• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or MC Aviation?

Jenlm

I am currently a graduate student finishing up my Master's degree in Chemistry. I've started the application process for Navy Aviation and I'm studying for the ASTB but I'm wondering what the major differences are between Navy and MC Aviation. I know the aircraft and types of missions are different but outside of those things what are the pros/cons of one branch over the other?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I'm in a similar position. It depends on not only what types of flying you want to do, but what kind of officer you want to be:

Navy: Much more sea/power projection focused. Most squadrons are sea-going and are embarked on CVNs, DDs, DDGs, etc. Larger number of fixed wing ops. Officer core is very heterogeneous; aviation is a distinct component and has its differences/rivalries with officers in other divisions.

Marines: "Every officer is a rifleman", pilots go to TBS just like everyone else. Officer core is much more homogeneous because of the shared ground pounder first identity, you are very much a Marine before you are a pilot. Flying is more orientated to ground-support, with squadrons either embarked on Amphibious assault vessels (for helos and STOVL) or forward deployed as expeditionary squadrons. An extremely small number of -18C squadrons are embarked on a CVN.

I'm going Navy because I decided I want to go to sea and fly off the boat, and I identify with the Navy officer culture. Both are great services with their own plusses and minuses, it's just up to you to decide which one fits with your personality.

jtmedli

pilot
Basically, does the idea of living on a boat for months at a time sound thrilling to you? Or does the possibility of living the desert and eating MREs for breakfast, lunch and dinner sound better? Both have some very cool things about them. Both have some very shitty things about them. If you'd like to talk about my experiences as a JO and Naval Aviator then feel free to PM me for some more candid conversations about the things I have experienced.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Dirt dets to a combat zone for Marines are now a thing of the past for the near future, or at minimum will be few and far between. MEUs, Crisis Response dets, and UDPs are pretty much the only game in town right now, but it is likely that you can go an entire career with out ever flying off of an amphib or carrier. Flying for the MAGTF is a bit more ground centric, and it's not just because we all went to TBS (although that lays a foundation). I don't for once think that I'm an infantryman in the cockpit, and I sure as hell don't try to take their place, but I do understand that decision making and execution in the aircraft will have an impact on what end state that a Marine ground unit is trying to achieve, and potentially save some young Marines lives. Yes, there have been moments where you recognize voices on the radio and it gives a better feeling knowing that the dude on the deck trust you more and vice versa. I've also seen that go the opposite direction because the trust can lead to sloppiness and people not QA'ing each other's work. You're involved in a lot of the in depth face-to-face planning with other Marine officers and units than the typical Air Force or Navy squadron. You'll actually sit on staffs and planners that will seek out Marine air capabilities and work that planning into their operational picture. Marines tend to get irritated when other commanders start to use the MAGTF as a lunchbox full of goodies and rip apart the unit to plug and play elsewhere. Mainly because other services don't realize how that has second and third order effects on MAGTF capabilities, and as a Marine aviator it's our job to ensure that is communicated and the risk if that does happen. 90% of your tasking and support will be geared to ensuring success of the GCE and LCE, and the other 10% will be joint ISO whatever task force your supporting depending on the phase of the operation/exercise and TMS. Vice the Navy where they fly ISO of their particular ready group and it seems like they have far greater joint tasking than most Marine units (VMAQ aside, Navy guys feel free to chime in on that).

B-billet wise, you can expect to spend some time either as a FAC, Air Officer, wing support unit, or in the supporting establishment making MOS qualified Marines in they're particular area or at a TECOM unit training/evaluating individuals or units getting ready to deploy. The Navy and Marines share a lot of same educational, training, inter-service, and exchange billet opportunities (TPS, VTs/HTs, EWTGPAC/LANT, FAO, NPS, Topgun, Blue Angels, VX/HX test squadrons....and insert your scholar program of choice here). There are however a few things post-fleet tour Marines can do that Navy guys can not (HMX-1 comes to mind). Culturally, Marine air units still expect you to be a Marine officer and hold pretty high standards, and tend to be a little more up-tight than what I have seen from the Navy units I've worked, but we all still speak pilot, and execute based off the same joint doctrine, with smaller differences in service TTPs. So there are some similarities. If you're looking for a challenge, and to be a card carrying member of America's favorite gun club, then go Marines... and If you can't handle being called out, thrown in the deep end with lots of uncertainty, and nit-picked on every single thing you do because it's not good enough - don't.

Hope that helps.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
I think we could debate for hours about mission types, platforms, quality of life and career opportunities but both services diverge and intersect at many points since the Navy and the Marines are both under the Department of the Navy. The goods and others depend on what type of aviation you are truly interested in.
The important question is do you want to be a Marine? I would submit that if that answer is not a resounding yes then the Navy is a better fit.

exNavyOffRec

I am currently a graduate student finishing up my Master's degree in Chemistry. I've started the application process for Navy Aviation and I'm studying for the ASTB but I'm wondering what the major differences are between Navy and MC Aviation. I know the aircraft and types of missions are different but outside of those things what are the pros/cons of one branch over the other?

On the application side for the USN if you have a decent GPA and ASTB of 7 or better you should have a very good shot of getting selected. The USMC will take lower ASTB scores but expect a perfect or near perfect PFT score.

Sonog

pilot
I'd say do a lot of research into the Marine side of things, and if you think you would be a fit... apply for both. If you want to be a Naval Aviator, I see both services as a means towards a goal. The post college application process can be lengthy for some people so if you have an opportunity with either service, take it. How far are you into grad school? Is the PLC-C while going to grad school loop hole still available?

Jenlm

The plan currently is to be finished with my Masters this fall. Almost done with the application for the Navy side, I just have the ASTB left. I've been studying for a couple weeks mainly for the aviation section of it so I'm going to be taking it sometime in the next couple weeks. If I'm understanding correctly the Navy side has a little more of a relaxed attitude? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I'm understanding correctly the Navy side has a little more of a relaxed attitude? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

If we're going with broad generalizations, then yes, though it's less of a factor within the aviation community.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Kinda....there are all types in both branches. I have met some really chill Marines and some really up tight Navy guys.

However, yes. For the most part the Marine Corps is more "gung-ho" than the Navy culture. There is more of a warrior bravado. Like was said before, if you don't have a burning desire to be a Marine and lead Marines, Navy is a better fit.

Jenlm

Kinda....there are all types in both branches. I have met some really chill Marines and some really up tight Navy guys.

However, yes. For the most part the Marine Corps is more "gung-ho" than the Navy culture. There is more of a warrior bravado. Like was said before, if you don't have a burning desire to be a Marine and lead Marines, Navy is a better fit.

Well I guess this is my answer then! Thanks for the help

Zanklin

Oh the per diem you'll make...
pilot

Haircuts.