• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by goldwingdreams
What carrier caught fire on 26 October 1966 and why?

Subsequent to WWII how many ships in the US Navy have sunk resulting in the loss of life? What is their name(s) and hull number(s)?

Kobyra
graduate_125.gif

Feel free to answer that second question, it's all yours. Remember, no looking it up!
boggled_125.gif

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Goldenwing, pardon me for butting in on your question, but I have a bonus question to add to it:

How many Sailors did we lose due to the Forrestal tragedy?

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Sorry, the cut and paste sort of got to me. Please continue to answer questions as you see fit, and ask some on fun things to know.

The funny thing is, with a no looking up on internet requirement the questions should be things that the person knew without looking up (granted some people do know some very strange knowledge), but the questions have just seemed to become something that is harder and harder to search for.

Kobyra

P.S. Sorry I can be a bit of an a$$ sometimes. Well, maybe more than sometimes. :D

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
It was not the Forrestal, that was on
July 29, 1967.
I think it may be the Enterprise fire?

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by bch
It was not the Forrestal, that was on
July 29, 1967.
I think it may be the Enterprise fire?

Wrong again I see.
banghead_125.gif

Who's was only Chief Petty Officer to be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Daedalus

Who's plane was hit by the stray rocket on the Forrestal? The pilot jumped out of his plane through burning jet fuel, to relative safety, to fight the fire (I presume), only later to be shot down over Korea, put in a POW camp for eons, refusing to be sent home just because his father was an admiral, when his brothers were still interned? Whew, later he had a political career before I saw him at the airport (very cool) and ran for the republican nomination (but lost).
(everyone should know this)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's an EASY one: Senator John McCain Jr.
HA!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

Originally posted by Daedalus
Who's plane was hit by the stray rocket on the Forrestal? The pilot jumped out of his plane through burning jet fuel, to relative safety, to fight the fire (I presume), only later to be shot down over Korea, put in a POW camp for eons, refusing to be sent home just because his father was an admiral, when his brothers were still interned? Whew, later he had a political career before I saw him at the airport (very cool) and ran for the republican nomination (but lost).
(everyone should know this)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who was the last Naval Aviator that was designated as an ACE?

Shouldn't be too Hard....

ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

goldwingdreams

The answer to the fire question was the USS Oriskany. The Forestal fire occured in July of 1967. I believe the Forestal fire claimed something like 139 lives. The Oriskany fire took about 60 sailors and was the result of a seaman throwing a bruning MK 19 flare into the hangar deck flare locker. Bad news.

The three ships we lost subsequent to the end of WWII were the USS Cochino, USS Threser and the USS Scorpion. All were subs.

Thanks for all those who participated. We'll see you next time on Naveopardy.

twidget

Deskaholic
David Glasgow Farragut
David Dixon Porter
Stephen C. Rowan
George Dewey (the only one to hold the title Admiral of the Navy)

Any takers for the CPO selected to the Baseball hall of fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.