• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need serious help!

zaleskb1

I was in the officer selection for USNR for about 6 years (long story of misplaced applications and too many recruiting promotions/move ons, cancelled panels and interviews). Anyway, I finally got an app done, but did not get in. Was told by recruiter that I never made it out of NRD phila. Not sure what that means. Any help on that?

Programs tried were Supply and Intel... Was told Intel scores not "100 %" by recruiter and not allowed to submit app... Thus went for Supply, which I was rejected for this past January.

Was told what did me in was an admission of marijuana use in college over 8 years ago. (Only a college thing... I'm govt law enforcement w/major responsibilities so that's never an issue.) Yes it was wrong. But i can't change the past.... But i can certainly dictate where I'm going as the saying goes. Nor could I dare be dishonest in any way to something so dear and true to me. Not a day does by I don't think about being an officer in the USNR.

Basically I'm at difficult crossroad. I'm 30, and I know I have to age 42 to accomplish this dream. All I think about sservice. I've been told it's easier to become officer via civilian commission and very difficult after enlistment. That's the thing, I'm debating enlistment.

I have BA Political Science and MA in Intelligence Studies. 3.33 gpa. I'm revenue agent for my home state and I'm an elected trustee for the Local in the union (AFSCME).

Do I wait few years and reapply? Enlist? Try army? ANG?

My age is a reservation I have regarding enlistment.

I'm grateful for all of your service and any response.

Not to sound sappy, but I was seriously heartbroken when given news that I was not accepted, cuz I know I'd be a great naval leader (even though I expected rejection) . And I don't accept such after dealing with over 6 yrs of BS that was thrown my way. No chance I'd ever give up. Maybe there's a better way and I just don't know it.

Renegade One

None
I was in the officer selection for USNR for about 6 years...scores not "100 %" by recruiter and not allowed to submit app... Thus went for Supply, which I was rejected for this past January...what did me in was an admission of marijuana use in college over 8 years ago. ...I'm 30, and I know I have to age 42 to accomplish this dream. ...No chance I'd ever give up. Maybe there's a better way and I just don't know it.
There may be a way yet for you…but keep the day job and focus on that as the "primary way ahead" for your life. If something of this sort pans out…that's gravy and best of luck…others with similar experiences will know far better than I.

Again, focus on the here and now and what you have and what you can make of it. Many more opportunities are likely to come your way….maybe Navy too.

exNavyOffRec

I have seen many Intel applications go in with scores less than (100%), now none were selected but they still should have sent yours to board.

I am not surprised you were not selected Supply, it is very competitive and the ones I have seen selected had supply chain management/finance/accounting experience.

I would try to get some certifications that would apply to Intel in order to get your confidence score up.

yingty01

You shouldn't feel like you are at a crossroads at age 30. In fact, I'd guess that the average age of new Intel DCOs is 30- and I know more than a few JOs in their late 30s-early 40s. If Intel is what you want, continue to pursue it. Not sure who your recruiter in NRD Philly is, but I had a very positive experience when I went through the process with them two years ago. I wasn't accepted the first time around (few are), but stayed with it and was commissioned. Also, you don't need to wait "a few years" to reapply. You can continue to push applications through at every board. Recruiter might use his/her discretion in doing so, but I think you seem qualified. Continue to build up your resume and keep at it...

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
I was in the officer selection for USNR for about 6 years (long story of misplaced applications and too many recruiting promotions/move ons, cancelled panels and interviews). Anyway, I finally got an app done, but did not get in. Was told by recruiter that I never made it out of NRD phila. Not sure what that means. Any help on that?

Programs tried were Supply and Intel... Was told Intel scores not "100 %" by recruiter and not allowed to submit app... Thus went for Supply, which I was rejected for this past January.

Was told what did me in was an admission of marijuana use in college over 8 years ago. (Only a college thing... I'm govt law enforcement w/major responsibilities so that's never an issue.) Yes it was wrong. But i can't change the past.... But i can certainly dictate where I'm going as the saying goes. Nor could I dare be dishonest in any way to something so dear and true to me. Not a day does by I don't think about being an officer in the USNR.

Basically I'm at difficult crossroad. I'm 30, and I know I have to age 42 to accomplish this dream. All I think about sservice. I've been told it's easier to become officer via civilian commission and very difficult after enlistment. That's the thing, I'm debating enlistment.

I have BA Political Science and MA in Intelligence Studies. 3.33 gpa. I'm revenue agent for my home state and I'm an elected trustee for the Local in the union (AFSCME).

Do I wait few years and reapply? Enlist? Try army? ANG?

My age is a reservation I have regarding enlistment.

I'm grateful for all of your service and any response.

Not to sound sappy, but I was seriously heartbroken when given news that I was not accepted, cuz I know I'd be a great naval leader (even though I expected rejection) . And I don't accept such after dealing with over 6 yrs of BS that was thrown my way. No chance I'd ever give up. Maybe there's a better way and I just don't know it.

