• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Air Stations, and some history behind them.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
no, the navy puts traffic patterns over their houses to specifically annoy the sh!t out of them.

I never understood the term master jet base.

Are there master helo bases and master propeller bases too?

I think Jax is considered a "Master ASW Base"

In Pursuit

pilot
Not all the helos came out of NAS NO.

A lot of us came off the Truman, and used NAS as a gas stop. There was not enough room (or gas) there for all of us.

You are correct: just most of the helos were operating out of Belle Chasse. When you have 60 to 70 helos based out of NAS NOLA at the height of the rescue/recovery phase and at times 20 to 40 "big wing" acft on the ramp during the day, concrete became a scarce commodity. It was reported that NAS NOLA became the 5th busiest arpt in CONUS during that time (not bad considering everything including the tower was running off of emergency power. A true tribute to the professionalism of the Navy, Coastie, Army, AF and MC aircrew that there were zero aviation mishaps at NAS during that time).

Plenty of gas though: thanks to a 1 million gal. + JP-8 qty on hand pre-storm plus a steady stream of KC-135s bringing in "opportunity gas" for the first week or so that was immediately downloaded into JP-8 fuel trucks after landing. Biggest fuel problem the first few days was keeping the emergency generators that were pumping the gas from underground storage tanks from burning out due to 24/7 operation. That's been solved somewhat if another "big one" happens by installing permament emergency generators at the fuel farm, something that didn't exist pre-K.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does that make Whidbey. the 'Master Geek Base'? ;)

Master Attack Base? Remember they had A-6's there for the longest time.....right A4s! To quote someone on this site: "There's no slack in Light/Medium/Heavy/Electronic Attack." :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Coonass Militia. Was changed to "Bayou Militia" in the PC Tsunami of the 90s. Good guys. Had quite a bit of fun doing 1 v1 with them back in the day: Hornets v Eagles.
Quite correct.

They even painted "Coonass Militia" on the tails of their Fox-Fours when I "knew" them. To know them was to love them; a great bunch of guys. :D

Welcome to the narco-like-web-insanity that is Air Warriors. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Master Attack Base? Remember they had A-6's there for the longest time.....right A4s! To quote someone on this site: "There's no slack in Light/Medium/Heavy/Electronic Attack." :D

-ea6bflyr ;)
ALSO quite correct. :D

BOMBERS galore (wasn't she in a James Bond movie?) w/ 30-50 birds inhabiting the ramp on the ATTACK side of the house at any one time -- back in the days of "COMMATVAQWINGPAC" ... now that's a mouthful.

But it could never be considered a ....
'Master Geek Base'
.... as some have suggested ... if anything, it would have to be a MASTER QUEER BASE if one were to carry on the namesake and traditions of the VAQ/VQ communities ... :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
or "MASTER DOUBLE UGLY BASE"

For you youngsters, here's the background story: A-6's were UGLY and the EA-6's were DOUBLE UGLY.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
If this is a re-post then feel free to haze me.

This is the recording of a five ship form flight in the old SNJ T-6 out of Saufley that is supposed to have 4 student solos followed by a chase IP. Instead, when the 4 students walk out to their aircraft they are intercepted by 4 instructors who replace them unbeknownst to the instructor chase pilot. The 4 "students" proceed to FUBAR the hell out of the hop. One hell of a practical joke

If you wear headphones, you can make out the dialogue better.

Classic quote from the Chase IP "...Will you please shoot them down..."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And then there's the OREGON AIR & SPACE MUSEUM in Eugene; don't know much about it-- never been there -- seems like a smaller offering.

And all 3 in hippie-smell, Oregon ... now who'da thunk ???? :)

It's a pretty small place...they have an A-6E and an AF F-4, as well as a burned up MIG-15. They host a pretty good fly-in/airshow every other year which I attended a few times. My old man is on their board

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
>>>...would have to be a MASTER QUEER BASE if one were to carry on the namesake and traditions of the VAQ/VQ communities ... :)

BS...I wear my FAIRECONRON 2 patch with pride...among all my other VA/CVA/NAS/AIRCRAFT patches! I PCS'ed out of Rota as an E-5 [AQ(F)-2 P-1, Flight Skins], off to P'Cola as a NavCad...virtually "owned" WV-2Q #14...skeleton crew, radar tech & operator...met a bunch of squadron mates at JAX a couple years later, during the "Cuban Missle" crisis. :icon_wink
VQ-2 lost about 45 men during that time frame...'59-'62:(

exhelodrvr

pilot
If any of you have not seen it ... rent "Dive Bomber", circa 1941 ... a little "hokey", sure ... but it will give you some GREAT shots of period Naval Aviation and the areas surrounding NAS NORIS, where the film was made.

REAL hokey!! But there are some great pictures.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
The Tillamook Air Museum is a great visit, they have a TON of aircraft, including a surprising number of WWII warbirds in flying condition. I've been twice during my time at OSU. Attached is a pic of me with the NAS sign.

Attachments

• me NAS sign.jpg
    me NAS sign.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 37