• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy intercepts Russian bombers

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Here's some of the boys from HS-8 gettin' some --- different day, different KASHIN, Sea of Japan, 1973(?) -74(?)... HELO LOVE!! :)

dsc01949smallqt4.jpg

photo by A4sForever

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Or course ... had this been .... "real" .... one of us would have killed the other way before the shutter on my PENTAX clicked ... I'm pretty sure I would have walked away based on superior skill and cunning .... :)

Just out of legitimate historical curiosity what ordnance would you be carrying on an A4 that would be able to take out a destroyer? Or are you saying that you would have walked away by just avoiding the destroyer's weapon systems? If the first question breaches any classified information please don't answer, but I figured given the time frame any information about the ordnance would be unclassified by now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just out of legitimate historical curiosity what ordnance would you be carrying on an A4 that would be able to take out a destroyer? ...
Well, for starters, how about some of these?? They should work.

.... and don't EVEN get me started on 20 mike-mike. :)

a4ordnanceaj5.jpg

But: since I was flyin' an A-6 .... how about some of these??

They should work. And don't EVEN get me started on Rockeyes ... :)

a6intrudersg3.jpg

By the way ... the A-6 dropped MORE ordnance in Vietnam than the B-52. :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of damage could you do to superstructures of the day (today?) with "just guns??"

Provided you got close enough to use them lots and lots and lots. SAPHEI(Semi-armor peircing high explosive incendiary) is good stuff. Most ships are fairly thin these days.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Often forgotten are the old MK-52 and Mk-55 1,000 lb. air-launched anti-ship mines that blocked Haiphong Harbor and many other inlets. They would do a job on a ship - and did ... only delayed.

wamusminesmk55picxc7.jpg

mk52cj7.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What kind of damage could you do to superstructures of the day (today?) with "just guns??"
The A-4 carried 2 X Colt/Browning Mk 12 20 mm cannon. They could spit out @ 1000 rd/min with a muzzle velocity > 3000 ft/s. I don't remember the projectile weight, but it was "sufficient", shall we say? Although the Mk 12 was prone to jamming in the F-8 during high-G dogfight maneuvering, it worked great as a strafing gun in either bird.

In the ground attack mode when carried by the A-4, the two Mk 12's "whipped", thus aiding the "spread" of the rounds. When loaded w/ HE, AP, and incendiary or tracer rounds, the two guns could shred the topsides of anything less armored than a BB or CA with the resultant devastation of electronics and personnel.

Today?? With a 20 or 30 mm Gatling???

Oh! Be still, my beatin', strafin' - luvin' heart ... :)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
In the ground attack mode when carried by the A-4, the two Mk 12's "whipped", thus aiding the "spread" of the rounds. When loaded w/ HE, AP, and incendiary or tracer rounds, the two guns could shred the topsides of anything less armored than a BB or CA with the resultant devastation of electronics and personnel.

Today?? With a 20 or 30 mm Gatling???

Oh! Be still, my beatin', strafin' - luvin' heart ... :)

I remember the old man telling me part of the preflight on the Scooter was tugging on the barrels to make sure they were appropriatley "loose."

These days, it's 4-6,000 rounds/min. The gun is also canted up 2 degree's for air-air.

Nothing gets your blood going more than throwing the master arm switch up over bad guy land with the gun selected.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Strange pix -- that guy is REALLY sittin' high in the seat, ..... or .... with the pix angle -- it looks like he's sitting in the seat w/out the benefit of any left side canopy glass -- i.e., you can see a little "white" of his helmet outline over the canopy center rail !!! :eek:

That would certainly be nice on a hot day.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
now that you mention it....it does look a little funny. It came off of the wiki site for walleye.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
And of course the always popular 500 Paveway II with a Shrike rocket motor up its ass a.k.a. AGM-123 Skipper.
IranianNavy.jpg