• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Test Pilot School info please

oceanview

Hey,
My husband will be starting TPS in January. I was hoping someone could shed some light on what I should expect in Pax River, what I should expect my husband's stress level to be, and any other pertinent information.
Thanks in advance!

helo_wifey

Wow...such great info MB. :icon_tong

I'm actually interested in this too, my husband is applying for the next board. Hopefully someone will be able to give a little more insight.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey,
My husband will be starting TPS in January. I was hoping someone could shed some light on what I should expect in Pax River, what I should expect my husband's stress level to be, and any other pertinent information.
Thanks in advance!

Although I am not a graduate of USNTPS, I am a regular visitor there and work and have worked with many graduates. From walking the halls and flightline, it appears to be grad school meets the RAG. The alumni are very tight and all speak fondly and proudly of their TPS class. The staff is first class and there to instruct, help and guide the students. I have yet to run into anyone there who seems stressed. I think they do a pretty good job screeening folks on the front end to ensure each student has requisite creditentials to succeed.

As to Pax, I think it is fairly unique as a Navy base and don't agree with MB. I don't know where he got info that there is a del Taco there. You'll be a hop, skip and a jump from DC area without the traffic which is nice (about 80 miles). A lot of people absolutely fall in love with St Mary's country and never want to leave. It's somewhat secluded and used to be below average in terms of community retail and other services, but with BRAC actions and move of NAVAIRSYSCOM HQ and the program offices to Pax in 1997, the infrastructure has been improving dramatically ever since and you no longer have to drive to Waldorf or DC area for Starbucks, Target, BJ's, and all the other usual suspects. They no longer roll up the sidewalks and there has been an explosion of decent places to eat right outside the front gate (on base only features Subway and McDonalds) and Solomon Island is a quaint and hip place to frequent almost year round for boating and interesting places to eat and enjoy water views. Housing can be a challenge unless you want to live like MB, but there are lots of options, just not a lot of availability and prices are influenced by proximity to DC and demand (not cheap anymore).

jpm269

pilot
Schnugg,

What do you know about the SMIBS, I thought that us county folk were the only ones familiar with that term.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
He may or may not not know about SMIBs but I do... and I also now realize Milton is the Lexington Park of the Gulf Coast. Thanks US Navy!

If you like living in the sticks, Pax River is for you. Although they've built up the area around Lexington Park in the last few years, the vast majority of the county is still very rural. I still remember moving back there and being pissed off that there are portions of the county where you can't get pizza delivery, cable TV, etc.

The base itself is well maintained, the commissary and exchange are both relatively new. There's a lot of nice outdoor assets there as well, trails, boat ramps, etc. There is a Del Taco, I've seen it.

If you want to get shot, go up to Waldorf (my buddy is a Charles County cop and says things have gotten really bad up near the mall lately)... and if you want to shoot yourself in the foot, live way up north of the base and fight all the Rt. 4/5/235 traffic every day. BTW... Calvert County is nicer than St. Mary's.

oceanview

Thanks for the information everyone! My husband and I are both from DC originally so we are very familiar with what is available to us if we are willing to drive 90 miles. I'll definately avoid Waldorf - I have heard that more times than I can count.

I had to google SMIB - :) - I'll look out for them! We are excited for a change in pace for a few years. And I love mexican so I guess Del Taco is an asset (although I have never eaten there).

I'll tell my husband about the balding/going grey. He is very paranoid about his hair so I'm sure that will freak him out a bit. :)

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Oh I forgot to mention Saint Mary's County is one of two places in the United States where you can buy 10oz cans of beer.

No shit, the locals think it tastes better.:confused:

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
When I was on PTAD at PAX I regularly drove down there from DC. Took about an hour and a half each way. Wouldn't recommend that, it got old really quick, and as far as traffic it depends on which way you are going. Going from Pax to DC in the morning, it is crazy, I would pass lines of cars miles long waiting in traffic to get into the city, and the same is true coming back to PAX at night, but going to Pax in the morning and back to DC at night, you won't hit much traffic. And I was just there about 3 weeks ago and ate at the Del Taco...

PS as far as food, The Blue Wind is a great place to grab lunch (awesome cheese cake) and wine and beer (was able to find some beer there that I had only seen while living in Stockholm and if they dont have it they will try and order it), and they just built a Cheeseburger in Paradise, a Chipotle Grill, and a 5 guys...it really isn't that bad of a place to be.

helo_wifey

Are there places to do outdoor rec stuff (mtn biking, hiking, etc) around the area or a fairly decent drive?

I'm guessing there is little to no public transportation? If we went there I'd be most likely working up in DC. If we lived half way between the 2, would the commute down to Pax be doable? I used to commute from SD to Orange County, so I'm used to the commute but would want to make it as painless as possible.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Are there places to do outdoor rec stuff (mtn biking, hiking, etc) around the area or a fairly decent drive?

I'm guessing there is little to no public transportation? If we went there I'd be most likely working up in DC. If we lived half way between the 2, would the commute down to Pax be doable? I used to commute from SD to Orange County, so I'm used to the commute but would want to make it as painless as possible.

It really depends where in DC you work. If you work on the side that is close to Pax River, Southeast, even as far in as the city center you would face a long but decent commute. If you work out in NorVA or up in Bethesda, you would face quite a painful commute.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Lots of people take that option and there is commuter bus option as well. I worked in DC area for 12 years straight and traffic got worse every year (rush hour congestion seems to start earlier and end later every year). Key is getting near Metro to avoid having to drive very far. Conversely, even with influx of large Navy footprint at Pax with NAVAIRSYSCOM and other NAWC/PEO program office migration there, "rush hour" is very tolerable and a breeze compared to DC or even Tidewater. I find my Road Rage needle mvoing to the right when I get trapped in DC trying to achieve escape velocity or transit the Hampton side of Tidewater during the commuting hours, but Pax has several routes coming and going and only a few areas with stoplights. Pax River congestion is usually at the main gate and spans maybe a 15-20 "vul" period easily avoided by shifting arrival or departure times. Can't remember the last time my Road Rage needle moved there.