and difficult than studying for the ASTB.

My advice to you would be to look at what you may have done wrong and try to correct it. What were your AQR, PFAR, and FOAR? When it comes to studying for the ASTB, do not waste time covering deep topics in physics, calculus, etc. Study what is relevant to the test. It is an inch deep and a mile wide. Study the PDFs and guides that are available on this forum and elswhere on the web. There is so much information that will help you if you use it. You already have a feel for what the test is like after taking it twice, so you should know what you need to study. Is your weekness math, reading, mechanical, aviation, etc. Concentrate on your weaknesses. Don't overthink studying for the ASTB.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
His other recruit, a female, also has not been submitted though she lacks experience, she did well on the ASTB. I am confused.

Are you sure you are speaking to an OFFICER RECRUITER vice an Enlisted Recruiter? Most OR's will not tell you to ENLIST to increase your chances....that sounds like an Enlisted Recruiter ploy. Make sure you are dealing with an Officer Recruiter.

-ea6bflyr ;)

flygurl

Thank you. I have been using the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Book, along with Barron's OCS book, also, two ARCO books and the marine gouge I found on this site. I don't know if its test anxiety or what. But hopefully, I will score high this time. I was not given a breakdown. But the test administrator suggested I enroll in a physics course which I am not going to do but did hire a tutor to help me. Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it and will make it happen this time!!! Also, I will continue to search for more study guides online. Thanks again.

BullGator

Enlisted of course. Thanks for the tip. FlygUrl
Get in contact with your nearest officer recruiter (OR). It may be a long drive, but it will be worth it. I have seen people with 38's get in for SWO and other designations (I believe, don't hold me to it, but I am pretty sure that on NavyOCS.com there were a few that had otherwise strong packets like yourself, and got pro-rec'd and selected).

The enlisted recruiters will try their best to get you to enlist. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't seem to be what you want. Good luck.

BullGator

Thank you. I have been using the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Book, along with Barron's OCS book, also, two ARCO books and the marine gouge I found on this site. I don't know if its test anxiety or what. But hopefully, I will score high this time. I was not given a breakdown. But the test administrator suggested I enroll in a physics course which I am not going to do but did hire a tutor to help me. Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it and will make it happen this time!!! Also, I will continue to search for more study guides online. Thanks again.
Some members on here have put together and shared some excellent study guides (especially for the last 2 sections which are probably the easiest to actually study for). I don't have the links, but they are floating around here somewhere.

Make sure to take a timed practice test once (or so) a week. For math, the best thing to do is play around with the numbers to where you can quickly manipulate them: whether decimals, dividing, multiplying, or squaring/cubing. Just keep at it. For the word problems I didn't get right away I would cut them out (if printed from online) or re write them and save them in paperclips so that I could work them again over and over: for word problems the trick is finding the fastest way that you can do them...

And don't neglect the SAT section. For me, I didn't even prepare for the Reading Comp portion. The mechanical portion is similar to the math section: cut out the ones you don't get and re-work them until you understand them. They end up being mostly comprehension questions: things with real life examples that you probably know once spending enough time on them.

Study, but in the mean time, also try to submit you package before you take it the third time. That is my 2 cents at least: you can always resubmit once you get better ASTB scores. :icon_wink

EDIT: Also look into each designator that you may be interested in. Not just the qualifications and competitive scores, but also their lifestyles and other details. Have you looked into Supply, or for that matter the lifestyle of SWOs? This site is great for that type of information. Just research each designator's forum on here and/or NavyOCS.com. Again, good luck.

das

Contributor
Does finishing each section before the allotted time improve your score or does it not matter.

It does not matter.

What does matter is leaving unanswered questions if you run out of time; if you are nearing the time limit on a section, make sure to answer all questions, even if they're just random. Guesses and wrong answers do not count against you.