Zaleskb1,

I understand your disappointment about not getting selected your first time around but don't give up. If this is what you really want it may take some time but i'm sure you'll find that it was worth the hassle. I was just Pro Rec'd as an AMDO and I'll be 34 before I commission so I think your age is a non issue. I also think that your admission of marijuana use eight years ago was not the main factor for not getting selected last go around. You have to convey to the board why you are the best person for the job. Your degree (s), certifications, letters of recommendations, resume and motivational statement are your chance to show them why you'll make a great Naval leader. Don't ever expect rejection from the start of anything. It's ok to expect a difficult road ahead but don't ever sell yourself short and expect to fail.

All you can do is try to make your packet as strong as it can be. If you have three certifications that they are looking for then look at getting a fourth one. If you haven't had the chance to volunteer, then call up your local Boys and Girls club and become a mentor. Always try to better yourself and thru that process your package will become more competitive. Even if you don't get selected, you will have made yourself a better person thru the process.

There are many others on AW that maybe able to comment on your chances of getting selected if you decide to enlist. I was a prior enlisted E-7 in the Air Force and Air Force Reserve for almost 14 years and I believe that my AF "E" time helped my packet. I think that you just have to decide what is most important to you. Is it service or service as an officer? If you enlist and start your time then you will be that much closer to reaching the 20 year mark when you do get selected by the DCO board.

Good luck and keep at it!

Bam

zaleskb1

Thank you all greatly for your responses. They have been helpful.

The reason I was told to wait 2 years to reapply is so next time I shouldn't disclose college marijuana use. Was told that "I'm in the computer as a 'drug user' and those records last 2 years. Then, no one in the Navy will know who I am.

Is this accurate?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you all greatly for your responses. They have been helpful.

The reason I was told to wait 2 years to reapply is so next time I shouldn't disclose college marijuana use. Was told that "I'm in the computer as a 'drug user' and those records last 2 years. Then, no one in the Navy will know who I am.

Is this accurate?
I never knew anyone to be rejected solely for MJ use as long as it was "experimental" and "rare" or "occasional". You say that your use was 8 years ago. Both the App and the SF 86 ask about drug use within the last 7 years. I see the MJ use as just one competitive factor. Reapplying sooner may simply put you in different competition and yield a different result. NavyOff Rec will have the final say on this. My experience is very dated. I should probably be chasing kids off my lawn and washing the Buick.

mzmtg

CEC DCO Appplicant
The reason I was told to wait 2 years to reapply is so next time I shouldn't disclose college marijuana use.

Question 9b on the APSR is: "Have you ever used illegal drugs?"

The answer to that question does not change from "Yes" to "No" after 10 years.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question 9b on the APSR is: "Have you ever used illegal drugs?"

The answer to that question does not change from "Yes" to "No" after 10 years.
That is the way the question was worded on the application for commission for many years. The SF 86 as well, I think. What is the APSR?

mzmtg

CEC DCO Appplicant
That is the way the question was worded on the application for commission for many years. The SF 86 as well, I think. What is the APSR?

The "Application Processing and Summary Record" (APSR) is the application for commission, NAVCRUIT 1131/230 (REV 03-2012).

The SF86 just asks about drug use during the preceding 7 years.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm, To refresh my memory before I posted I looked on line for the app. I knew that it had not referenced any time span in the years I was in the business. First PDF I found was a 1131/2 rev 1/07. It referenced the 7 years. Oddly, it appears the question was relaxed for a period and the newest revision has no time frame reference toughening it up. Either way. very valid point for the OP. I'd run it by the recruiter or civ processor again. Doesn't sound right.

mzmtg

CEC DCO Appplicant
Oddly, it appears the question was relaxed for a period and the newest revision has no time frame reference toughening it up. Either way. very valid point for the OP. I'd run it by the recruiter or civ processor again. Doesn't sound right.

I had to answer yes. Like the OP, I tried MJ a couple of times in college which was 15 years ago for me. I had to get a waiver signed off by the local NRD CO to go with my app. My package is almost ready to go before the next CEC board, so we'll see what happens.

zaleskb1

I'm thinking I never got the OK or sign off from NRD, hence the "nnever made it out of NRD" comment made to me.

A small part of me thinks the application never 100% went through. Thus never actually rejected by the board. I only found out I didn't make it after I inquired about my status because I wasn't told anything after the interviews were completed.

It'd disheartening when someone says you're not good enough and they don't really know you. Putting 6 + years in an awful application process should stand for something.

mzmtg

CEC DCO Appplicant
I'm thinking I never got the OK or sign off from NRD, hence the "nnever made it out of NRD" comment made to me.

Were you ever asked about the number of times you used MJ?

I had to fill out a hand-written statement describing the circumstances surrounding my use and the number of times. I also had to describe any legal ramifications there may have been (none for me, thankfully). I also had to hand write a statement about my motivation for joining the Navy. This was all separate from the APSR. This was then followed up with a phone conversation with the NRD XO so he could recommend that the CO formally agree to send my package up the chain.