• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
I had a similar GPA and my OR told me to be competitive I would need a 60-7-7-7.

I Also have a question. I am studying all the material to get the best possible score but what happens if I do not reach the mark for those scores? Can my OR just tell me NO your not competitive and thats it? I have read plenty of packets where their astb score was not that high yet have been selected. I have a pretty decent whole person packet and I dont want to be turned down just because I have a 2.4gpa and a 50s-6-6-6 astb.

I have a similar concern and wanted to get the gouge regarding previous experiences.

I have been in the US intel community for a good three years with an excellent track record thus far (knock on wood). I attained a 3.0 from a very well known and reputable university and took the ASTBs back in 2005, a month before graduating, and did a lousy job of 3/4/4 40.

Do the panels really take into account the whole picture? I've wanted to pursue a career in the Navy since I was two feet tall and am going to make this my final stop. I am also listing intel as my third choice after SNA and NFO.

Have been studying diligently using all the tools that have been suggested. Just hope this doesn't hedge my entire chance at flying.

I'm still a bit new here so please take this with a grain of salt. This is mostly second hand info I've learned from other posters on here.

Champ, they look at the whole person, so if your gpa is low but your ASTB scores and everything else is great you've still got a shot. Everyone says the same thing, "Do your best at whatever you have control over," since you can't make up your GPA without going back to school, try to make up for it in other areas. I have heard 2.5 is the bare minimum for some jobs but I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

Getawaydriver, they only look at the most recent ASTB score so that's one less thing to worry about :)

BuckWild

Advanced - VT-35
Does anyone have a copy of the "Marine gouge" pdf file. The link on marinegouge.com is broken. Thanks in advance.

gdimeling

I printed a couple of practice exams off of the gouge on this site, but I do not know if the answers are right. Can anyone verify that the "Engines Practice Exam" that starts with #7 and ends at problem #25 is correct? Also, I have tried to find the Colombia link that MMX1 posted a while back and its no longer working. Does anyone have a current link? I am 27 and taking the test this coming Monday. I am trying to get into Intel, which I know is a stretch for me, but I really want it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I am sooo nervous!

das

Contributor
I printed a couple of practice exams off of the gouge on this site, but I do not know if the answers are right. Can anyone verify that the "Engines Practice Exam" that starts with #7 and ends at problem #25 is correct?

Which practice exam is this? I haven't seen glaring errors except a couple in the Barron's practice tests.

Also, I have tried to find the Colombia link that MMX1 posted a while back and its no longer working. Does anyone have a current link?

http://www.grafitto.com/~mark/astb/

blknight

Which Barron's book is best?

Which Barron's book is better?

Barron's Officer Candidate School Tests

or

Barron's Military Flight Aptitude tests...

I know both may contain errors, but which one is better is the question?

And are the free ARCO books online even worth the look? I heard they are not that good.

das

Contributor
Which Barron's book is better?

Barron's Officer Candidate School Tests

or

Barron's Military Flight Aptitude tests...

I know both may contain errors, but which one is better is the question?

Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests, as the name implies, is the one actually focused on the different military flight aptitude tests, including the ASTB. The officer candidate review books may be helpful if you feel you need more of a general math review, etc., but I wouldn't even bother with it.

The errors that the Barron's book contains can be counted on one hand...okay, maybe two (the axes in one of the plane diagrams are swapped, and there are some answers on the practice test that are wrong). But the few errors that exist are really just editing errors, and the benefits of the book far outweigh these issues.

And are the free ARCO books online even worth the look? I heard they are not that good.

They're free, and yes. The ARCO book has another practice ASTB, and the thing that is most helpful if you're doing prep is actually taking timed practice tests. The material review is also helpful.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
So i just finished taking the ASTB a couple hours ago and thought I would share a little since this advice I found here certainly helped me out a lot. I only took the OAR portion, so sorry I cant help the wannabe pilots.

I was always fairly strong in math/physics, but havent taken any classes in those subjects in like 6 years, so I took EVERY practice test I could find. do a quick AW search and you will find 3-4.

Most of the math problems are things anyone should know how to do, the catch is you have to know how to do them quickly. Make sure when you take your practice tests, you time yourself. I managed to finish every section with a couple minutes left and it's all because I got good at pacing myself. Get good at translating a word problem into an alegbra problem. brush up on basic properites of right triangles.

the mechanical comprehension was what I studied the most for. Timing is especially important here because you only get 30 seconds/question. That said, most of the questions are such that if you know what you are looking for, you can solve them without having to do any substantial calculatins. The best advice I can give about this section is go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up series/parallel circuits, levers, gears, pulleys and 4 stroke engines. They provide great explanations for it all and that stuff will make up 80% of the test. Don't get intimidated by complicated figures - if you approach them calmly you will realize they can be broken down into things you have seen before.

Surprisingly, the reading comprehension is what gave me the most trouble. It's not that it is that hard, but a lot of it seems pretty poorly written. Rather than picking the best response, a lot of times I felt I was picking the least crappy response. There isn't too much you can do about these except take some practice tests and get used to crappy writing.

For what it is worth, I got a 64 and hopefully that is good enough for SWO.

I probably wont be checking back on this thread, so feel free to PM me with any questions.

as for books, unless you are really weak on a ubject, you can probably get everything you need free on the internet. besides the famous marinegouge, there is also the petersons books (search AW). I know it has been said before, but the Cliffs book SUCKS! Do not buy it or look at it! I got it when i first decided to apply to OCS and it was a waste of money. it is full of incorrect answers as well as poor explanations of things you do not need to know for the test

BigL17

ARCO and the columbia site will both tell you it in fact ranges from 20/1/1/1 - 80/9/9/9. God save the man's soul who scores the 20/1/1/1. Haha. So this is right.

I scored a 26/1/1/1 on the paper version, but they scored it with the wrong form. Retook the computer version and got 6/6/5 63. My flight experience is Google Earth Flight Sim Haha.

swaggerfranklin

I'm having trouble getting that columbia page to open and I tried visiting www.columbia.edu but I couldn't find anything on there about the astb. Any suggestions? I took the test once and qualifited but I'm trying to earn a more competative score to get the bdcp.