• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or MC Aviation?

exNavyOffRec

The recruiter I'm working for said before ocs I'll fly out to pensacola to do the flight physical and it's a "two day affair." It sounds pretty legitimate.

strange that no other aviation guys have done that on here, RUFIO could let you know if that is a recent change, but given the low number of people that get NPQ for aviation it seems like money not well spent.

It is standard for the USMC to do that, but their numbers are much lower.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
strange that no other aviation guys have done that on here, RUFIO could let you know if that is a recent change, but given the low number of people that get NPQ for aviation it seems like money not well spent.

It is standard for the USMC to do that, but their numbers are much lower.

It's probably cheaper than X weeks of E-5 pay for people who DOR or can't get redesignted, or for the pay of those who get stuck in student pool for a month or two afterwards waiting to redesignate or for a medical condition to clear up to get their NAMI letter.

exNavyOffRec

It's probably cheaper than X weeks of E-5 pay for people who DOR or can't get redesignted, or for the pay of those who get stuck in student pool for a month or two afterwards waiting to redesignate or for a medical condition to clear up to get their NAMI letter.

I am not sure, there really aren't that many that need to redesignate, and pretty much everyone that we lost from my NRD the writing was on the wall, they had issues and the OR and the applicant did everything they could to find a doc that would say "OK" whether it was depth perception, color blindness, asthma, or other injury, and for the most part they were then just DQ'd for aviation at OCS, maybe if N3M had stuck to their guns that would reduce the issues.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Flight + hotel + rental car + per diem for a 3 day trip can easily add up to more than a month of E-5 w/ under 1 year of service pay.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Flight + hotel + rental car + per diem for a 3 day trip can easily add up to more than a month of E-5 w/ under 1 year of service pay.

Month of E-5 pay with under 2 years: $2,203.80 (2015 rates before Taxes)

Calculated for a 3 day trip to NAMI staying at the Navy Gateway Inn and suites with summer per diem rates:

Hotel at Navy gateway inn and suites: $57 a night x 3 = $171
Per diem for Escambia county during summer: $121 a day x 3 = $363
Full size Rental car from on base Enterprise: $40.98 day x 3 = $123 ( Which you might not get anyways. MATSG handles transportation for OCS candidates)
Flight from Anchorage, Alaska to NAS Pensacola = $643 (Biggest variables here based off of travel dates, location, and economy)

Total expense charge for trip: ~ $1300

So, no Spekkio not quite over a month worths of E-5 basic pay, it's actually quite far off, and I didn't even include all of the other stuff an E-5 would probably get, BAS, BAH, plus other incentives every month in NAS Pensacola.

Bjlasc01

You guys know that they do not send any OCS guys to Pensacola for their NAMI physical so it doesn't make much of a difference.

exNavyOffRec

Month of E-5 pay with under 2 years: $2,203.80 (2015 rates before Taxes)

Calculated for a 3 day trip to NAMI staying at the Navy Gateway Inn and suites with summer per diem rates:

Hotel at Navy gateway inn and suites: $57 a night x 3 = $171
Per diem for Escambia county during summer: $121 a day x 3 = $363
Full size Rental car from on base Enterprise: $40.98 day x 3 = $123 ( Which you might not get anyways. MATSG handles transportation for OCS candidates)
Flight from Anchorage, Alaska to NAS Pensacola = $643 (Biggest variables here based off of travel dates, location, and economy)

Total expense charge for trip: ~ $1300

So, no Spekkio not quite over a month worths of E-5 basic pay, it's actually quite far off, and I didn't even include all of the other stuff an E-5 would probably get, BAS, BAH, plus other incentives every month in NAS Pensacola.

I traveled quite a bit to FL while on recruiting, cost would vary wildly, 400 up to 1K for the NVIP guys we were bringing, the guys from AK would always have an extra day due to available flights so ad another day of per diem and hotel.

I am sure if they added up the cost of sending every SNA and SNFO down the Pensacola, then looked at the money lost on drops, the cost of sending them down would not be worth it at all.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I said can, not will. Come back when the recruiter is booking a flight mid July from 1-2 weeks out from hot vacation spots. Even your numbers add up to 2 weeks of pay, which still points to swift outprocessing to be the best way for the Navy cut costs on applicants who fail their flight physicals.

Most OCS candidates also don't collect BAH or BAS, so that doesn't really factor into the equation here.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I said can, not will. Come back when the recruiter is booking a flight mid July from 1-2 weeks out from hot vacation spots. Even your numbers add up to 2 weeks of pay, which still points to swift outprocessing to be the best way for the Navy cut costs on applicants who fail their flight physicals.

Most OCS candidates also don't collect BAH or BAS, so that doesn't really factor into the equation here.

Fair enough, but the math doesn't support it. You could do the math for the peak travel times vice the average April (as I noted), but you would still save money in the off-season compared to having a kid wait around on super-fast NAMI waivers, and admin processing while collecting a paycheck. It's definitely not a $900 difference from E-5 pay. 2-way $1550 plane tickets (which would meet your E-5 pay) are rare especially CONUS with decent amount of lead time. OSOs schedule their candidates months out, and I had at least 2 months notice prior to departing.

WildcatAlumni

You guys know that they do not send any OCS guys to Pensacola for their NAMI physical so it doesn't make much of a difference.

I can say with certainty you will get flown down there if youre going Marine Corps OCS route. Before you get up for selection, you have to get cleared by NAMI. However, I know my friend in Navy ROTC didnt go to Pensacola though while he was in college.

NAMI is fun and awkward. Couldnt tell if some of the cuties in my group were hitting on me or not because you all do get your own hotel room and lots of free time.... I dont think thats against the rules either since we arent commissioned or even candidates at that point. I worked out in the gym there to kill time, the guys at the front desk dont seem to care much as long as you dont go during the rush hour and that place is packed full of DYEL 19 yr olds like I have never seen on any college campus.

Hopefully you wont go in the winter if you do go. I was supposed to fly back the day the whole south got hit by a blizzard closing every airport and way out of the south. Was stuck in the hotel in Pensacola for two extra days until they could fly to me Texas, to go back to Philly.

Sonog

pilot
I can say with certainty you will get flown down there if youre going Marine Corps OCS route. Before you get up for selection, you have to get cleared by NAMI. However, I know my friend in Navy ROTC didnt go to Pensacola though while he was in college.

NAMI is fun and awkward. Couldnt tell if some of the cuties in my group were hitting on me or not because you all do get your own hotel room and lots of free time.... I dont think thats against the rules either since we arent commissioned or even candidates at that point. I worked out in the gym there to kill time, the guys at the front desk dont seem to care much as long as you dont go during the rush hour and that place is packed full of DYEL 19 yr olds like I have never seen on any college campus.

Hopefully you wont go in the winter if you do go. I was supposed to fly back the day the whole south got hit by a blizzard closing every airport and way out of the south. Was stuck in the hotel in Pensacola for two extra days until they could fly to me Texas, to go back to Philly.

huh

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

108229-you-just-gotta-keep-livin-man-O0XZ.gif