• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Test Pilot School info please

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Are there places to do outdoor rec stuff (mtn biking, hiking, etc) around the area or a fairly decent drive?

Think swampy :D My wife still refers to the mtn bike ride at Cederville as the trip "in country" ended up wading out up to our knees at dark. This is after she hit a wild Turkey that ran out in front of her. Yes, I hear about this again and again.

If you go north up towards Baltimore, call it a couple hours, there's a lot of good riding in the Patapsco State forest.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are there places to do outdoor rec stuff (mtn biking, hiking, etc) around the area or a fairly decent drive?

I'm guessing there is little to no public transportation? If we went there I'd be most likely working up in DC. If we lived half way between the 2, would the commute down to Pax be doable? I used to commute from SD to Orange County, so I'm used to the commute but would want to make it as painless as possible.

Like HH-60H said it depends on where you work in DC. If it is off a Metro station you should be good most places but if you are driving it is not advisable to work in Virginia or north of the city (Bethesda). Depending on what you do, you might want to look at other options like Annapolis and Baltimore.

Best advice is to talk to people who have been there and you should figure out quick where a tolerable commute would be for you.

P.S. Avoid living in Prince George's (PG) County (and Charles County is slowly sliding downhill from all the PG types moving down there, hence Waldorf becoming a not so nice place).......I should know, I grew up in PG and went to high school down the road from ONI.....Fun Times! :(

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
As said above I commuted from Central DC and From Vienna (either from girlfriends house or family members house) as well for about 3 months, it took about 1:30 each way, it was rough but it actually wasn't that bad of a job, it is totally doable.

phrogpilot73

I'm currently living in Odenton, and commuting down to Lexington Park. It's about 1:20 in the morning, and 1:30-1:40 in the evening (traffic is not an issue, mostly a reverse commute). Rather than looking into Annapolis (you'd either have to get on Rt 50 to Rt 301 or take Rt 2 to Rt 4. It takes a little longer, and is a little bit more a painful drive from Annapolis. Not to toot the horn of Odenton, but it's surprisingly a nice place to live if you're looking to commute to DC and LP. 20 minutes to the nearest Metro station (New Carrollton), and the times above down to LP. Plus, the housing is a little cheaper than Annapolis - and there's actually starting to be a pretty good infrastructure. Plus, you're only 15 minutes from BWI, and 30 minutes from Baltimore.

oceanview

Thanks to everyone for the information. We are both from Northern VA (McLean and Falls Church) originally but neither of us want to live up there. We don't enjoy commutes. I commuted from Norfolk to Williamsburg (William & Mary) for graduate school for two years and I will never do something like that again. I felt like I was wasting my life in the car. My career is actually possible in rural areas so I think I will be okay.

I have heard from friends that Lexington Park, Great Mills, California, and Lusby (if you are willing to do the bridge) are nice areas. Any other suggestions? Or any places to definately avoid? I was also told that TPS guys/gals often have to study in secure spaces so they will go home for dinner and then back on base to study. Friends suggested living very close to base for this purpose (basically I would have a better chance of seeing my husband if the commute was easy).

Helo_Wifey, good luck to your husband! It is true that no helo guys got selected this last board. But that may be great news for you for the next board. But it is all "needs of the Navy" and whatever projects they have I suppose. We really thought it would take my husband several tries to get in. We were caught off guard that he got in on the first try - and because of it he will be going geo-bachelor for nearly 7 months while I finish up work in Norfolk and get myself together to move up there. Oh well!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was also told that TPS guys/gals often have to study in secure spaces so they will go home for dinner and then back on base to study. Friends suggested living very close to base for this purpose (basically I would have a better chance of seeing my husband if the commute was easy).

THye may go back to study but not because of any requirement to be in a secure space. TPS is more like a grad school campus. The aero may be advanced, but it's not classified.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Not trying to be a downer here, but I understand that folks are getting IA's post-TPS these days. I don't know how often, but it is a question he ought to ask.

helo_wifey

Helo_Wifey, good luck to your husband! It is true that no helo guys got selected this last board. But that may be great news for you for the next board. But it is all "needs of the Navy" and whatever projects they have I suppose. We really thought it would take my husband several tries to get in. We were caught off guard that he got in on the first try - and because of it he will be going geo-bachelor for nearly 7 months while I finish up work in Norfolk and get myself together to move up there. Oh well!

I did see that no helo guys were selected, I've been keeping my eye out on the board. My husband will do his first attempt in next Jan. It's a little early for us since he's still slated to be out here (Japan) another year and a couple months but he's taking the advice and applying early and often! *fingers crossed* Thanks for posting the question, I figured I would pose it if he got in, and didn't want to jump the gun since we don't know yet. :)

helo_wifey

Not trying to be a downer here, but I understand that folks are getting IA's post-TPS these days. I don't know how often, but it is a question he ought to ask.

We're not worrying only because right now IA's seem to be part of the game no matter where you go. It's most likely going to be part of his career progression, and uncertainty comes along with being in the Navy. He'll go, he'll learn, and he may not like it but that too will end and we'll move on. I know it's something that everyone puts a bad spin on but it's not something he'll have a choice in so we'll make the best of it (if it happens).

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
That is a healthy attitude towards it. (There are some acquisition type jobs that are exempt - DCMA flight crews, for instance, and I am sure there are others as well).

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
can anyone shed some light on the application process? besides what they have listed on their website what are they looking for in an applicant? And how early should you apply? Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would also recommend Leonardtown, Hollywood, Solomon's, and if you can stand a 30 minute commute - Prince Frederick.

... and are not afraid of tall bridges....

110199underbrd14.jpg

It's a bit sporting in winter when it gets icy and wind is gusting...nice view from the top though