• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy SEAL Sell Outs?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I mean the SEAL guys are a bad ass group of guys that really go balls to the wall. The training just beats them down and when they get out of the teams they look like crap from all the abuse, lack of sleep, stress, and constant training they do. I applaud him for doing something as honorable as participating in the mission that killed Bin Laden, killing the guy himself, and just being a bad ass DEVGRU member in general. However, every guy who joins the SEALs becomes aware quickly that the teams are their lives. Divorce rate is over 90%, guys are either deployed or gone training 330 days out of the year, social life revolves around the SEALs, etc. In fact this increases even more so when a SEAL joins DEVGRU. I really do not feel bad for him since being a DEVGRU member and the seniority he had he could have EASILY transferred to be a BUDS instructor for the last 4 years, a sniper course instructor, or even a desk job. SEAL guys love their jobs with a passion but it is very hard to find one who has served a full 20. Yet 4 years away when he and plenty of options to ride out the 4 years easily just makes him seem like a whinny girl. Even gets worse when he complains about family life since joining DEVGRU or the SEALs in general you know you most likely give up that part of your life. Even Chris Kyle said in his book he was aware of the stress that the teams would cause on relationships and family. If you were the guy who killed Bin Laden you would want to tell the story so I do not understand the back lash with that. Chris Kyle, Brandon Webb, and Marcus L. made money off their books and two are movies. If he didn't bitch about how SEALs made things complicated with family life or about not getting benefits with 16 years of service I think there would be less back lash. Although personally I believe SEALs should get an early retirement just due to the physical abuse they endure on their body. Yet that is not the case.
Man, you sound like you've spilled the same blood in the same mud with these guys . . .

Cumulo Nimbus

I mean the SEAL guys are a bad ass group of guys that really go balls to the wall. The training just beats them down and when they get out of the teams they look like crap from all the abuse, lack of sleep, stress, and constant training they do. I applaud him for doing something as honorable as participating in the mission that killed Bin Laden, killing the guy himself, and just being a bad ass DEVGRU member in general. However, every guy who joins the SEALs becomes aware quickly that the teams are their lives. Divorce rate is over 90%, guys are either deployed or gone training 330 days out of the year, social life revolves around the SEALs, etc. In fact this increases even more so when a SEAL joins DEVGRU. I really do not feel bad for him since being a DEVGRU member and the seniority he had he could have EASILY transferred to be a BUDS instructor for the last 4 years, a sniper course instructor, or even a desk job. SEAL guys love their jobs with a passion but it is very hard to find one who has served a full 20. Yet 4 years away when he and plenty of options to ride out the 4 years easily just makes him seem like a whinny girl. Even gets worse when he complains about family life since joining DEVGRU or the SEALs in general you know you most likely give up that part of your life. Even Chris Kyle said in his book he was aware of the stress that the teams would cause on relationships and family. If you were the guy who killed Bin Laden you would want to tell the story so I do not understand the back lash with that. Chris Kyle, Brandon Webb, and Marcus L. made money off their books and two are movies. If he didn't bitch about how SEALs made things complicated with family life or about not getting benefits with 16 years of service I think there would be less back lash. Although personally I believe SEALs should get an early retirement just due to the physical abuse they endure on their body. Yet that is not the case.

Please....continue to teach us more about the SEALs through your vast military experience.

CAMike

None
Contributor
sundevil may have a legitimate point. My personal divorce rate is 100% (been married once), I've been called a snipe'r' (was a SWO) and continually beat my body up with numerous physical activities that pushed me to the my limit. I've even been kicked out of a couple of O'Clubs for general bad assert/behavior, but it was actually the SUPPO that started all that shit EVERY time. Anyway, as I was saying......

oh never mind.

Sundevil106150

sundevil may have a legitimate point. My personal divorce rate is 100% (been married once), I've been called a snipe'r' (was a SWO) and continually beat my body up with numerous physical activities that pushed me to the my limit. I've even been kicked out of a couple of O'Clubs for general bad assert/behavior, but it was actually the SUPPO that started all that shit EVERY time. Anyway, as I was saying......

oh never mind.
I thoroughly enjoy these replies :)

jmcquate

Contributor
I agree with the kid and I've seen Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and Navy SEALs, Hell I should be wearing a Budweiser pin (Chuck Sheen is one bad ass operator).

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Only something like 15-20% of servicemembers ever reach retirement to begin with. There are many servicemembers who endured similar punishment humping mountains and desert in OEF/OIF the last 10 years and they also must do 20 to get a pension. While it pales in comparison to the pension, there is disability retirement for those whose bodies become too worn down to continue to serve. Even those who make it to 20yrs can still collect disability and SS disability for their service related injuries.

There are drawbacks to the 20year cliff system we have that are worth discussing, but I don't think an exception should be made just for SEALs or other SOF communities.

Not so sure a medical pension and a lifetime of VA hospitals is so great a deal.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
60 Minutes did a pretty good interview and analysis of supposedly outed classified information by the shooter. They showed a copy of his new book with SEAL Team 6 redacted. Really.

He's probably not someone who is prepared to handle this sort of hype very well. He looks uncomfortable, so we tend to think he is doing something wrong.

(I must say, those guys are in fine shape...even if they are wearing their hair like Sasquatch... &:))

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gotta make a living...........DevGru on the resume interests a very small set of civilian suitors.

True, but they do usually pay pretty well. It does belie some of his claims in the original article though, if it was him. I suppose it is better than Oliver North and Allen West making careers in the public sphere after earning notoriety for the wrong reasons.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What did Allen West do that was so notorious? Haven't heard anything. Of course, you don't hear about Ollie's adventures much today either.