• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope. CVNX-1 (CVN-78) As yet unnamed. USS George H. W. Bush isn't "planned" anymore, it's building. They laid the keel in August.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's one I just thought of. Which Naval Aviator was the first to win the Congressional Medal of Honor? I'll have to look the answer up myself. I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone knows.

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
I think it was Hammann, Charles Hazeltine, awarded for heroism in 1920, but then both Moffett, William A. & Mcdonnell, Edward were both awarded in 1914 who later then commissioned as Naval Aviators.

You have to be more specific with the question.

Here is a good one, what is the history (where did it originate from) of the flap on the back of the enlisted Navy dress uniform?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry, BCH, your answers are incorrect!
#3 was answered by Nittany03....Nice job.
#1 answer was the U.S.S. Pennsylvania!

Originally posted by bch
Originally posted by ea6bflyr
How about...

1. The FIRST arrested landing was on what ship?
-USS Langley

3. Name the person that created the Peacemaker and what happened during the demonstration live fire?

Dahlgren????
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
devl505....Great job (or as Coach Z {http://www.homestarrunner.com} would say...Nice Jorb!)

Anyone know what the board of Inquiry was for? An historical Naval moment!! It was called the ????? affair (hint).

ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by devl505
-The last US Navy man hanged for mutiny was Midshipman Philip Spencer in 1842. The son of Secretary of War John C. Spencer, he had schemed with 2 others to turn his ship to piracy.

-Stephen Decatur was killed by John Barron. Decature had served on an inquiry board which had suspended Barron. Barron was to be reinstated and Decature objected. They fought a duel and Decature was killed.
UCMJ article is 114
Article 114—Dueling

Text.

“Any person subject to this chapter who fights or promotes, or is concerned in or connives at fighting a duel, or who, having knowledge of a challenge sent or about to be sent, fails to report the fact promptly to the proper authority, shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

devl505

LTJG
pilot
It was called the Chesapeake Affair. In 1807 Barron was in command of the Frigate Chesapeake which came under attack by the more powerful British ship Leopard off the coast of Norfolk. Realizing he had only one gun in place he surrendered and allowed 4 supposed British deserters to be taken off the ship. After returning to Norfolk a board of inquiry was convened and found Barron guilty. He was expelled from the Navy for a period of 5 years. He was outraged that his old friend Decature who was on the board voted against him, and this came to a head in 1820 with the duel previously mentioned.

devl505

LTJG
pilot
I have a question of my own.

What is the Naval history behind the naming of Chicago O'Hare International Airport?

philip78bull

In 1949, six years after he went down near Tarawa Island in the South Pacific, Orchard Depot was renamed O'Hare International Airport, in memory of Navy Lt. Cmdr. Edward Henry (Butch) O'Hare.

Butch O'Hare had graduated from the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, in the summer of 1937. About ten weeks after the "day of infamy," as Roosevelt called the Pearl Harbor attack, Lt. O'Hare was flying his single-engine Grumman F4F fighter in the area of the Gilbert Islands.

O'Hare, accompanied by a wingman in another Grumman Hellcat, spotted nine Japanese twin-engine bombers zeroing in on O'Hare's floating home base, the aircraft carrier Lexington. At that crucial moment, only O'Hare and his wingmate were aloft. The rest of the Lexington's fighters were aboard the carrier refueling and reloading, with the enemy bombers only about four minutes from their target.

All told, O'Hare destroyed five of the nine invaders, with three more being killed by Lexington pilots who were able to take off after O'Hare first engaged the bombers. The last Japanese plane, badly damaged in the shootout with O'Hare, was able to get out of the immediate area, but is believed to have crashed at sea some distance away.

For his inspiring exploits on that fatal day in February 1942, Lt. Edward H. (Butch) O'Hare was designated the U.S. Navy's first "Ace" of World War II. He was immediately promoted two grades from Lieutenant Junior Grade to Lieutenant Commander.

"O'Hare didn't give the Japs a chance," his commander later said of the dogfight. "He just outnumbered them."

President Roosevelt called Lt. O'Hare's outstanding performance, "One of the most daring, if not the most daring, single action in the history of combat aviation." Years later, when Chicago's Orchard Depot airport was renamed for Butch O'Hare, President Roosevelt's glowing tribute was engraved on a plaque and included in an exhibit that stood for years in the International Terminal.

Butch O'Hare's singular exploits did not stop with the Lexington defense. Later in 1942 and in 1943, he acquitted himself brilliantly in developing new techniques for intercepting and destroying enemy aircraft at night. He subsequently earned the Distinguished Flying Cross for these efforts.

But on November 26, 1943, while on a night interception near Tarawa, Butch O'Hare was shot down and lost at sea.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Here is the next Trivia Question:

Are these questions that people actually know the answer to or are people going to websites and looking it up?

Kobyra

P.S. I left out copy and pasting from a website without citing since no one planning to become an Officer would do something like that.

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by digger
Here is a good one, what is the history (where did it originate from) of the flap on the back of the enlisted Navy dress uniform?

Back in the day when the ships were wooden, the men were men, (and the sheep were afraid?
boggled_125.gif
), deck seamen usually had long hair. They would tar their hair while working, so needed the flap to prevent the tar from ruining their shirts.

During what war did women nurses first serve aboard Navy ships?

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Well that certainly doesn't apply to me Kobyra, as I am a bottomless well of useless trivia. lol

Twidget, my EDUCATED GUESS (thanks to Kobyra) would be the Civil War. Our culture prior to that era probably wouldn't have any of that, but due to the meat grinder that was the War of Secession were left with no alternative.

goldwingdreams

What carrier caught fire on 26 October 1966 and why?

Subsequent to WWII how many ships in the US Navy have sunk resulting in the loss of life? What is their name(s) and hull number(s)?

twidget

Deskaholic
Good guess, Slasher.

My guess on the fire, was the USS Forestfire, I mean Forrestal. From what I remember there was a plane fire with some ordnance that exploded. That's without looking it up though, so feel free to correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.