• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Working Uniform Type II and III - finally something sailors can wear....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I still don't understand why the Navy has a camouflage uniform for personnel other than NSW or Seabees.
A lot of it comes from the height of GWOT, when OIF was spiraling out of control, and Mullen wanted to send the message that Navy is military too. This was around the same time that the Army started wearing cammies practically everywhere- on travel through airports, in D.C.

Granted, it's easy to take pot shots at flags and generals in hindsight almost fifteen years later, but this era was also when "America's military went to war; America went to the mall," so I have mixed feelings about the wearing cammies everywhere you go thing. There's something to be said about putting it out there in people's faces. I appreciate the sincerity of TYFYS from a stranger, but if you want to really show appreciation for my "service" then either sign up for it yourself, sign your kids up, or better yet educate yourself as much as possible and vote, tell your politicians what you think, do something, do anything that means getting some skin in the game. Seeing some schlep wearing cammies at the gas station just might keep that pilot light lit at the back in some random stranger's mind.

Killing off dungarees/utilities for good also seemed like easy fodder back then, lots of people had groused about those uniforms for a long time.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Why do we need different camouflage for each service, camouflage being used in a battle dress uniform meant to get rode hard and put away wet in various climes by American servicemen, if the branch's service and dress uniforms are distinguishable? How much money has each service spent in the last twenty years on crafting their own camouflage uniforms when that money could have been better spent on more left handed screwdrivers and grid squares?

Without looking it up, I think Congress asked the same question and has legislated all future camoflouge be joint like we had pre 2006.

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Without looking it up, I think Congress asked the same question and has legislated all future camoflouge be joint like we had pre 2006.
If only we followed our own instruction.....

DOD INSTRUCTION 4140.63
In accordance with Section 352 of Public Law 113-66, the Military Departments will not adopt any new camouflage pattern design or uniform fabric for ground combat, combat utility, utility, or family of uniforms unless one or more of the following applies:

(1) The new design or fabric is adopted by all Military Departments.

(2) A Military Department adopts a uniform or fabric already in use by another Military Department.

(3) The Secretary of Defense specifically grants an exception based on unique circumstances or operational requirements.

(4) The uniform pattern design or fabric change is permitted by statute or exception referred to in Section 352 of Public Law 113-66.

==================================

Revised Policy on Ground Combat and Camouflage Utility Uniforms

Pub. L. 113–66, div. A, title III, §352(a)–(f), Dec. 26, 2013, 127 Stat. 742, 743, provided that:

"(a) Establishment of Policy.—It is the policy of the United States that the Secretary of Defense shall eliminate the development and fielding of Armed Force-specific combat and camouflage utility uniforms and families of uniforms in order to adopt and field a common combat and camouflage utility uniform or family of uniforms for specific combat environments to be used by all members of the Armed Forces.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Blue/Khaki for everyone. OCPs for people where there’s shooting. This isn’t hard.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I always wondered where the Black and Tan uniform sprouted from.

Well, they do have their own song:

thb-aug160495-875x1000.jpg

For those who don't know anything about Irish drinking/rebellion songs:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
All that's to say that USN camouflage for the average Joe Sailor is dumb and flight suits are still cooler than anything else.
The Navy has taken over a dozen surveys on the matter. Enlisted sailors want a uniform that:

-Can be worn every day including shipboard and off base so that they don't have to spend time changing multiple times a day.
-Fits well.
-Is easy to maintain.
-Is comfortable to wear in all climates.
-Allows them to take pride in their service instead of looking like a janitor or prisoner.

Add in that senior leaders want military services to look similar enough to be identifiable as a group, and that's where cammies for sailors come from. And despite the complaints about the rank tab, the NWU type III uniform is significantly more well received than its predecessors.

People are looking at dungarees and utilities with rose colored glasses. Enlisted sailors writ large hated them - utilities were poor fitting, hard to maintain in good order, and easy fodder for shitty chiefs to apply their idea of 'leadership.' Sailors certainly don't feel a sense of heritage toward them the way pilots have for flight suits.

Putting the rank/rate patch onto the collar and/or returning it to the 8 point cover would be a really easy, cheap fix without throwing out the baby with the bathwater. And while we're at it, make the coyote brown boot the default standard issue.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Add in that senior leaders want military services to look similar enough to be identifiable as a group, and that's where cammies for sailors come from. And despite the complaints about the rank tab, the NWU type III uniform is significantly more well received than its predecessors.
That’s dumb and pointless. The Navy should have just copied the Coast Guard for a functional, not stupid looking uniform.

Edit: not sure why everything is bold, only wanted your sentence about senior leaders bolded

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Someone say bold?

giphy.gif

:D

I never wore dungarees (I was never enlisted) so my opinion on them doesn't have much credibility, but I thought they were a functional, traditional working uniform. When you have something that simply works and it's the same thing that worked in your dad's day and your grandfather's...